https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662946 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1425 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:56 AM »
Mass Effect 3 and Fifa 13 sales on the Wii U combined haven't even reached 100k - and you think EA are hemorrhaging money because they are not releasing games on the Wii U - fantastic!!  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1426 on: January 31, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »
Mass Effect 3 and Fifa 13 sales on the Wii U combined haven't even reached 100k - and you think EA are hemorrhaging money because they are not releasing games on the Wii U - fantastic!!  ;D

They're haemorrhaging money year after year after year due to poor decision making, like every other publisher that loses money. Mass Effect 3 is a year old port, FIFA 13 has major features missing. Their support has been half-arsed at best.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with Tiger Woods in March. If the game doesn't feature Nintendo's patented use of the GamePad then that could explain the rift between the two companies. Some people think it's due to Origin but I think it's down to Nintendo not giving permission to use that patent.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline bealec

« Reply #1427 on: January 31, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
So basically it's everyone else's fault but Nintendos? Do you read what you post?

Offline Late

« Reply #1428 on: January 31, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
It's pretty simple, guys. Keep up!
A brief synopsis for those who missed the last page or so or need a recap:
  • EA are idiots for porting a massively popular one year old game like Mass Effect 3 to the U.
  • Warner Interactive are winners for porting a massively popular one year old game like Arkham City to the U.
  • Eidos are fools for not porting a massively popular upcoming game like Tomb Raider to the U.
  • Nintendo are geniuses for bringing out a new console that struggles to compete with 7 year old tech.
  • The unemployed know more about running multinational companies than the chief executives who occupy that role.
  • Nintendo are only selling a fraction of the number of consoles they thought they would but it's all good because their previous estimates were silly (but their share price won't tumble on that news because it's okay for Nintendo to lie to shareholders.)
  • It's perfectly healthy to have 1.5 million consoles sat in warehouses (if we assume they're worth about ten quid each, that's fifteen million quid going to waste!)
  • Despite shit sales Nintendo shouldn't cut prices and try to get the console into as many houses as possible. They should wait until around November, cos lots of people will buy the U once the ps4 and nextbox are out.
  • Wii U games are actually selling really well - you just can't tell because everyone is paying over the odds for invisible copies rather than buying physical copies of games, and Nintendo don't want to tell us how many people bought the emperor's new clothes digital games.
  • The U isn't a complete and utter failure - it's doing really well and it isn't at all embarrassing to admit owning one.

Disclaimer - there's a possibility that ten of the above "facts" are untrue.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #1429 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »
 ;D thats summed it up quite nicely...

Harv.. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 - didnt think that had been announced for the Wii U ?? pretty sure its not getting it (at launch anyway) since only the 360/PS3 cover art has already been released.  Just another  3rd party game not on the Wii U - doubting it yet ??

Offline harv

« Reply #1430 on: January 31, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »
Arkham City isn't a year old port, it's a two (or three..?) month port. It's basically the GOTY Edition with extra features which was only released in August or September last year.

Warner Brothers are showing better support because they're bringing 4 titles to the Wii U during the launch window, including Scribblenauts Unlimited which showcases the GamePad, and none of those titles are gimped like FIFA and Madden.

Yes, Eidos - and Ian Livingstone in particular- are fools. Fallout 3, Bioshock, the Lego franchise and Escape From Bug Island are all huge cock ups so them not bringing Tomb Raider to the U isn't a surprise tbh. And that report is an old report, they said all that last year.

Nintendo have brought out a console that's more powerful than 7 year old tech, and a console that's going to be in the same sort of ballpark in terms of power compared to the PS4 and 720. You're going to see plenty of fapping after E3 when both platform holders announce theoretical performance figures followed by massive Nerd-Rage when people realise that the difference in power between the Wii U and PS4/720 is nowhere near the difference in power between the Wii and PS3/360.

