https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663029 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1560 on: February 21, 2013, 01:24:34 AM »
Sony have gone insane lol. I thought when they mentioned 8GB of RAM that they'd go for DDR3. Unless densities have changed that's 32 x GDDR5 RAM chips squeezed onto the motherboard. The console is going to be huge, run hot and will have a fan as loud as a 747 landing.

It's also going to cost a small fortune. Looks like they haven't learnt any lessons from the launches of the PS3 and Vita.

Still, the eye candy was very impressive! 8) 8) :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #1561 on: February 23, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
Apart from the almost vertical learning curve to resonance of fates battle system, I'm getting into the game quite a lot now, 5 hours in and slowly making progress, the boss battles are insanely tough though, died about 7/8 times on the first one and about 10/11 times on the second one. Would recommend it if you have some patience and want to play a unique jrpg, the plot isn't too bad, quite funny in places.

Edit : 7 hours in now.. some of the gameplay is getting slightly repetitive I feel, but I did beat the third boss on the 1st attempt.  The game has so many nuances to the battle system.. Im still learning new things every time I play... things you have to know really because some battles are so demanding.

Its so different to a normal JRPG though.. I actually love the world map and battle system but wish the towns and places you get to visit had a lot more scope to them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:30:16 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #1562 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
The latest rumour doing the rounds is that Ancel is considering quitting Ubisoft to set up his own indie dev team. Going to be interesting to see what happens during these next few weeks. :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #1563 on: February 25, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
Effectively finished Assassin's Creed 3 yesterday. Main story done, most of the side quests done. Still a few minor side quests outstanding, and I've not tried multiplayer at all (I don't have a uplay pass for the game but I believe you can still play multiplayer for a few levels without a pass). Enjoyed the game, and think it deserved higher ratings than it seemed to get. Most folk seem to dislike Connor, the main protagonist in the game, and I can understand that, but personally I liked him.

The voice acting for the character wasn't the best, and the character himself was annoyingly naive at times. But the way he got around the frontier was fantastic fun.

20 minutes of end credits with no way of skipping or stopping them other than ejecting the game is nasty. I tend to sit through end credits on most games (the music is part of the celebration at completing the game, I read a fair amount of the credits, and sometimes there's a cut-scene or achievement) but left the room in this instance. I'll watch the credits if I choose to - not if you try to force me to.
There was a short epilogue after the credits, and a fairly frustrating mini-mission, but once the story was done the game's time in my machine was pretty much over.

Next to go into the 360 was Dungeon Siege 3. I've never played a Dungeon Siege game before, but I know the first two were highly regarded, the third was considered a bit "meh" - and most importantly I picked it up very cheap. Metacritic has them as:
DS1 (2002 - pc only) 86% (7.5 user)
DS2 (2005 - pc only) 80% (7.6 user)
DS3 (2011 - all platforms) 72% (6.2 user)
It's a very linear action-RPG. Linear as in there's rigid set paths to follow - but if you're doing the side quests there's a fair bit of backtracking too. You pick from 4 characters, all with their own set of powers/attributes, and apparently the game is best played coop 4-player online. If playing solo, like me, the other characters join you after a few missions, controlled by (rather questionable) AI. There's lots of treasure/equipment to find or buy, each with different attributes, and you can improve some of your character's attributes and abilities - though, as with the map, it all seems a bit rigid.
Combat tends to be a case of approaching a group of enemies until they see you and give chase, retreat whilst spamming attacks at them with the A and X button until you reach some invisible line whereupon they all return to their start position, repeat until all are dead - which will surely get boring after a while, but I'm not far through the game yet and haven't quite reached that point.

Story line seems reasonable, if a little clichéd - an evil aggressor has invaded your country and killed most of the armed forces - your small group is all that remains. The script, however, is horrendous. Not sure if it's just weak translation from Japanese, or if it was a bad script over there too, but if the antagonist's name is said in full one more time I may well scream. Every bloody sentence is "Jeyne Kassynder" this, "Jeyne Kassynder" that.
Jeyne Kassynder can kiss my arse.

