https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662770 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #2055 on: August 29, 2013, 08:21:54 AM »
The Wonderful 101 - rated 79 on metacritic.. surely cant be that good then harv..  ;D

The xbox one has something stupid like 10/11 exclusives available at launch and the ps4 cant be too far behind that figure.. and that's not to mention all the 3rd party games the Wii U wont be getting... sorry but the real next-gen machines piss all over anything Nintendo have now decided to offer.

Had to laugh at the Nintendo 2DS... why the fuck would anyone buy the more expensive 3DS version now ??  Not only that.. but they have totally fucked up the design of the 2DS.. doesn't fold up.. no dual thumbsticks (still!!)..  and surely its a step-backwards and an admission from Nintendo that the 3DS was just total bollocks

Offline harv

« Reply #2056 on: August 29, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
The Wonderful 101 - rated 79 on metacritic.. surely cant be that good then harv..  ;D

The xbox one has something stupid like 10/11 exclusives available at launch and the ps4 cant be too far behind that figure.. and that's not to mention all the 3rd party games the Wii U wont be getting... sorry but the real next-gen machines piss all over anything Nintendo have now decided to offer.

Had to laugh at the Nintendo 2DS... why the fuck would anyone buy the more expensive 3DS version now ??  Not only that.. but they have totally fucked up the design of the 2DS.. doesn't fold up.. no dual thumbsticks (still!!)..  and surely its a step-backwards and an admission from Nintendo that the 3DS was just total bollocks

It's a typical Platinum game, they tend to average 8/10. Mainly because they're too much of a challenge for reviewers and have a learning curve lol. The combat is deceptively deep and the game has plenty of replay value. GTA V is going to win the GOTY awards all over the place but The Wonderful 101 deserves to have an honourable mention.

As for the 2DS, it's obviously aimed at children aged 8 and under - hence the price, lack of 3D and lack of a clam shell design. Like I've said it's obviously a 'My First Nintendo Console' for kids. And it's launching alongside Pokemon so it's going to fly off shelves.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #2057 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:51 PM »
Kamiya has said that he'd love Platinum to go second party with Nintendo :o

Can't imagine the nerd rage if that happened, but can't see it happening myself lol ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #2058 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
Haven't liked anything he's been involved with since the original Resi, personally (but I know he's got a lot of fans). Can't stand Devil May Cry nor Bayonetta.

So I'd be in favour of him transferring his company to that sinking ship.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #2059 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Must of missed this backtrack from Microsoft (theres been so many) but the X1 does come with an included headset - Link

Offline harv

« Reply #2060 on: August 30, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »
And you can only say 'Xbox On' in the US, UK, Canada, France and Germany on launch day lol

Offline Late

« Reply #2061 on: August 30, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
You know you want a X1  ;) 
I've genuinely decided which console I'm definitely getting, three or four times a week for the last few weeks - before changing my mind shortly afterward.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the ps4.
Except for that bloody controller...
The ds4 is reported to be better than the ds3, which in turn is supposedly better than the ds2 (the last Sony controller I used) - and I was happy enough with the ds2 at the time - so it's probably good, and just takes time to get used to it.
But the left analogue stick is in the wrong place! In terms of symmetry it's in the right place (and my OCD often demands symmetry), but in terms of putting your thumbs in a comfortable position it's all so very wrong.
And don't get me started on that completely pointless (so far as I can see) touchpad.

In terms of gaming, it's pretty much neck and neck between the two, from where I'm stood. A free copy of FIFA 14 is nice, but I'm not really into footy games. I'll play them for a while, but I'm rubbish, and don't have the enthusiasm to get better. (Compare to COD where I was rubbish for a couple of years but carried on playing it loads because it was still fun. These days I'm a lot better - I've dragged myself up to "average".)
Getting COD maps a month earlier is nice - but not major. Exclusives and indie support on the two platforms seem to be pretty even.

Price of course plays it's part. I have around £530 credit so can easily get either console - but the difference is I could get an xb1 with a couple of extras (maybe a second controller and a game, or a couple of games); or I could get a ps4 with a fair few extras (a second controller and around three games - or maybe get a Vita, since I'd then be getting free games for it).

