https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662590 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1200 on: December 03, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »
No Resi unfortunately, but ZombiU will do me just fine, it's pretty much a mix of Resident Evil 1 & 2, Silent Hill 1 with a smidgin of Demon/Dark Souls/roguelike bunged in for good measure. For my money it's the best survival horror game in donkey's years. The dynamic lighting and shadows, particle effects, sound, music, scanner, death mechanic and use of the GamePad all combine to make this a ridiculously tense and stressful game lol.

It really does bring home how easier games have got these days with all the hand-holding. None of that here. And you'll die. A lot. And when you do get a survivor that's lasted for over an hour and got some decent gear you end up crapping yourself because you don't want to die, have your next survivor die before you kill him/her and lose all that gear you've got. I had a survivor that lasted a while, had a couple of grenades, a rifle with a fair amount of ammo, a handgun with a fair amount of ammo and a good amount of health packs. And I lost it. All. :o :'( :o ;D

It's a 9/10 for me personally, any reviewer giving it less than 7 has probably either got the right hump because they were expecting a CoD Zombies/Left 4 Dead/Dead Island experience (despite Ubisoft billing this as a hardcore survival horror game right from the start) or have got the hump for dying too much because they're too used to being mollycoddled by games these days.

My Black Ops finally arrived today, not tried it out yet because I'm addicted to ZombiU. I also bought Trine 2 from the eShop and it's bloomin gorgeous, and I read the other day that the developers are working on a patch to upgrade the visuals even further :o 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Online jman

« Reply #1201 on: December 05, 2012, 07:44:38 AM »
Slowly getting through Spartan Ops on Halo 4 - the gameplay is a bit samey in each missions (its just firefight repackaged after all).. but I love how its presented with the cinematic scenes between each chapter and how it fits into the main campaign storyline.. so its much better than firefight IMO... well worth a look if you get Halo 4.

The reason I stopped playing it last night - I saw Toejam & Earl on XBLA download... so excited.. I just paid for it and downloaded it straight away without reading owt about it... played and finished a Random World.. it was immense.. the nostalgia was brilliant..

Then I realised after I finished it that it comes with Toejam & Earl 2 too and I wet my knickers a bit.. fucking love these games.. some of the very best games from the megadrive days.  Looking forward to getting 100% achievements on it...

Just need Road Rash and the multiple Desert/Jungle/Urban Strikes and I'll be a very happy bunny indeed. (And if Sega are reading.. then HD remakes of Shenmue 1 & 2 and a Chu Chu Rocket re-release wouldnt go amiss either!)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:04:19 AM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #1202 on: December 06, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
Been feeling the urge to play through the Portal games again lately.
Played Portal 1 last weekend (or rather me and one of the kids played it on her profile) - but I sold my Portal 2 a few days after buying it, while it still had a lot of value. After looking around and getting no joy on finding a copy for less than £10 this week I've gone for a 30 day free trial of Blockbuster's rental service.
Have put Portal 2 on my list, of course, and marked it "top ticket" (priority). Can have two at a time so have also put a load of other games I'm half-interested in onto my list, including the latest Halo, Hitman, Assassins Creed, and Max Payne games amongst others.

Must remember to cancel before the 30 days pass. Silly time to sign up, tbh - means the free month runs out over Christmas, so to be safe I'll have to return everything in about 3 weeks and cancel then. Also, it means taking COD out of the machine, while I'm still loving it. But free is free... ;)
There's mention on that link of getting £15 free credit to spend on the Blockbuster Marketplace, too - but you need to pay a month to get that. So not the end of the world if I don't cancel until mid/late January - means I get an extra month of rentals plus £15 credit, but I have to pay £9.99...

Preferred the Lovefilm deal I had a few years back, mind. That was spot on. 3 games at a time, 3 months free trial.