Will stick with the game for now at least. It's not the greatest, but it's not awful. How long I'll be able to resist before either putting COD back in or dipping back into the stack I'm not sure, though...

COD: Black Ops II - LAST PLAYED 07/02/2013. Blimeh. Nearly three weeks without playing COD! Will go back to the game at some point, for the multiplayer and zombies. Never did play the campaign on that (other than the first couple of levels, when my internet went down for an hour or two), despite a lot of folk saying the campaign is one of the best the game's had, thanks to the slight branching in the story depending on how you act/perform at certain points.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #1564 on: February 26, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »
Sim City out in 10 days... nice preview.. anyone else getting it?  I've ordered mine through Asda as they were the cheapest.. I better get it on release date or I wont be using them again.

Offline Late

« Reply #1565 on: February 26, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
Sim City looks good, but I'll probably wait a couple of months until it drops in price a bit.
COD, Bioshock, and GTA are probably my only release week purchases this year.

That said - if there's a good price at launch I'll be on it. Assuming my pc is up to the job.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:59:06 PM by Late »
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #1566 on: February 26, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »
Minimum specs are detailed here - they aren't too high - although if your pc is fairly old (6 years+) it probably wont run it... cheapest Ive seen is Tesco for £30 using a code (hukd).

I've preordered SimCity (Asda), Gears of War : Judgement (Tesco) and Army of Two : The Devils Cartel (Shopto) this month alone  :o  Plus GTA5 is preordered too (Shopto).

Im not pre-ordering Bioshock - I will wait until Aprils payday before picking that bad boy up lol. 

Tomb Raider is getting ignored - even though it looks great - I will have to pick that up later in the year. 

And to think, the Wii U has a shortage of good games at the moment lol

Offline Late

« Reply #1567 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Minimum specs are detailed here - they aren't too high - although if your pc is fairly old (6 years+) it probably wont run it...

That's the main reason I avoid PC games. Those specs mean little or nothing to me.
My pc is pretty old (bought second hand in 2008), and I've no idea what parts it has (and if I knew what my processor and graphics card were called I'd have no idea how they compare to the minimum and recommended specs!)
Will use an online checker (example) at some point.

Offline bealec

« Reply #1568 on: February 26, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »
So the Wii at my house is getting another use. My 3 year old son is using it to play Wii sports. He loves bowling but it costs £20 for the three of us for one game so I decided he can play on there instead and save me some money.

We are also playing through Sonic Unleashed. It's an awful game but he likes it.

Offline jman

« Reply #1569 on: February 26, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
Minimum specs are detailed here - they aren't too high - although if your pc is fairly old (6 years+) it probably wont run it...

That's the main reason I avoid PC games. Those specs mean little or nothing to me.
My pc is pretty old (bought second hand in 2008), and I've no idea what parts it has (and if I knew what my processor and graphics card were called I'd have no idea how they compare to the minimum and recommended specs!)
Will use an online checker (example) at some point.

Yeah - your probably gonna have trouble running the game... if anything - it will be your graphics card that wont be good enough.  If your feeling inquisitive, type in "dxdiag" from Start Menu > Run box... and you'll see the main parts you will need to compare on the 1st two tabs, you can do a screenshot if you want and I'll let you know how they compare or you can just use the online checker - Im not sure how the detailed the results of that are though.

Offline Late

« Reply #1570 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
So the Wii at my house is getting another use. My 3 year old son is using it to play Wii sports. He loves bowling but it costs £20 for the three of us for one game so I decided he can play on there instead and save me some money.
We are also playing through Sonic Unleashed. It's an awful game but he likes it.

