https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662933 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1380 on: January 23, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »
Yup, you're quite right, there isn't a great deal they can tweak 5 months before launch . By then the hardware is generally set in stone, they'll only be two or three months before they start production so by that stage both platform holders will be tweaking cooling, clockspeeds and voltages.

Developers will probably get final devkits in May.

And no, 300-400% difference in power isn't a great deal in the grand scheme of things. It's going to be very easy for developers to port between the 3 platforms despite the difference in power. It would have been possible to port between the Wii, PS3 and 360 if Nintendo had chosen a GPU with a standard rendering pipeline. You'd have a lower resolution, shitloads of jaggies, more pop-in and longer loading times but it would have been possible.

We'll probably see the Wii U being the lead platform this gen if there's a multiplatform game with a U SKU, I'm waiting to hear fanboys whining about the U holding back the other platforms like plenty of people were doing with the PS2 during the 6th gen lol ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:55:44 AM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #1381 on: January 23, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
Its either an early excuse as to why Sony are releasing later than microsoft again.. (as nothing will be done hardware side within a few months).  Plus November/December really is the best time to release a console.. even the Wii U managed to sell!!!

Or he was actually talking about the Wii U and the fact that the PS4 will again rip a lot of ideas away from nintendo (touchscreen controller) ???  Microsoft would be mad to ditch their current controller.. but we all know the dualshock has run its course

Offline Late

« Reply #1382 on: January 23, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
We'll probably see the Wii U being the lead platform this gen if there's a multiplatform game with a U SKU...
Yeah, of course we will.  ::)

Arkham Armoured has been slashed again, btw (can't remember if you have that one yet). Now £18.99 at 365games.
Cracking game - if you don't have it I'd recommend it - though you might be better off getting the xbox version.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1383 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »
We'll probably see the Wii U being the lead platform this gen if there's a multiplatform game with a U SKU...
Yeah, of course we will.  ::)

Arkham Armoured has been slashed again, btw (can't remember if you have that one yet). Now £18.99 at 365games.
Cracking game - if you don't have it I'd recommend it - though you might be better off getting the xbox version.

The Wii U being the lead platform makes perfect sense. It's going to be the market leader and the least powerful this gen, just as the PS2 was during the 6th gen. It makes sense for the least powerful console to be the lead platform because developers can be sure that the game will run fine on it. Certainly makes more sense than having the PS4 or 720 supplying down-ports to the Wii U.

Cheers for that Arkham City link, was going to buy it for 25 quid from shopto so that's saved me a few quid. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #1384 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »
LOL.. its not even worth writing a response to that, you quite clearly have a screw loose  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1385 on: January 23, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
LOL.. its not even worth writing a response to that, you quite clearly have a screw loose  ;D

Other people on other forums have had a similar reaction but haven't gone into why they disagree. My reasoning is sound. It makes sense for developers to have the market leading and least powerful console as the lead platform.

Offline Late

« Reply #1386 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »
Yeah, I loved the games ported from the Wii to the 360. They rocked.

Cue the "blah, blah, architecture, blah, blah" bollocks...
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #1387 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »
Interesting that the Nextbox could have a HDMI-in slot. Hope Microsoft don't become too pre-occupied with media and forget about what most of us care about - games!

Finished Lost Odyssey for the 2nd time... Final battle was much simpler this time around (not that it was particularly difficult before) because I power-levelled in the Temple of Enlightenment. Now need something else to play... tempted to pick up Sleeping Dogs as it's going for under £20 and looks decent.

Offline Late

« Reply #1388 on: January 23, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
Oooh, you don't have a "stack"?

I've got about 20 unplayed games, I think.  :-\ 
There's a few duffers in there, that I just picked up because they were dirt cheap, but there's several in there that I'm really keen to play - I just can't put COD down for long enough.
(New map pack is out for that next week. I ordered some msPoints today, so that I can buy a season pass.)
I'm also keen to add more games to the stack. I've got price alerts set up on the following:
Assassin's Creed 3
Dishonored
Far Cry 3
Halo 4
Hitman: HD Trilogy
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Lego Lord of the Rings
Max Payne 3
Sleeping Dogs
XCOM Enemy Unknown

To be honest, a few have reached my "target price", but I've then revised the target downwards a bit and will pick them up some time later. Too many games, not enough time...

