https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662896 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »
Buggering flip, Ninja Gaiden 3 is getting absolutely slaughtered in reviews :o

I was really looking forward to it as well :( :'(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
If you went solely on review scores... you wouldnt even have a wii  ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
I think the review summary by IGN in particular is pretty damning:

Ninja Gaiden 3 is a gash on the face of the franchise and one of the worst games the action genre has yet suffered...It's a nightmare that's as easy as it is uninteresting, and it abandons what used to work for awful new ideas that don't work together. Under no circumstance should you ever waste your time on this self-indulgent and abysmal wreck.

:o :o :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
If you went solely on review scores... you wouldnt even have a wii  ;)

It's a nightmare that's as easy as it is uninteresting, and it abandons what used to work for awful new ideas that don't work together. Under no circumstance should you ever waste your time on this self-indulgent and abysmal wreck.

Like I said..  ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »
[troll]

Interesting what the Darksiders 2 dev said this week regarding the Wii U...

So far the hardware’s been on par with what we have with the current generations. Based on what I understand, the resolution and textures and polycounts and all that stuff, we’re not going to being doing anything to up-rez the game, but we’ll take advantage of the controller for sure.

;D

[/troll]

Offline jman

« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »
No longer L33T on halo reach..  :( got some new achievements on it last night.. but they did push me past 75,000 !!!  Am gonna try and get all the 'chievements on reach.. only got multiplayer ones left... some of them seem a bit hit/miss though.. as in, I did one last night and it didnt pop... probably wasnt playing on the correct map.. or the correct mode.. so it might take a while...

New South Park game out on xbla on friday, "Tenorman's Revenge".. doesnt look as fun as the tower defense game, but I'll be giving it a go as I love South Park, so I bet its hilarious... also looking forward to South Park : The Game in the summer...

Daytona USA and Sega Rally Online are down to 400 MS pts this week.. I might give Daytona a go.. I loved that in the arcade..and I bought it for the Saturn back in the day... I loved Sega Rally in the arcade too but I would rather buy the full disc based Sega Rally.. been meaning too.. just havent seen it cheap enough on ebay yet..

Offline Late

« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
No longer L33T on halo reach..  :(
lol  ;D That was a great score to land on - can't believe you ruined it!

Let me know if its worth downloading as I havent done so yet...
Finally got the chance to have a proper go on Defence Grid, this week...

Positives - GLADoS is beautifully voiced, and the scripting is pretty decent - with a few great lines for both computer systems.
Negatives - the layout on the new levels isn't as clever as the original maps, generally, and some of the new features are just irritating (for instance, sometimes all of your towers just disappear, sold by glados, and you've got to frantically rebuild).
All in all the "You Monster" map pack is good in a "more levels is good" way, and there's a lot of fun in there for the price - but tbh I prefer the original maps. Thoroughly enjoyed playing through those ones again, to get back into the swing of things. They've changed the scoring system since we played it a few years ago, btw Kieron, (you now get 24k extra points for finishing a level) which has resulted in our scores looking completely crap. Mine are okay now that I've replayed all the levels, so it's just yours looking embarrassingly low now... ;)
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
lol... I was top of each level im sure.. I will probably download the DLC at some point.. its just that getting back into the swing of things that puts me off...

Offline Late

« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »
You were only ahead of me on a couple of levels.

Rumours abound today about the Sony Orbis (aka ps4) coming out in 2013...
All unsubstantiated of course.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:32:55 PM by Late »
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:59 PM »
Very odd decision if both Sony and Microsoft give pre-owned software the finger. These online passes are bad enough but if you can't play a single player campaign when you buy a title pre-owned then I'm not going anywhere near them.

I can see Nintendo utilising the NFC technology in the controller to deter piracy but can't see them doing anything to discourage pre-owned software use. Pissing off retailers in this industry isn't a good idea. :-\

Offline jman

« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
But if microsoft/sony did stop the use of pre-owned games and piracy and also implemented digital purchases of all retail games... dont you think the RRP of their games will go down in price (like the PC).. and therefore make the Wii U games the more expensive... something that would be a massive disadvantage for nintendo.

...as much as I dont want MS/Sony to kill the pre-owned market.. I think if they both did... that still wouldnt tempt me to buy a Wii U..  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
They won't go down enough to beat pre-owned prices though mate unfortunately. And you should wait for the Wii U information blowout at this years E3 before making up your mind mate. A great deal of people are going to be pleasantly (and some fanboys unpleasantly lol) surprised by what we're going to see.

A Nintendo console with good third party support is too much for most gamers with any sort of sense to resist. The best quality first party titles combined with the best third party support any Nintendo console has had since the SNES :o

2D and 3D Mario games, Metroid FPA, Eternal Darkness sequel, Donkey Kong, F Zero, Wave Race, Punch Out, Zelda, untitled Retro game (although this may be Metroid), untitled Monolith Soft game (the developers behind Xenoblade, considered by many to be the best JRPG released this gen), Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros..

And then you've got the third party multiplatform titles that will be a better experience on the U...the most important 2 of note imo will be Tiger Woods and Aliens Colonial Marines. 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
Killing off the second hand market will require a big drop in rrp.
As I've said before, I have no brand loyalty - cost and quality are my biggest concerns. If the U has a second hand market and the new sony and microsoft don't then I'd have to seriously consider my options. That's assuming all of the next gen consoles have similar price and similar specs. Can't see that assumption being correct, but even so - I'd have to consider going with the inferior product if I know the games are going to be cheaper (ie buy new and sell second hand, or buy second hand and keep). If Sony/Microsoft games are considerably cheaper they stand a good chance of getting my custom. If they're priced at a similar level to the U, though, I'll be one of the umpteen million who abandon them and get a nintendo instead. Much as it pains me.

Can't see hardware or software publishers benefiting from this, tbh. We're all on a budget, and if punters can't sell their originals or buy second hand ones they're either going to have to pay a lot less for each game or buy a lot less games. (Or defect to the console that allows a second hand market.)

Net effect is they're reducing profit margins, and killing a rival industry (which will mean more companies struggling and more lay-offs for young people). Way to go.

Offline harv

« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2012, 04:58:38 PM »
Why would it pain you to get a U..? They seem to be doing everything right - releasing a true next gen console with high-end components, making attempts to get their online infrastructure up to snuff, paying attention to feedback from third party developers regarding development of the hardware and making great efforts to get third party support.

Seems to me that they're going out of their way to win back traditional/enthusiast/hardcore/dudebro gamers. :o I can't think of anything more they could possibly do to attract third parties to the platform - they're even giving away tens of thousands of pounds worth of middleware and software for U development for free. Wouldn't surprise me if that's ended up costing them a few million altogether. It's certainly an industry first.

Offline Late

« Reply #164 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »
Apart from the stigma (Nintendo being a slightly more gay brand than KY these days) you mean?

The tech. Despite your protestations to the contrary, everyone knows the rival consoles will be massively superior to the U.
As I say, the U might be a viable option though.  Only time will tell...