Got Portal 2 on Friday last week (and on Sat I got some crap wii game I'd put on my list to make up the numbers). Portal was great fun to play through again. Sent it (and the Zelda game) back on Monday.
The service doesn't seem, from very early impressions, to be as good as Lovefilm's was a few years back when I trialled their service. With Lovefilm I seem to recall it was a very quick turnaround - if you posted a game back to them on Monday you'd have an email acknowledgement of receipt on Tues morning, a dispatch email for your next game later on Tues, and receive it on Wed.
With Blockbuster I returned the two games Monday, got email acknowledging receipt on Tues night, and nothing since. It's now Thurs and nothing's been dispatched.
I only have 8 things in my list (it's hard to find 10 games you want to hire), but it's not like they're all brand new, dead old, or extremely rare. I recall with Lovefilm I usually had about the same number and type on my want list, but never had to wait between hires...

Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1203 on: December 06, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
Bought another 2 games from the U eShop, Nano Assault Neo and Puddle. Haven't tried the latter yet but the former is gorgeous looking but the shooting mechanics are going to take a little getting used to, you control the movement of the ship with the left analog stick and the direction of your shots with the right.

Very impressed with the layout and functionality, Nintendo have taken a real step forwards with this...hopefully we're going to see them update the 3DS eShop in the same way when they bring Miiverse to it. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #1204 on: December 06, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »
Twin stick shooter? Oh how Nintendo are revolutionising the market...

I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1205 on: December 07, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »
It's a third party title from an indie developer, Shin'en. And when did I say it was revolutionary..? It's very pretty and good entertainment. Amazing what they've managed to squeeze into 89MB, the visuals, as usual with this developer, is top-notch. Going to be interesting to see what they're going to come up with next given there's no limit on eShop file sizes. 8)

Offline styles

« Reply #1206 on: December 07, 2012, 06:26:33 AM »
Cheapest place for blops 2?

Will probably just go to tescos as I've money off if u spend over £40 vouchers but if its under £35 elsewhere let me know.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Online jman

« Reply #1207 on: December 07, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
Twin stick shooter? Oh how Nintendo are revolutionising the market...

lol, thats what I thought after I read that...

...how can you not of played a twin stick shooter before harv... seriously??  no geometry wars ???

... oh wait.. I forgot..

Meh, hardly poor taste. I have pretty similar tastes to most of you lot - Half-Life, Fallout, Left 4 Dead, Elder Scrolls, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, God of War, Resistance, Gears of War, Dead Space, Alan Wake - just that my taste isn't as limited as yours. I'm open to new experiences as well as the more traditional ones I've just listed.

;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1208 on: December 07, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
I played the definitive version of Geometry Wars with the remote and nunchuck, not twin sticks ;)

Online jman

« Reply #1209 on: December 07, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Thats the definitive version that got a much lower review score on metacritic right ??  ::) ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #1210 on: December 07, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »
Wait 'til he tries an FPS with dual analogues - it'll blow him away and he'll come on here raving about it.

Speaking of... went 2nd prestige on Blops2 last night :D

Offline styles

« Reply #1211 on: December 07, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
And i can buy black ops cheapest where?
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #1212 on: December 07, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
Thats the definitive version that got a much lower review score on metacritic right ??  ::) ;D

It's the definitive version because if you want to use dual analog sticks you can use a Gamecube or Pro controller and the entire game that's available on Live is just one level of the Wii SKU, so you get a shitload more content. More control options, more content. Sounds definitive to me.

And late, I would never rave over dual analogs, they're miles inferior compared to pointer controls.

Offline Late

« Reply #1213 on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
And i can buy black ops cheapest where?

Oops, missed that.

Lots of good deals at launch, but not sure there's any still on.

Cheapest I've seen is Asda online, where it's £19 if you spend £35 on other stuff at the same time. Risky though. Worked for some folk, some others got charged full price.

Some folk used Grainger's pricematch to get it for £18.

Offline Late

« Reply #1214 on: December 07, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
gorgeous looking but the shooting mechanics are going to take a little getting used to, you control the movement of the ship with the left analog stick and the direction of your shots with the right.
Very impressed with the layout and functionality, Nintendo have taken a real step forwards with this...

I would never rave over dual analogs, they're miles inferior compared to pointer controls.

???