https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662569 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1665 on: March 21, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I've seen 2 reviews so far, 3/10 and 4/10. :o

Such a shame because it could have been awesome >:(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #1666 on: March 21, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
Shame. I had high hopes but low expectations. It's always a worry when a publisher doesn't send out review copies before a game's launch.
Like Sim City.
And Colonial Marines.

And Bioshock Infinite...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1667 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »
Has Bioshock Infinite been released yet..? I was beginning to think it was Vapourware lol

The Steam-esque sales in the Wii U eShop are continuing and this time for retail games available through digital distribution. Can't believe that Nintendo of all platform holders have been the first one to get their eShop right. They've even convinced the German censorship board to allow purchases of 18 rated games 24/7 because the Parental Controls system is 100% robust! :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #1668 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »
Bioshock Infinite is out on the 26th. Nobody has been given a review copy except IGN - who were given exclusive review rights, presumably for a fee so their review will be totally biased. That review is due in a few hours' time.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1669 on: March 22, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
Well bollocks, it's still vapourware until it's on shop shelves lol :P

Online jman

« Reply #1670 on: March 22, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »
Loads of review sites had SimCity before launch.. they even had an open beta and tons of gameplay videos before launch.. its just all the server issues weren't sorted out before it went live... hence why some sites gave it a relatively low score and others gave it a normal score.. for me its a good 82/100... if you look past the server issues it had at the beginning its got quite a few bugs/quirks in it which kinda water down the whole simulation aspect.. plus it has a few features missing (subways, larger cities, etc)... its still very addictive though and I've even installed it at work now lol.  The always online features are quite good in relation to the game, although I would of preferred them to of tailored the game to single player mainly.

To be honest, I'd agree with the argument that it was initially engineered as a free-to-play game which evolved into a payable game - hence why some of the simulation just isnt realistic and why its been tailored to always-online.

Offline Late

« Reply #1671 on: March 22, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »
Gameplay videos are of limited value. We saw "gameplay" videos of Colonial Marines. They turned out to be faked, but everyone published them in good faith.
Of course Maxis/EA didn't publish gameplay vids showing the traffic being completely borked, the servers being horrendous to connect to, the RCI balancing being screwed, or the inter-city trades etc. being broken - nobody would expect them to highlight the game's problems. They showcased the good parts of the game, as you'd expect - so gameplay vids aren't worth much.
And review sites that had a copy before launch couldn't actually play them, because the servers were only enabled on launch day. A few journalists had played the game before launch, but only in a closed door session on a private server - which meant they had no connection problems and had bigger city limits (the two main problems most people have had with the game). They were effectively playing a game that's different to the one released.

My point was that it's often not safe to preorder games these days, as you can't be sure how good the game is or how well it'll play, and I'll maintain that SimCity falls firmly in that category. I'm certain there's a gem of a game in there, and I'm still tempted to get it - but the problems it's suffered definitely mean it's not the same game they were trying to get us all to preorder, and if I'd had it on day one I would've been furious. (Perhaps not as narked as Francis, but pretty angry all the same...)

I wanted to stay away from IGN's review of Bioshock Infinite, on the basis it's got a good chance of being biased - but I couldn't resist having a quick look. Pleased to see it's scored very highly :D
There's been a lack of reviews, and a LOT of good pre-order bonuses - and both of those are usually signs a game isn't going to live up to it's hype, but this might be the exception.

I'm nearly finished Sleeping Dogs now. Have finished the stories and the races, and have collected all the collectibles, etc.
Still a few things to wrap up - a handful of cars and clothes still to buy, and a few fight clubs to beat, etc. but there's not much left to do.
Fantastic game - I highly recommend it to everyone (except Harv*). It's a serious contender at the top of the open world sandbox genre, duking it out with GTA and Saints Row, and in some respects beats both of those franchises...

Next game for me might be "Catherine". Picked it up cheap, and it gets high reviews, but it looks a bit weird - like you'd probably ask for a paper bag to hide it in before walking out of the shop with it...  :-\
Time will tell.

* Sorry - it doesn't have Mario or any horsies, and you control it with a game controller rather than a magic wand and/or a touchscreen.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:06:57 PM by Late »

Online jman

« Reply #1672 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
Well Simcity did have an open beta.. it just had server issues - so prehaps it was quite indicative of the final version lol

I remember seeing Catherine in blockbusters when it first came out.. definitely looks weird.. from what I can remember its a sexed up japanese game where you have to decide between two women and then you start having vivid dreams in which you get beaten up by one of them.. or something like that ??

I'll probably get Sleeping Dogs at some point.. no time soon though, should have the new Gears game when I get in tonight and Army of Two by next week - so plenty to keep me busy.. its ALL about SimCity at the moment.. I started a public game last night called Simbuktu  ;D - just to see how I get on.. but nobody had joined by the time I went to bed, so prehaps theres too many games going on at once - I dunno.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:05:18 PM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #1673 on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
Damn but I've made the convo a bit disjointed by editing my last post at the same time you were typing your response.
My bad.
I forgot about SimCity's open beta.

I still maintain I wouldn't have been happy had I preordered it, though.

And the Francis video link I inserted is definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it already. Dude's not happy at all, lol

Offline Late

« Reply #1674 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:27 AM »
Catherine is some batty shit. So far it seems to be a mash up of a jap dating game and qbert... ???

Offline harv

« Reply #1675 on: March 23, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »

Online jman

« Reply #1676 on: March 24, 2013, 03:53:19 PM »
I was doing so well on my 3rd real attempt at a city - but gonna have to restart again...

Lessons learnt this time around :

Dont make too many intersections in your main roads.. the traffic backed up so much - everything was literally at a standstill.. I had to reload the city to unblock everything but it all started to back up again.

RCI balancing.. this part of the game is so hard to get right because everything depends on everything else - its a really fine balance that I've struggled to obtain in any of the cities I've built so far - the info help pop-ups are so useless and often give you unhelpful advice.

Dont make big hospitals, police stations and fire stations just because you can.. they are a massive drain on money - especially with a university too... almost seems like you need to depend on your neighbours services some of the time.. which is total bollocks.

Dont start smashing loads of skyscrapers/office blocks to do a big re-zone - I was up to 230k population and went down to 110k by rezoning about 4 blocks worth - this in turn pushed me into -15,000k per hour and it was only a matter of a few minutes before I bit the dust - wasn't so long ago I had over a million simoleons and had started a global project :(

Offline harv

« Reply #1677 on: March 24, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »
Blimey, someone on another forum I frequent is 9 hours into Lego City Undercover at 10% :o

I love games that are good value for money! ;D

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #1678 on: March 24, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
Platinum'd Shift 2...Tough one that was...That makes 48 now.

Great game, but that trophy list whacks it out of you, definitely had enough of the game come the end of it all.

Online jman

« Reply #1679 on: March 25, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
Dont know why you bother ross, Shift 2 was boring as hell.. why would you bother putting yourself through that  :o I'll get the achievements, but only if a game is fun and wont eat into too much of my time... got half way with the achievements in shift 2 myself - and even that felt like a slog.

I started Gears of War : Judgement at the weekend - feels more like a massive piece of DLC rather than its own game.. the gameplay is the same as normal but the campaign doesnt flow like a normal campaign.. each chapter of the story is split into missions - and each mission is just a setpiece really and you go from mission to mission.  Each mission is score based too and you can declassify each mission (which makes it harder in some way) to increase your score multiplier.  I dunno, the way its set out feels more linear - even though if all the missions were joined together - it would be no more linear than normal.. its weird - but ultimately its still quite fun so I do like the game.. apparently the whole game is quite short - which is not good though.