https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662707 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1680 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »
Ordered Bioshock Infinite yesterday.
I generally don't like to preorder a game, especially one that's not been reviewed by anyone yet (other than the IGN exclusive) but I figure they're unlikely to completely screw up Bioshock - and at £29.99 for the console version the price was good.
Release date is tomorrow. I imagine my copy will arrive a day or two after that, but you never know.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #1681 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
Bugger thats a good price... I've got to resist and wait until I've got time to play it... least you can let us know what its really like late  :P

Offline Late

« Reply #1682 on: March 25, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
Dispatched this morning, Royal Mail 1st class. There's a chance I might have it tomorrow... :D

I reckon I'll finish Catherine tonight. I don't like all the sim-dating stuff, but the puzzle game is actually fairly decent (though the sort of thing you might expect in an XBLA game rather than a full retail game). Last night I completed arena 6 or 7 (can't remember which) out of 8, so not far to go. It's not a game I'd recommend at over ten quid, but if you see it for around a fiver it's definitely worth a look. I paid £13.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #1683 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »
Dont know why you bother ross, Shift 2 was boring as hell.. why would you bother putting yourself through that  :o I'll get the achievements, but only if a game is fun and wont eat into too much of my time... got half way with the achievements in shift 2 myself - and even that felt like a slog.

I'm a sucker for racing games, especially sim racers...I did take a break from Shift 2 for a while because it just started to feel like too much of a slog...I like challenging Platinums that actually test your skill, which Shift 2 definitely does!

Offline jman

« Reply #1684 on: March 26, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »
You'd like Forza and PGR then.. have you played the Dirt games.. apart from Showdown which I haven't played, I've enjoyed them all.. far more than the NFS games anyway - Shift & Shift 2 are the worst NFS games created IMO.. they should stick to what they are good at which is arcade racing with police pursuits - The Run was OK but quite short-lived.

Achievements/Trophies should be about fun though.. I hate games that have achievements which require a lot of un-challenging gameplay to unlock - even worse - a lot of multiplayer gameplay... if you know you "can" get 100% or a Platinum.. I dont see the point in actually doing it - unless its going to fun or you really enjoy the game.. much rather jack it in and spend the valuable time I do get to play games, playing something that is going to be fun.

Offline Late

« Reply #1685 on: March 26, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
Achievements have lost their appeal to me a bit, in recent years - as is demonstrated by my 980/1000 on Lego Batman 2. There's one achievement remaining - play a level co-op. Could easily do it with one of the kids, or even by turning on the second controller but not using it, but I've finished the game and done everything (apart from a co-0op level, it seems) - the game has gone to the shelf, and not many games make it back from there.

They're useful, though, on occasion, as they direct you toward things you might never have tried or noticed ordinarily. I like it when you finish a game and see there's an achievement for saving a certain person, or an achievement for seeing both endings, something like that, which makes you consider replaying a game to see some things you missed. Without those achievements being there I might never have bothered to replay the game, and would've missed out. Of course that only applies to games I enjoy. If I don't like it much I ain't replaying it to get the second ending, no matter how many achievement points you're offering me.

I generally can't be arsed with going out of my way to do legwork to get extra achievements though, once I consider a game "finished". Life's too short. I've a big stack of games I need to play - I'd rather put those in the machine than replay a game I've completed twice over just so I can find the final hidden object or two. And online multiplayer achievements can kiss my arse.

Offline harv

« Reply #1686 on: March 26, 2013, 06:56:27 PM »
Not too sure what's happening with Lego City Undercover...thought it was released on 22nd so sent Zavvi another snotty email but have since found that for some strange reason ShopTo decided to start selling it on the 22nd and everyone else is releasing it for sale on the 29th. Ooops lol ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #1687 on: March 27, 2013, 01:42:10 AM »
I bought Crimson Shroud from the 3DS eShop earlier and have just started it. The music is gorgeous, the art direction is just as good. It has turn-based combat from what I remember from reviews but it does it old-school with you throwing the dice which is great. I think I'm really going to enjoy this!!! 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #1688 on: March 27, 2013, 02:10:56 AM »
Omfg, this game is delightfully old-school...your characters and enemies appear as those lead figures I used to buy when playing D&D and T&T when I was a kid. Fan-fucking-tastic!!! :o :o :o 8)

Bloody hell, this really is a game for those of us that grew up in the 70s and particularly the 80s. Outfuckingstanding!!!!! 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #1689 on: March 27, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
... D&D and T&T when I was a kid...
Snigger.
Please tell me you have to roll dice - verify that mental image we have of you.

Well done simplygames.com. Ordered Bioshock Infinite on Sunday evening, got it yesterday, on release day.
Didn't get much time to play it, mind. Had about an hour between dinner and the footy, and didn't get a chance to play it later, but I'm loving the little bit I've seen so far.

Offline jman

« Reply #1690 on: March 27, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »
No, this is the image I have of harv... its been burned into my mind

(Perhaps not as narked as Francis, but pretty angry all the same...)

;D ;D

Guy at work got Bioshock Infinite yesterday too, he says its quality... will pick it up sooner rather than later.. maybe next month.

Army of Two :TDC got dispatched yesterday - hope I get it today.. got a mate coming over tonight for a gaming sesh.. otherwise we'll be starting Gears in co-op, the mission mode in the new Gears is growing on me a lot now.. although the game still feels a bit weird without playing as Marcus or Dom.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:02:50 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #1691 on: March 27, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »
Yup, already said you have to roll dice. That's part of what makes it so cool...although I'd prefer it if the controls for that were different - you use the stylus to do it, and I'd prefer to shake the actual 3DS. Still, pretty cool all the same. :P

Offline Late

« Reply #1692 on: March 27, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »
Battlefield 4 is looking great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U8HVQXkeU8U

Expected to release on pc, ps3, and xbox360 in Autumn this year. Not on the Wii U, though, because it doesn't have any ponies or Italian plumbers in it.

Offline jman

« Reply #1693 on: March 27, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »
Wont be buying BF4 unless they change the multiplayer so that they re-introduce bots and allow private servers - in fact, I'd actually just prefer they didnt bother wasting time making a campaign mode and concentrated all their efforts into making the best and fully featured multiplayer game possible.  The video does look good, but its running on a high end pc.. the graphics wont look anywhere near as good on the 360/PS3.

Offline harv

« Reply #1694 on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Hmmm...after years of despising turn-based games I'm seriously considering buying Fire Emblem after all of the good reviews it's getting. Going to download the demo later and have a look-see. It's an SRPG too, and I'm really not a fan of strategy games.

In advance I'm thinking Crimson Shroud might have ruined what little enjoyment I had with turn-based combat - not going to be the same without seeing D&D lead figures and rolling dice lol :P Can't believe how cool this game is, it's bringing back my geeky 7-14 year old self :-[ ;D