https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662917 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1740 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
A few Wii U figures got released today after Nintendo revealed their full fiscal year profit... a profit that was made purely down to a week yen as sales were actually 2% down on the previous year where they made a massive loss and their operating income was about the same..

Nintendos original target of selling 5.5million Wii U's by the end of March ... which was then slimmed down to 4 million... managed to even miss the revised target... they actually only shifted 3.45 million - I make that about 400k sold worldwide since christmas!  :o  ;D

Now they have forecast 9 million by the end of the next financial year (April 2014).. which is even lower than harvs estimate of 10 million+ by christmas lol...

The tie ratio is apparently 3.8 games per console... although I suspect this counts games packaged in with bundles - so its really quite poor.

I cant help but think that the Wii U is going to die out even faster when the power twins come to the table, even with the release of the 1st party games  :-\

Offline harv

« Reply #1741 on: April 24, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
My 10m+ is still very doable. Remember, I said an installed userbase over 10m. If they hit their 9m target that would make the installed userbase over 12m by the end of the financial year.

The main problem has been lack of software, but we've got Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Game & Wario, Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 all arriving from Nintendo before the end of the year. I'm also expecting a price cut around the same time as the releases of 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 in November.

Another problem is the lack of marketing, and what little marketing they've done so far has been pants.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline bealec

« Reply #1742 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »
Cue Harv with the Danny Welback arguement "Just because the figures are shit doesn't mean he/she/it is shit"

Edit: looks like it happened quicker then I expected.

Offline harv

« Reply #1743 on: April 24, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
Finished Lego City Undercover the other day, 36 hours and 20 minutes and I've only done 31% of the game. the amount of content in the game is insane. Not only is the City huge but unlike most sandbox cities you can enter some of the buildings and explore plenty of rooftops.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #1744 on: April 24, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
There's not a single "must have" game for the Wii U. Saying "there'll be one soon" doesn't help. I was pretty sure Aliens Colonial Marines would be one. Not only was the game shit, the U version actually got scrapped. I was pretty sure Lego City Undercover would be one. It looks good, but it's not a must have. (Doesn't look much different to Lego Batman 2, tbh - which was a great game but LCU was supposed to be some innovative new leap forward for the series.) And none of the games Harv's mentioned there sounds anywhere near as appealing as those two games sounded.
I just don't see any appeal in the Wii U. If it gets a big price slash and a load of great games then maybe I'd have it as a second machine. But it doesn't look likely to get a big price slash or a load of great games.

Don't bother trying to tell me how Lego City Undercover is so much better than Lego Batman 2, unless you've completed both, Harv.
Incidentally, longevity is fairly important in a game, but just because someone takes 100 hours to complete it doesn't always mean it's a 100 hour game. Sometimes it just means that person's a bit shit at the game.
This indicates it should take around 17 or 18 hours to get to the stage you're at with the game (main story complete, overall around 31% completion). Different people will naturally take different lengths of time to complete different games, but you took over 36 hours to get that far?

As for Nintendo's latest accounts - ouch!

I haven't seen the full figures, the highlights I've seen (a £240m operating loss but an overall profit of £47m) are bad. Looks like they're operating at a loss but managed to scrape a profit thanks to non-trading income (mainly exchange rate variations and accounting adjustments?).
If the element of your business that you're controlling is losing massive amounts of money and the element of your business that's largely out of your control* is the only part that's making money then you're surviving thanks to chance/fortune rather than good business.
Like I say, I've not looked at the figures, and the above is just an initial gut reaction...

*(and partly illusory i.e. not real cash)

My 10m+ is still very doable. Remember, I said an installed userbase over 10m. If they hit their 9m target that would make the installed userbase over 12m by the end of the financial year.
They currently appear to be selling around 150k units per month. Extrapolating that gives less than 2m units per annum. Of course, that doesn't take into account seasonal attitudes, price cuts, and increased interest in the machine as the year progresses - but if they're currently on target to sell 1.8m units in 2013 then it seems ridiculously optimistic to think they'll sell five times that...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1745 on: April 24, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
It's all in the software mate. The releases of those titles will increase sales considerably, particularly 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8. 3m between now and November and 4m+ is very doable. If it doesn't make 10m it won't be too far off. And like I said I'm expecting a $50 price cut anytime between August and November.

One weird thing is that Nintendo's shares are up 4% since the financial report has been released. Bit weird! :o

Offline harv

« Reply #1746 on: April 24, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »
As for my time on Lego City Undercover a fair amount of that time has been spent driving around with the sole intentions of a) exploring the city and b) breaking as many things as possible lol. I always put more time than average into sandbox GTA-esque games and due to me having to complete games as quickly as possible during my career I always take my time to enjoy games when not working on a title. 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #1747 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
Blimey, Nintendo aren't having an E3 presentation :o

Guess they're going to have their Nintendo Direct doing that instead!

Offline jman

« Reply #1748 on: April 25, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
LOL.. they've got fuck all to show thats why!  Plus the fact they would get absolutely trounced by the sony and microsofts conference whatever they show - it probably is pointless.

The beginning of the end.  ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #1749 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
Mind you, the last 2 pre-E3 Nintendo Directs were much more impressive than their E3 showings lol ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1750 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »
Miiverse is now available on PCs and smartphones via a browser. Have linked to the most popular posts in the YouTube Community, some of the artwork is simply breathtaking. :o

Can't believe it took them so long to do it tbh, it's all done with XML so should have been easy to bring over :-\

Edit: Aw bollocks, you have to sign in to see that page :( You can still see some of the drawings by clicking on the Miiverse Main Page button.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:01:13 PM by harv »

Offline styles

« Reply #1751 on: April 25, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
As for my time on Lego City Undercover a fair amount of that time has been spent driving around with the sole intentions of a) exploring the city and b) breaking as many things as possible lol. I always put more time than average into sandbox GTA-esque games and due to me having to complete games as quickly as possible during my career I always take my time to enjoy games when not working on a title. 8)

Lol, when was the last time you were working on a title??
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #1752 on: April 25, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »
Years ago, but my attitude to playing games when not working on them has remained the same. I always take my time playing them, particularly a game like Lego City that rewards exploration.

Offline harv

« Reply #1753 on: April 26, 2013, 12:32:27 AM »
Okay Ubisoft, all is forgiven. The Rayman Legends Challenge app thingummybob is awesome! I'm guessing that the Murphy parts are going to be exclusive to the Wii U SKU. Quite cool that you see ghosts of other players whilst playing. Very entertaining and very addictive. They could probably get away with releasing this as a budget standalone downloadable title. :o

A real shame they delayed it though, great use of the GamePad. Quite surprising that the best games demonstrating the use of the GamePad are third party titles...although I guess we've only seen two from Nintendo so far. ZombiU, Lego City Undercover and Rayman Legends just wouldn't/won't be the same on the PS3 and 360. I can see the latter scoring considerably higher from all reviewers without an agenda.

Offline jman

« Reply #1754 on: April 26, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »
Happy birthday late.. according to facebook you've officially become an old git today  8)