https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662625 times)

Offline bealec

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1365 on: January 20, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
Lol, that's bad bealec

Hey I just recycled it. It has been uttered before.

Offline Late

« Reply #1366 on: January 20, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
Leave Harv alone! Remember he's sad and can't eat sugar.
pmsl
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #1367 on: January 21, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »
Wow looks like I was right about the Wii U (lol).... sales fizzling out in january

Last weeks numbers show that the joint figures of the Wii + Wii U - werent even enough to beat the 360 globally.. nor the PS3  :o  Either the PS3 or 360 outsell it in every region too.

Looks like an "official" price cut will be coming soon... especially with a bunch of anticipated games being delayed even further aswell

Offline harv

« Reply #1368 on: January 21, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »
This is normal. Tends to happen to all new consoles after Christmas, nobody has got the cash to spend on expensive luxury goods after Christmas and won't have until April or more likely May. And of course the 360 and PS3 are selling more, that also happens every gen. You'll see them outselling the PS4 and 720 after their first Christmas too.

And I can't see Nintendo making a panic price cut just yet.

In fact it's the same for just about every business. Just have a look at the amount of people in pubs and restaurants, they're all pretty empty and will be until April or May.

Just bought Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and it's pretty good. Loads of stuff to unlock and a couple of extra modes for the Wii U version. Silky smooth 60fps too, although I think it's only 720p native. Not selling bad either, it's probably done around £200K by now if you include the digital sales. Well that's all my Christmas money spent! 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline styles

« Reply #1369 on: January 21, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »
^

Lol. Give it up son.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline jman

« Reply #1370 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
So two months from release and you've resorted to buying a Sonic racing game made for pre-teens to get some play out of your Wii U - LOL! 

How much more expensive is a PS3 over a Wii U btw... your argument might hold some water if the PS3 hadn't practically tripled the Wii U sales.

The console needs 1st party games now more than ever and nintendo have done exactly what they did with the 3DS - fuck it all up.. its gonna crash and burn Im afraid lolol.

Offline jman

« Reply #1371 on: January 21, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
Oh and you remember this conversation last year harv... (whilst on the subject of how crap the wii u is)..

I look forward to comparing the Wii U's review scores for their ports against current platforms though... there is no reason for them not to be significantly higher if they are the "definitive" versions right ??

Yup, I've already stated that the U scores should be better than the other SKUs. The only game that might suffer as far as review scores goes is FIFA 13 because it's missing Ultimate Team.

I've used metacritic here, I think its safe to say its the fairest site to use, although I really dont think it would matter that much... and I think I have all the Wii U ports here...

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Wii U - 83, X360 - 83

Trine 2
Wii U - 84, X360 - 85

Assassin's Creed 3
Wii U - 85, PS3 - 86

Arkham City
Wii U - 84, PS3 - 96

Just Dance 4
Wii U - 66, X360 - 77

Darksiders 2
Wii U - 85, PS3 - 84

Fifa 13
Wii U - 70, X360 -90

COD BLOPS 2
Wii U - 81, X360 - 83

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Wii U - 64, X360 - 71

Madden 13
Wii U - 76, PS3 - 83

Skylanders Giants
Wii U - 80, X360 - 80

Mass Effect 3
Wii U - 87, X360 - 93

Sonic All Stars
Wii U - 78, X360 - 82

Ninja Gaiden 3
Wii U - 70, X360 - 58

So I make that
Wii U - 2 definitive versions
X360/PS3 - 10 definitive versions

Thats quite a difference ey ?? So hows that happened, would really be interested to hear your excuses this time?

Offline harv

« Reply #1372 on: January 21, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »
So two months from release and you've resorted to buying a Sonic racing game made for pre-teens to get some play out of your Wii U - LOL! 

How much more expensive is a PS3 over a Wii U btw... your argument might hold some water if the PS3 hadn't practically tripled the Wii U sales.

The console needs 1st party games now more than ever and nintendo have done exactly what they did with the 3DS - fuck it all up.. its gonna crash and burn Im afraid lolol.

I bought Sonic Racing because I liked the demo and the game has had unanimously positive feedback on various forums. And aimed at pre-teens..? It's a game suitable for everyone regardless of their age just like any kart racer. No idea where you got pre-teens from lol.

As for PS3s and 360s I've seen them going for less than 200 quid, play.com have a 16GB PS3 going for just over £160...nearly half the price of a Wii U at some places. Previous gen machines always sell better than new current gen machines after Christmas because the things are a great deal cheaper.

The Wii U has sold 80% of the Wii's launch sales, outsold the PS3 and 360's launch sales. It's sold over 2m in half the time that the 360 managed and a third of the time that the PS3 managed. It's selling fine.