Make sure he gets used to automatically fastening the wiimote's strap to his wrist, or it might work out quite expensive! ;)

I think Wii Sports was my favourite and most played Wii game - followed by Super Monkey Ball (the original - not the follow up, "Banana Blitz" which wasn't as good). That which might be worth picking up for the young 'un if you see it cheap somewhere, though he might be too young to properly control some parts. It's a collection of mini-games, which is par for the course on the wii, really, except this had a few good ones in there that were equally fun and intuitive for adults and kids (personal favourites being one where you're shot out of a cannon and use the remote to glide down to a target, and one where you have to shoot a certain target while loads are bouncing around - but there's also driving and FPS mini-games in there, amongst around 60 games in total).

Yeah - your probably gonna have trouble running the game... if anything - it will be your graphics card that wont be good enough.  If your feeling inquisitive, type in "dxdiag" from Start Menu > Run box... and you'll see the main parts you will need to compare on the 1st two tabs, you can do a screenshot if you want and I'll let you know how they compare or you can just use the online checker - Im not sure how the detailed the results of that are though.
Thanks Kieron. Will try that if I'm near the computer tonight. TBH I rarely go near it these days - when I'm at home I do 99% of my surfing etc. via the tablet.

Have just checked some old correspondence from when I bought the computer (someone on HUKD was helping me, as I'm clueless about computer innards) and I see it has a e6850 processor and a 2600XT card. Dunno if those mean anything to you!

Offline bealec

« Reply #1571 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »
Cheers for the tip Late I'll look out for that one.

Yeah we do make sure he has the wrist strap on.

Offline jman

« Reply #1572 on: February 27, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
Late..the E6850 is an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor clocked at 3.00GHz - the min spec for an Intel processor is an Intel core 2 duo processor clocked at 2.00GHz so you pass the min spec on that.

And the 2600XT is an ATI Radeon HD card.. the min spec for SimCity for an ATI card is an ATI Radeon HD 2x00 - so you just pass the min spec on that - that card also has the min spec of memory needed on it too.

So your scraping the barrel a bit, but it should all work!

Offline Late

« Reply #1573 on: February 27, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »
Thanks Kieron.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is expected to be announced later today, with the main character being Edward Kenway (an assassin, privateer, and occasional pirate, he's the father of Haytham and grandfather of Connor, both of whom you'll know from AC3), and set around the Caribbean.

AC3's sea battles were good fun, so this has great potential. I did massively enjoy the trees and cliffs of the frontier region on AC3, though - so I hope we'll still have some parkour amongst natural features again in AC4, as the rooftops were getting a bit stale for me.

The game should be released in the 2013-14 fiscal year.
AC1 - Nov 2007
AC2 - Nov 2009
ACB - Nov 2010
ACR - Nov 2011
AC3 - Nov 2012
I'm going to take a guess at November 2013 for AC4, then!

Offline jman

« Reply #1574 on: February 27, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
Resonance of Fate sure does have its difficulty spikes... just when I thought I was getting used to the battle system... a boss just obliterates my team.  To be fair, the area I was going into called for fire weapons and ice protection - I had Molotov cocktails and Immolation bullets thinking this would be enough - not even close.. the boss just freezes each of my characters then just rampages on me :(  I had to give it up for a while.. its annoying because I've got to go all the way back to the nearest town now and then fight my way all the way to the boss... even with the ice protection, I'll still need to be on the top of my game.. this JRPG seriously isnt for wimps - I think I could do with a refesher course on the battle system AGAIN (12 hours in).  To be honest, if the game was a bit more balanced and didnt expect you to know everything straight away, I'd absolutely love it, as it is, Im finding myself grinding levels quite a bit already and somewhat tiring of battles (even though the battle system is great) because of the frequency Im fighting - shame really.

So I stuck Resident Evil 5 in, am enjoying it more than I thought, I hated the demo...the tank movement is seriously crap - I hate it - the fact you cant reload while moving and there is no reload button (you have to combine through the menu) is another pet hate.  I just realised quite late I need to sell the treasures Im picking up and also I can upgrade my guns which Ive done now.  The computer AI character is not too bad - although she does get through shit loads of bullets, so Im keeping her on the handgun mainly.  Up to Chapter 2-2 (level 4 of 16) - not bad for a few hours.