Look at EA's track record. They don't have a clue. They throw redundancies around like confetti, always have done and always will do. They're a poorly run publisher. Most executives at software publishers are out of touch with the game industry

As far as the Wii U sales and price is concerned we'll have to wait and see. Sales should start to pick up around April/May once people's finances have recovered from Christmas, and we'll be hearing a megaton or two at E3 both from Nintendo and third parties which should boost sales. Iwata has said they're not going to reduce the price but they may look at things again once the Q4 and Q1 results are in. Could be in for a price cut at the end of Q1 or beginning of Q2, but Q3 would be favourite for me in attempt to scupper the launches of the PS4 and 720.

And as I've already mentioned DD is accounting for a fair amount of sales, Nintendo haven't released the DD sales yet because it's too early. We'll probably find out at the end of Q4 both from Nintendo and third parties.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #1431 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »
Arkham City isn't a year old port, it's a two (or three..?) month port. It's basically the GOTY Edition with extra features which was only released in August or September last year.
Bollocks - it's a year old port.
Arkham City came out well over a year ago (in Oct 2011). All of the DLC was out over a year ago (final DLC was Dec 2011). The GOTY edition had nothing new, but combined those elements onto one physical disk, and was released in the States in May 2012. The UK/European release was delayed, but everyone who wanted the full game had it before 2012 started.
Arkham City is over a year old.

Warner Brothers are showing better support because they're bringing 4 titles to the Wii U during the launch window, including Scribblenauts Unlimited which showcases the GamePad, and none of those titles are gimped like FIFA and Madden.
Noone cares what games they're bringing out on the U, because noone has one. They could bring out a load of games for the Jaguar and the Dreamcast - would make as much sense.

Yes, Eidos - and Ian Livingstone in particular- are fools. Fallout 3, Bioshock, the Lego franchise and Escape From Bug Island are all huge cock ups so them not bringing Tomb Raider to the U isn't a surprise tbh. And that report is an old report, they said all that last year.
Not bringing out Tomb Raider on the U sounds like they've turned the corner, and started making sound business decisions, then.

Nintendo have brought out a console that's more powerful than 7 year old tech, and a console that's going to be in the same sort of ballpark in terms of power compared to the PS4 and 720.
Better in some regards, worse in others - overall most games look the same or worse than ps3/360.

You're going to see plenty of fapping after E3 when both platform holders announce theoretical performance figures...
Most of us don't masturbate when we hear console performance stats.

...followed by massive Nerd-Rage when people realise that the difference in power between the Wii U and PS4/720 is nowhere near the difference in power between the Wii and PS3/360.
Nobody can be 100% certain of anything - but everyone knows the ps4/720 will blow the U out of the water.

Look at EA's track record. They don't have a clue. They throw redundancies around like confetti, always have done and always will do. They're a poorly run publisher. Most executives at software publishers are out of touch with the game industry.
They're one of the most successful gaming publishers in history, and have produced a massive proportion of the best games we've ever seen. Damn them and their incompetence! They should definitely put you in charge.

As far as the Wii U sales and price is concerned we'll have to wait and see.
Your precognitive psychic powers failing you? They're usually so uncannily accurate.

Sales should start to pick up around April/May once people's finances have recovered from Christmas, and we'll be hearing a megaton or two at E3 both from Nintendo and third parties which should boost sales.
E3 won't boost the U. It'll kill it.

Iwata has said they're not going to reduce the price...
Yeah, Nintendo wouldn't lie or go back on something they've said, would they. Like sales figures, or retail pricing of their last (handheld) machine.

...but they may look at things again once the Q4 and Q1 results are in.
Wow - they're already hinting to people that their last statement might've been inaccurate. Way to cover yourself Iwata san.