As for the Metacritic scores a few of them don't make a great deal of sense, but that's how reviewers have been for the last 10 years in this industry. There's no reason for the Arkham City difference for starters, you can't even blame the lateness of the release because it was only released a couple of months after the GOTY Edition. The Trine 2 score also makes no sense because it's not only graphically superior but it also has Goblin Menace which the PS3 and 360 are incapable of running without downgrading it.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #1373 on: January 21, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
The Wii U may of outsold the PS3 and X360 launches.. but then the PS3 cost a lot more and the X360 had crippling supply issues - so its not saying a lot really.  The PS3 didnt even launch at christmas so the comparisons of launches is pretty pointless.

And if you want to go by Plays direct price - its actually £170 for a basic 12GB PS3 - compared to £225 for the basic Wii U - £50 is hardly half price.. and doesn't back up any of your claims of why people are staying away from the Wii U.

Unfortunately Nintendo have ballsed up on their 1st party timing again and you wont get to see another 1st party game until half way through the year now.. which means they will have to make a price cut sometime soon because the current crop of games just aren't going to shift hardware units.

And on the review score front - has the thought that the Wii U versions being worse actually crossed your mind?  It has mine!

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #1374 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:07 AM »
Their biggest problem is, alot of those games you listed rely on a strong online counterpart, which the U just simply doesnt provide...It'll stand up with good single player games, but when you have a game thats also judged on its online portion too, the 360/PS3 will naturally destroy it.

Offline jman

« Reply #1375 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
lol... the heavily rumoured 720 specs that were leaked today.. suggest that it will piss all over the Wii U...

looks like you were wrong and we were right harv!  ;D

Offline bealec

« Reply #1376 on: January 22, 2013, 07:50:52 PM »
lol... the heavily rumoured 720 specs that were leaked today.. suggest that it will piss all over the Wii U...

Well colour me surprised.....

Offline harv

« Reply #1377 on: January 23, 2013, 03:48:37 AM »

It's hardly pissing all over the Wii U, and I haven't been far off. We're talking 3 or 4 times more powerful than the Wii U rather than the 2 or 3 times I was expecting and I was right about the architecture. That's still in the same sort of ballpark in terms of power and means that it's going to be easy for developers to port between all 3 systems this gen. And you'll see a few people surprised by developers and publishers having the Wii U as the lead platform this gen too.

2 or 3 times more powerful would see a retail price 400 pounds/dollars, the amount of RAM and the GPU performance we're looking at retailing above that. I thought that they'd go for 6GB of RAM to cut costs though tbh.

Resident Evil Revelations has been announced for home consoles, it's more Resident Evil than the last 2 Resident Evils and definitely worth picking up. Easily on a par with 4 but still way too much ammo floating around, although they may tweak that for the home console SKUs. You'll also get to experience RAID mode for the first time, it's awesome and I'm really surprised they didn't make it part of the Bonus Content for 6 tbh.

Offline jman

« Reply #1378 on: January 23, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »
Oh it does.. the Wii U is drowning in a sea of piss right now... and when the PS4 joins the party it'll be more a case of Wii Who than Wii U  ;D ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #1379 on: January 23, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
It's hardly pissing all over the Wii U...

Ummm...
It really is, Harv.

As I've mentioned before, if it were 20% more powerful than the U then it'd be a big step up. If it were 30% more powerful it'd be quite a big step up. This isn't just 40% or 50% more powerful - it's about 400% more powerful. It's Bugatti Veyron vs ... (damn, was gonna put Skoda here because I'm old and still remember them being a laughing stock, but they're way better than a Nintendo these days. Erm...) ... It's Bugatti Veyron vs Model T Ford.
Similar architecture inside them - both have internal combustion engine, a wheel at each corner, etc. You'll find the modern car outperforms it's distant cousin though.

The U is dead in the water.

Getting back to the proper consoles, then...
Sony's CEO was asked about then next console a couple of days ago, and replied "why go first when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?”
I'd guess that refers to revealing details of the console rather than bringing it out. I doubt Sony want to give Microsoft a big head start in terms of release date - but it's an odd thing to say. If Microsoft wait until E3 Sony can't really wait to see what they do then consider their options.
I say "if", as there's rumours MS might reveal details before E3 - though that seems unlikely, tbh, as they'd actually be doing what Sony have effectively just asked for. It's probably too late in the day to change much on the machine, but if both companies are aiming to release around November then it'd be silly for one of them to reveal details a few moths before the other - it'd be giving their rival a great chance to tweak one or two things and to tailor their reveal in a way that'll stress the elements of their machine that put it above the other whilst highlighting any shortcomings their rival has...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...