https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662984 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1545 on: February 19, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »
Yeah, I think you'd have to do that through the dash, or actually I think you can change the save device through options... its an arse-ache whatever... its going back on the pile for now, truly narked off with that.... back to 100%'ing Lego Pirates.. which I think is pretty much the worst Lego game I've played... nearly 100%ed the first 2 films but bored stiff, think the level design is a bit pants compared to some of the other Lego games.. plus I never really liked the Pirates films that much - the 1st & 2nd films were ok, but didnt think much of the 3rd or 4th... I've got all the red bricks, all the true pirates, just mini-ships and compasses to get but they seem to be taking ages.  Small doses for this one.. will probably fire up Resident Evil 5 or Resonance of Fate/other JRPG to fill in between times.

Offline harv

« Reply #1546 on: February 19, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
Actually, there are rumours of a Wii U version on the way. ;)

We'll only find out what's on the way for the Wii U from third parties when Nintendo has their third party Nintendo Direct.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #1547 on: February 19, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
I see.. so I guess we have to wait for a Nintendo Direct for GTA 5 to get announced for the Wii U too then ??  ;D ;D 

Offline harv

« Reply #1548 on: February 19, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »
Well you never know lol ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #1549 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this cos there's no Science sub-forum, but someone has come up with a Super Supercapacitor. :o

Going to be very handy for smartphones, games controllers, handheld consoles and even electric powered cars (unless one of the oil companies pays billions for the patent and stops it becoming commercial).

Offline jman

« Reply #1550 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:39 PM »
Ok, gave Resonance of Fate a run-out for 2 hours.

Low hopes after I realise Sega have published this game - although high hopes when I see Tri-Ace developed it.
Opening credits - quite impressive despite not making any sense.
Starting sequence begins - good graphics, hoping they carry on as in-game graphics
Start in the first town in the prologue - graphics are still nice, world seems very detailed, even more so than lost odyssey, this game could be good.
Collected some missions - time to leave the town and explore the world map..

World map opens and WTF? 
Figured it out after a while, the basic premise is that you have to lay map tiles down to move around the world map, and you can only win map tiles by fighting... interesting concept.
Ok time to start the fighting tutorial... 45 minutes later and 16 battle tutorials covered (  ::) ) Head hurting - only really paid attention to about 3 or 4 - it hasn't sunk in at all.. never mind - I can always learn while Im fighting...
First fight - dead within 5 minutes - game over  :(

Time to go to bed.

Offline Late

« Reply #1551 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
Ooof. Gears 4 has already been cracked and distributed - despite the fact it doesn't come out for another month...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #1552 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
And microsoft are threatening to ban anyone with a copy.

Dunno what they are worried about to be honest.. if the opinion on this forum is anything to go by, piracy encourages growth in the related sector and has a dramatic increase on sales!  ::) ;D

Reminds me, I need to sort out my pre-orders though - the GAME steelbook edition for this game looks great - probably gonna go for that version.

Offline Late

« Reply #1553 on: February 20, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
Dunno what they are worried about to be honest.. if the opinion on this forum is anything to go by, piracy encourages growth in the related sector and has a dramatic increase on sales!  ::) ;D
Games piracy is different to TV/film piracy.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #1554 on: February 20, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »
I dont see how really - they are both in the media entertainment sector... the only real discernable difference I can see is that video gaming hardware and software tries to combat piracy by having anti-piracy measures in place.

If you could download games, not have to crack them and also not have to worry about getting caught - then what difference would there really be.

Case in point - the DS was incredibly easy to pirate if you had a memory card and loaded an emulator onto it - all you had to do was download a rom and load it onto your memory card.  I played some games I would never of played thanks to this.. did it compel me to buy any DS games from this experience though - no.

Likewise, if I wanted to, I could crack my 360 and I could never have to pay for a game or a film again - but thats if I wanted to.

Offline Late

« Reply #1555 on: February 20, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
And that's exactly why the two markets are different.
I download loads of NDS roms and AVI/MKV films/tv...
I've never bought a single DS game in my life, and never will. I see no point.
I buy several blurays every month, though, despite the fact I already have most of them on my hard drive.
If I didn't download stuff would I buy more, less, or the same blurays? Impossible to say for 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure I'd buy less. The vast majority of those in my collection are films that I've seen (sometimes several times) before buying - usually torrent downloads.

I agree that it's perhaps daft that there's such a difference between the game and film markets, in that respect - and perhaps I'm in a minority for doing things the way I do - but in my house piracy results in increased dvd/bluray purchases and (arguably*) decreased game purchases.

(*"Arguable" because if it weren't for the DS's ridiculously easy piracy I never would have bought the console in the first place, so Nintendo would've had no money from me for software sales either way - so game purchases haven't really been affected one way or the other.)

Offline harv

« Reply #1556 on: February 20, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »
Piracy on my Wii since November 2007 hasn't stopped me from buying games. I've used it to try before I buy and to keep my retail copies safe from harm. They're in a box behind one of my armchairs.

Offline jman

« Reply #1557 on: February 20, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
Piracy on my Wii since November 2007 hasn't stopped me from buying games. I've used it to try before I buy and to keep my retail copies safe from harm. They're in a box behind one of my armchairs.

You cant say piracy hasn't stopped you buying games.. because you didnt buy all the games you pirated you wally lol.  There is no such thing as a try before you buy scheme, you just made that up to make you feel less guilty about the fact you've an illegal downloader.  You cracked your Wii after owning it for a while because you wanted to play games for free.  And thats it, at the end of the day its all about money - if you were a billionaire, could you honestly say you'd even bother with the hassle and rigmarole of downloading films/games/software - I certainly wouldn't - I'd just chuck the crap away if I had that much money and wouldnt worry about the money lost.

But nobody wants to pay for a film thats crap and nobody wants to pay for a game thats crap and I would say thats in-line with the thinking of the majority of any illegal downloader... so the two acts of game/film piracy are the same - you do the same thing for the same reason.  The only difference is that game piracy isn't as rife as film piracy because of anti-piracy measures.

Offline harv

« Reply #1558 on: February 20, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
Of course I haven't bought all the games I've downloaded. I never suggested such a thing. And trying before buying is quite common for pirated games...as for not feeling guilty wtf are you talking about lol. If I download a game and I like it I'll buy it.

And if I didn't have my retail copies safe I would have had to repurchase some of them after Georgie Porgie decided to knock a shitload of games off my shelf a couple of years ago, some of the cases were smashed and some of the DVDs were scratched.

I'm actually disappointed that I can't do the same thing with my Wii U tbh, although if a drive chip does become available I probably won't fit one because of the risk of getting banned from Miiverse which is an awesome feature.

And the reason why I chipped my Wii in the first place..? Trauma Center Second Opinion. I wasn't prepared to wait 9 months for Atlus to release it over here in Europe. It was the first game I pirated and I bought it when it was available over here.

Next games for me are Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3G Ultimate, there's a demo of the latter on the eShop tomorrow I love that franchise, it's awesome. I might double dip and get the 3DS SKU too.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #1559 on: February 21, 2013, 01:17:14 AM »
So, the two things I was most eager for, the price-point and the design of the console, we're both totally omitted from the conference...Ah well, least we have a release date...Winter 2013.