https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662592 times)

Offline styles

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1440 on: February 01, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »
Arkham City isn't a year old port, it's a two (or three..?) month port. It's basically the GOTY Edition with extra features which was only released in August or September last year.
Bollocks - it's a year old port.
Arkham City came out well over a year ago (in Oct 2011). All of the DLC was out over a year ago (final DLC was Dec 2011). The GOTY edition had nothing new, but combined those elements onto one physical disk, and was released in the States in May 2012. The UK/European release was delayed, but everyone who wanted the full game had it before 2012 started.
Arkham City is over a year old.

Warner Brothers are showing better support because they're bringing 4 titles to the Wii U during the launch window, including Scribblenauts Unlimited which showcases the GamePad, and none of those titles are gimped like FIFA and Madden.
Noone cares what games they're bringing out on the U, because noone has one. They could bring out a load of games for the Jaguar and the Dreamcast - would make as much sense.

Yes, Eidos - and Ian Livingstone in particular- are fools. Fallout 3, Bioshock, the Lego franchise and Escape From Bug Island are all huge cock ups so them not bringing Tomb Raider to the U isn't a surprise tbh. And that report is an old report, they said all that last year.
Not bringing out Tomb Raider on the U sounds like they've turned the corner, and started making sound business decisions, then.

Nintendo have brought out a console that's more powerful than 7 year old tech, and a console that's going to be in the same sort of ballpark in terms of power compared to the PS4 and 720.
Better in some regards, worse in others - overall most games look the same or worse than ps3/360.

You're going to see plenty of fapping after E3 when both platform holders announce theoretical performance figures...
Most of us don't masturbate when we hear console performance stats.

...followed by massive Nerd-Rage when people realise that the difference in power between the Wii U and PS4/720 is nowhere near the difference in power between the Wii and PS3/360.
Nobody can be 100% certain of anything - but everyone knows the ps4/720 will blow the U out of the water.

Look at EA's track record. They don't have a clue. They throw redundancies around like confetti, always have done and always will do. They're a poorly run publisher. Most executives at software publishers are out of touch with the game industry.
They're one of the most successful gaming publishers in history, and have produced a massive proportion of the best games we've ever seen. Damn them and their incompetence! They should definitely put you in charge.

As far as the Wii U sales and price is concerned we'll have to wait and see.
Your precognitive psychic powers failing you? They're usually so uncannily accurate.

Sales should start to pick up around April/May once people's finances have recovered from Christmas, and we'll be hearing a megaton or two at E3 both from Nintendo and third parties which should boost sales.
E3 won't boost the U. It'll kill it.

Iwata has said they're not going to reduce the price...
Yeah, Nintendo wouldn't lie or go back on something they've said, would they. Like sales figures, or retail pricing of their last (handheld) machine.

...but they may look at things again once the Q4 and Q1 results are in.
Wow - they're already hinting to people that their last statement might've been inaccurate. Way to cover yourself Iwata san.

Could be in for a price cut at the end of Q1 or beginning of Q2, but Q3 would be favourite for me in attempt to scupper the launches of the PS4 and 720.
Yeah, they're going to steal a lot of custom from Sony and Microsoft next Christmas. All those people who've looked at the U underperform for a year and have said "no thanks, it looks shit - I'll wait a few months for a next gen console instead" are going to change their minds because Nintendo cut fifty quid off the price. "I waited a year and paid £250 for a U, instead of buying one for £300 last year or paying £350 for a nextbox this year" they'll be exclaiming. As they're carted off to the nut house.
Sony and Microsoft will be shitting bricks at the prospect.
Little do they realise they could box those shitbricks and sell them. Nintendo have been doing so for the last decade.

And as I've already mentioned DD is accounting for a fair amount of sales, Nintendo haven't released the DD sales yet because it's too early. We'll probably find out at the end of Q4 both from Nintendo and third parties.
If digital sales account for between a quarter and a third of sales, as you've indicated, I'll apologise for my ignorance.
I figured people were too bright to buy overpriced non-physical copies of new games, but I forgot we're talking about Nintendo fans here.
Surely even they can't be that stupid. Can they?

I actually consider these posts by late as a form of art
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #1441 on: February 01, 2013, 02:12:34 AM »
Platinum'd DiRT : Showdown

Number 46 now, 50 is fast approaching!

Online jman

« Reply #1442 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:21 AM »
Apparently the PS4 is going to be announced on February 20th - or it sounds very likely anyway - with a 2013 release :o :o

Link

Online jman

« Reply #1443 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
Currently going to finish Forza 3 before playing RE5 or Dead Island.. I've just started season 5 of 6 - it is getting slightly boring.. because it takes so long to progress and the game is not that challenging.. but Im still enjoying parts of it.  There is no way Im going for the Solid Gold achievement though - easy as it is, its an insane amount of grinding for 80GS.. so when I reach 920 - I'll consider the game complete - am on 580 at the moment.

Offline Late

« Reply #1444 on: February 01, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
Thanks Kenny & Styles.

Came here to post about the Sony announcement, but I see Kieron beat me by nearly three hours. Way to keep your finger on the pulse, Late!

Very exciting news, though. :D
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Online jman

« Reply #1445 on: February 01, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
Yep... the news broke last night, I always take a quick flick through the news in the morning when I get to work.