Kinnect voice control is cool. Gimmicky, but cool. But then I have to consider my Harmony remote - which would get confused if another device started switching inputs etc. on my av equipment. If all inputs went through the xb1 it's possible I could do away with the remote entirely - but the xb1 has only one hdmi input, and I'm not sure if it'd work if you fed several different hdmi sources into it using a switcher. I'd need the Sky to go into it, but also the media player. Possibly the BD player too - but I could get rid of that if the console is quiet whilst playing BDs and DVDs.

I'm going round in circles!
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #2062 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
So, about playing newer games first, I sort of went off that and decided to dedicate the last few days to knocking out the L.A. Noire Platinum...That's 56 now  ;D

But yeah, still a great game, it's often overlooked because of other bigger titles that Rockstar have put out, but the graphics are excellent, and for such a simple idea, it's executed brilliantly and produces some incredibly fun gameplay.

Platinum wasn't too hard, getting 5 stars on all cases is tough, but everything else is pretty easy aside some horribly long collectibles and some of the 100% requirements being way too drawn out. Still a great game though.

Offline harv

« Reply #2063 on: August 30, 2013, 06:07:26 PM »
Am now on the second level of The Wonderful 101. This really is a masterpiece. When you first start playing either the game or the demo it's a real, serious, mega clusterfuck lol. There's just so much going on at , but once you've played it for a while (or the demodfrom start to finish two or three times) it 'clicks'. I've never experienced anything like it tbh lol.

It's kind of typical Kamiya fare with regards to the deceptively deep combat, hidden stuff all over the place and very little hand holding but has ridiculous boss fights and the narrative of the game is akin to the film style of the Godzilla type films, and the name escapes me for the moment! So much so that it doesn't feel right playing it in English, I'm playing it in Japanese with English subtitles.

This game is spectacular in every way. This is going in my top 5 games of all-time, where it ends up depends on how the rest of it goes but from what I've seen so far it's looking like number 3. :o

1) Elite
2) Football Manager (the original)
3) The Wonderful 101
4) The Empire Strikes Back
5) Half-Life (all of them - and yes, I know it's cheating lol)

The Wonderful 101 has just edged out Fallout 3 GOTY Edition.

Offline harv

« Reply #2064 on: August 30, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »
Kaiju films...bloomin memory lol :P

Offline harv

« Reply #2065 on: August 31, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »
Fucking hell, the boss fights in this game are fucking INSANE!!! :o

Just finished Operation 002, the third level. This really is a fucking masterpiece, don't have a clue how many polys this game is pushing but all of the models are considerably higher poly than anything seen on the PS3 and 360 so far, and it's 720p native, 60fps with v-synch enabled too. Very impressive technically.

Offline jman

« Reply #2066 on: August 31, 2013, 07:44:08 AM »
You know you want a X1  ;) 
I've genuinely decided which console I'm definitely getting, three or four times a week for the last few weeks - before changing my mind shortly afterward.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the ps4.

You've pretty much always leaned towards the ps4 in your logical view... there are a ton of reasons to get a ps4...

...but you know you want a X1  ;)  ;D

Either way.. you definitely shouldn't hang around too long... game could be out of business by the time you decide  :P

Offline harv

« Reply #2067 on: September 01, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
Just finished Operation 003, a third of the way through the game now.

Those reviewers that have complained about the controls must have either sausage fingers, bad hand-eye coordination or are just fucking things up because they're panicking, something I've been guilty of myself a few times lol :-[ :P

Offline Late

« Reply #2068 on: September 02, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
The revised xbox rewards scheme has now been announced.
Details (and registration) here.

You earn "credits" for doing certain things. Get 5000 credits and they'll bung $5 (£3.35ish) into your account.
Things earning you credits include buying gold subscriptions, playing games that have been out for less than a month, making online purchases, installing more apps, and of course surveys and referring friends.
You also get credits for making purchases from xbla. The amount you get depends on your gamerscore - so you get a lot if you've got over 75k GS.

I currently have 3000 credits on my account - applied retrospectively, thanks to me renewing my gold subs about a month ago.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #2069 on: September 02, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »
Bit of a twist on the Xbox One front...

Apparently, that free copy of FIFA 14 is exclusive to the "Day One Xbox One Editions", and only if you've pre-ordered the console too, so don't get expect a copy of FIFA if you buy later than release date or if you choose another version of the console.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-16013-FIFA-14-Only-Comes-Free-With-Xbox-One-Day-One-Edition-Pre-Orders.html