Several new trailers and announcements from Nintendo today. Lego City Undercover still looks very good (shame it's for the U only). The Wonderful 101 looks good, too. And there's 2 Zelda titles on their way (one new title and one HD remake).

Offline harv

« Reply #1389 on: January 23, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »
Yeah, I loved the games ported from the Wii to the 360. They rocked.

Cue the "blah, blah, architecture, blah, blah" bollocks...

Not the architecture, the GPU...the TEV Unit specifically. ;)

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #1390 on: January 23, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
Oooh, you don't have a "stack"?

I've got about 20 unplayed games, I think.  :-\ 
There's a few duffers in there, that I just picked up because they were dirt cheap, but there's several in there that I'm really keen to play - I just can't put COD down for long enough.
(New map pack is out for that next week. I ordered some msPoints today, so that I can buy a season pass.)
I'm also keen to add more games to the stack. I've got price alerts set up on the following:
Assassin's Creed 3
Dishonored
Far Cry 3
Halo 4
Hitman: HD Trilogy
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Lego Lord of the Rings
Max Payne 3
Sleeping Dogs
XCOM Enemy Unknown

To be honest, a few have reached my "target price", but I've then revised the target downwards a bit and will pick them up some time later. Too many games, not enough time...

Several new trailers and announcements from Nintendo today. Lego City Undercover still looks very good (shame it's for the U only). The Wonderful 101 looks good, too. And there's 2 Zelda titles on their way (one new title and one HD remake).

You really need to prioritise XCOM! Potentially my game of 2012. I thought AC3 was so-so... and I'm hesitant to get Far Cry 3 after loathing the second game.

Have ordered Sleeping Dogs from Shopto for £16.85. Cheapest I could find it, but I'm on backorder as they were out of stock. They usually restock fairly quickly though so the wait shouldn't be too long.

Offline harv

« Reply #1391 on: January 23, 2013, 08:19:01 PM »
There was a Nintendo Direct earlier today and they announced they're remaking Wind Waker to keep everyone happy whilst we wait for the next new one. Also announced the Wii U's Virtual Console and because it's the NES' 30th anniversary coming up they're going to have several NES and SNES games on offer for 30 days for 30p each :o

And Iwata also did his just one more thing, looks very much like a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles. Looks a bit rough at the moment because it's an early build but the draw distance, as with the original game on the Wii, is very impressive. Mechs, giant dinosaurs, awesome combat mechanics and a world to explore that makes the worlds in Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim look small = Instant Win with a topping of Awesome Sauce.

Square Enix really should hang their heads in shame tbh, they used to be the kings of JRPGs but it's looking like there's a new contender on the scene...

I've even seen a few people saying they're going to buy a Wii U just to play this game, codenamed 'X'.

Offline bealec

« Reply #1392 on: January 23, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »
We call those people idiots.

Offline harv

« Reply #1393 on: January 23, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
Haven't you ever bought a console because of exclusives..? I got my 360 specifically to play Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising and my Wii U to play ZombiU, Rayman Legends and Lego City Undercover.

This next game from Monolith Soft is going to be excellent. 8)

Offline jman

« Reply #1394 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
You got your 360 free from cokezone lol.. dont pretend you went out and bought one to play games on it!

And judging by your previous posts, you have this huge beast of a pc... any gamer that knows anything knows that Left 4 Dead is far far superior on the pc than it is on the 360 - anything done by Valve always is - so trying to tell us you bought a 360 for that game is just bollocks Im afraid.

I bought a 360 because it was the first next-gen console and I enjoyed the exclusives the xbox had.
I will probably be buying a 720 for the same reasons.