The main thing for me about the PS4 is that its affordable.. whilst it would be a tough decision to turn my back on the xbox franchise (and Im certainly not making my mind before both consoles are announced)... if for some reason I feel the new xbox is not going to give me the console gaming and multimedia experience I want.. I actually want there to be an affordable alternative - so fingers crossed its not going to be crazy prices (such as £350+).  I would also be put off if they used dualshock controllers or go down the gimmicky screen in a controller route although they might not be the deal breaker like the launch price is.

Looking forward to the announcement though  ;D  .. Wii U sales will plummet - its going to be the dreamcast/ps2 situation all over again.

Offline Late

« Reply #1446 on: February 01, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
Skyrim's DLC (Dragonborn, Hearthfire, and Dawnguard) have finally been readied for the ps3, after months of ironing out problems.

Dates for the US have been announced (12th, 19th and 26th Feb respectively). They've not announced dates for Europe but I'd doubt there'll be a long wait now...
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1447 on: February 01, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
Sony are ditching the Dualshock apparently, expect a touchscreen to be duct-taped at the last minute lol. Hopefully they're going to opt for a resistive touchscreen rather than a capacitive one, otherwise you won't get any decent artwork on their Miiverse clone. There's really no reason for a multitouch screen for gaming because you have a multitude of buttons and analog sticks that make a capacitive screen unnecessary. You only need capacitive screens for crappy smartphone gaming tbh.

I'm still hoping for a haptic touchscreen myself but then you're looking at a ridiculous price for the things. Still, I can dream lol :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #1448 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Only someone with the blinkered mindset of the Ninty fan would believe that resistive is better than capacitive on a game controller.

Resistive plus points
It's more accurate if you're using a stylus (but who's going to be using a stylus on a gamepad?)
It's very cheap.
Capacitive plus points
It's more intuitive. (A quick light tap with the pad of your finger would work fine. It wouldn't with resistive)
It's more flexible. (Multitouch is pretty essential for web-viewing on a small handheld screen. Would also be handy in lots of games and other applications.
It feels much nicer. (Sliding your finger over a glass screen is so much better than sliding it over several squishy layers of resistive plastic.)
You don't need long girly fingernails, or a stylus. (Who wants to dig out a stylus to do things on the fly on a touchscreen in a game?)

Offline harv

« Reply #1449 on: February 01, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
Only someone with the blinkered mindset of the Ninty fan would believe that resistive is better than capacitive on a game controller.

Resistive plus points
It's more accurate if you're using a stylus (but who's going to be using a stylus on a gamepad?)
It's very cheap.
Capacitive plus points
It's more intuitive. (A quick light tap with the pad of your finger would work fine. It wouldn't with resistive)
It's more flexible. (Multitouch is pretty essential for web-viewing on a small handheld screen. Would also be handy in lots of games and other applications.
It feels much nicer. (Sliding your finger over a glass screen is so much better than sliding it over several squishy layers of resistive plastic.)
You don't need long girly fingernails, or a stylus. (Who wants to dig out a stylus to do things on the fly on a touchscreen in a game?)

Sounds like you haven't used a resistive touchscreen for a while. ::)

A quick light tap with  your finger works fine these days. Both are intuitive.
Web browsing is fine on the GamePad. Instead of using your fingers to pinch zooming in and out you have a + and - button. There's really not a great deal of difference tbh.
It feels nicer..? Really..? lol
You don't need girly long fingernails or a stylus to use the touchscreen. I've only used the stylus when drawing stuff on Miiverse, which Sony will probably clone.

Miiverse (and any clones this gen) will have hardly any attraction to people if you couldn't draw stuff. I can't imagine how poor the art will be if Sony produce a controller with a capacitive touchscreen which forces people to draw with stubby fingers when posting art on PS4verse. Stuff like this will be impossible:

The artwork on Miiverse is amazing and is fundamental to its success. If/when Sony and Microsoft 'borrow' the idea they'll need to have a resistive touchscreen otherwise it's going to be a shadow of Miiverse without the sort of artwork above.

The only advantage that a capacitive touchscreen has over the resistive touchscreen is being able to pinch to zoom in and out, as far as game control goes it's unneccessary to have multitouch because you have, as I've already mentioned, two bloody great big analog sticks and a shitload of buttons. If smartphones had analog sticks and buttons you wouldn't need a capacitive touchscreen for gaming on those devices either.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #1450 on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »
Well of course being able to do crappy little sketches on a controller's touchscreen is paramount. If you can't do that on Sony/Microsoft's new machines then I'm definitely getting a Wii!  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1451 on: February 02, 2013, 02:07:48 AM »
It is paramount if both platform holders ripoff Miiverse, I already stipulated that ;)

And I can see them both doing that. Artwork really is a huge part of Miiverse, it wouldn't be the same without it.

Offline harv

« Reply #1452 on: February 02, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »
A 720p trailer for The Wonderful 101, looking great so far 8)

Be prepared to wait a while for it to load though! :o

Offline bealec

« Reply #1453 on: February 02, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
So the Wii controller is a very expensive pad of paper.....wow.

Online jman

« Reply #1454 on: February 02, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
Bought Resonance of Fate - £8 in the end.. will see if it lives up to some of the hype I've read and is as good as Lost Odyssey.

Got so many JRPGS unfinished in my backlog now - really need to get on with some of them  ;D