Could be in for a price cut at the end of Q1 or beginning of Q2, but Q3 would be favourite for me in attempt to scupper the launches of the PS4 and 720.
Yeah, they're going to steal a lot of custom from Sony and Microsoft next Christmas. All those people who've looked at the U underperform for a year and have said "no thanks, it looks shit - I'll wait a few months for a next gen console instead" are going to change their minds because Nintendo cut fifty quid off the price. "I waited a year and paid £250 for a U, instead of buying one for £300 last year or paying £350 for a nextbox this year" they'll be exclaiming. As they're carted off to the nut house.
Sony and Microsoft will be shitting bricks at the prospect.
Little do they realise they could box those shitbricks and sell them. Nintendo have been doing so for the last decade.

And as I've already mentioned DD is accounting for a fair amount of sales, Nintendo haven't released the DD sales yet because it's too early. We'll probably find out at the end of Q4 both from Nintendo and third parties.
If digital sales account for between a quarter and a third of sales, as you've indicated, I'll apologise for my ignorance.
I figured people were too bright to buy overpriced non-physical copies of new games, but I forgot we're talking about Nintendo fans here.
Surely even they can't be that stupid. Can they?
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1432 on: January 31, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »
EA are not one of the most successful publishers in gaming history unless you ignore the fact that they usually lose money every year. They're a terribly run company and have been for years. And EA and Eidos aren't the only badly run publishers either, most of them lose money every year, Wii software sales are the only thing that's kept Sega afloat these last couple of years.

Part of the reason why Mass Effect 3 hasn't sold that well is that EA managed to kill it before it launched with the Mass Effect Trilogy announcement. Does that strike you as good business sense..? :o

Ubisoft and Capcom are miles more successful than any of those I've named above.

Mind you, none of them are as badly run as THQ was lol. :-\ QA staff should have a say in what decisions are made, unlike the majority of executives they're in touch with what's going to work and what isn't. There'd be a lot less losses for publishers if we had some sort of input. I think I'm probably pissed off the most by the Eidos board losing the Lego franchise, millions of quid down the swanny because they refused to give TT a better financial package. Ridiculous.

Offline jman

« Reply #1433 on: January 31, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
EA made $76m last year
Ubisoft made $47.6m last year

EA did $4.14b in revenue last year
Ubisoft did $1.1b in revenue last year

Ubisoft are miles more successful

Explain  ::)

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #1434 on: January 31, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »
The systematic dismantling of Harv's inane ramblings keep me coming back to this thread.

Offline jman

« Reply #1435 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
GTA 5 has been given a release date

17th September 2013 - little disappointed it wont be sooner.  :(

Offline Late

« Reply #1436 on: January 31, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
GTA 5 has been given a release date

17th September 2013 - little disappointed it wont be sooner.  :(

Disappointing, but fair enough. For a big title like this, where we only (relatively) recently found out it was being made I'm happy to wait until September. It's not like it's been delayed for years like Duke Nukem, Gran Turismo, and Bioshock Infinite.

Gives me a chance to work through my backlog of games. (Won't happen, of course - the backlog will almost certainly be bigger by then... ;) )

Offline harv

« Reply #1437 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
EA made $76m last year
Ubisoft made $47.6m last year

EA did $4.14b in revenue last year
Ubisoft did $1.1b in revenue last year

Ubisoft are miles more successful

Explain  ::)

EA lost 40-odd million last year (2011 financial year). The year before that they lost hundreds of millions of dollars. They lose money more often than they make a profit. They'll probably show a profit this year but it's a rare occurrence. ;)

Offline jman

« Reply #1438 on: January 31, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
Forgot to mention the GTA 5 release date for the Wii U

Ahem...

Never  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1439 on: January 31, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
Forgot to mention the GTA 5 release date for the Wii U

Ahem...

Never  ;D

GTA V is being released outside the launch window, we know nothing of third party titles released outside the launch window...we'll hear about third party titles during the next Nintendo Direct and during E3. ;)

Got 20% off with Zavvi earlier so have pre-ordered Lego City Undercover for £24.I'd much prefer Lego GTA anyway lol :P