https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662986 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #2160 on: September 20, 2013, 07:04:47 AM »
Once Christmas has come and gone the Wii U will have an installed userbase too big for even the likes of Bethesda and EA to ignore. It's all in the numbers at the end of the day.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #2161 on: September 20, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »
lol.. harv living in la-la land again.. remember when you thought GTA5 was coming to the Wii U ?  ;D ;D ;D

Western developers and Nintendo don't go.. this has always been the case.. it wont change.. you sound desperate for the Wii U to get the games the X1/PS4 will be getting...

These are a few recent quotes from Bethesda marketing chief Pete Hines..

The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long passed

Pick the consoles that have the games you want to play. You shouldn't have ever bought a Wii U expecting to play great Bethesda games on there because that's not something we'd ever supported in the past.

Pretty damning don't you think. (Link)

Offline Late

« Reply #2162 on: September 20, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
It's all in the numbers at the end of the day.

Indeed. And the numbers show that you lose money if you make decent Wii U games, and you can relatively easily turn a profit if you make shovelware.

Most Microsoft and Sony customers know what games they want, and can tell the good from the crap when they're buying games - so good games sell well and make decent amounts of money, and crap games suffer. Even those who don't know much about gaming can usually pick up on what's good and what's not just by seeing the tv adverts, the game charts, and hearing general buzz.

By opening themselves up to as wide an audience as possible of non-gamers and casual gamers, Nintendo have a lot of customers who don't know much/anything about gaming, and when they do buy a game they'll buy any old shite. With no advertising of premium games, and the charts full of absolute drivel the problem is exacerbated - as more non-gamers buy crap games and eschew the half decent titles.
"I don't really know which of those games is good, but that £20 one with twelve different sports games included in it looks fun and there's bound to be some in there we like, Mabel. Look - it's got darts. Bert will enjoy that. And it's got quoits. Agatha loves a bit of quoits. That £35 one doesn't look like our cup of tea at all..." said the average Nintendo customer, yesterday.

Nintendo's first party titles will do okay. Everyone knows where they stand with Mario games, and know they'll get a polished and family-oriented game. But when it comes to third party titles, you're better off spending £10'000 making a shite party game than spending £1'000'000 on porting a good title.

As for making premium exclusive titles for the console? No chance. You can't sell enough to break even, even if you include the game in one of your main console bundles.
If Ubisoft make a second Zombiu game it'll be for the xb1 and ps4. The U might get a port. Makes more sense to just cut their losses and walk away from the title and the platform, though...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #2163 on: September 20, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
Harv sitting on his Wii U playing games aimed at soccer moms and kids while we're all hammering a potential GOAT contender in GTA V.  ;D

Had to be up at 8 this morning but realised it was 4am when I finally pulled myself away from the 360.  :( Thank fuck it's Friday! I've played the stock market well enough to acquire a couple of properties. My favourite part of the old GTAs was buying properties and completing missions for them.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:29:45 PM by ancelotti »

Offline Late

« Reply #2164 on: September 20, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
So it just took me an uncomfortable two minutes or so to work out what goat you were hammering until 4 in the am! =))

I was playing until about 3am last night, but was nodding off. Hate that sleep and work keep getting in the way of my GTAing.

You're a way in front of me, Kenny. Fairly late last night I got access to the stockmarket, and bought a small handful of shares - but pretty much straight away after I was (finally) given control of Trevor - and can't get back to Michael at the moment to see if his shares have done anything.

Only property I own (other than each character's home) is the airstrip. Have done a few 'plane missions, and am enjoying them. :D
Keen to get some more properties though.

Should be able to get properly stuck into the game tomorrow, fingers crossed.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #2165 on: September 20, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »
Your about as far as me then.. pretty much exactly where I am

Offline harv

« Reply #2166 on: September 20, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
I'm quite happily playing Rayman Legends at the moment. And will be getting Wind Waker HD and one of the following - Arkham Origins, Sonic Lost World or Assassins Creed IV - for my birthday next month. No shovelware or games aimed at kids there.

Like I've said, once the Wii U has sold over 8m before the end of the year even the likes of Bethesda and EA will change their minds about supporting the Wii U, shareholders will demand it...particularly when the Wii U has sold more than 4 times the amount of the PS4 and especially the One before the end of the year. You're going to see a lot of publishers and developers losing a great deal of money due to their One support. It's going to bomb, and bomb hard.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #2167 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »
I'm quite happily playing Rayman  Legends... Sonic Lost World ... No games aimed at kids there...

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #2168 on: September 20, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »
Yeah Rayman and Sonic were awesome games... when I was 8.

Offline harv

« Reply #2169 on: September 20, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
You won't find a child able to complete either one of those games. Just because one is cel-shaded and the other has colourful graphics and no shooting, doesn't make them kid's games. ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #2170 on: September 20, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »
Yeah Rayman and Sonic were awesome games... when I was 8.

And everyone here was fapping over Rayman Origins last year too 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #2171 on: September 20, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
You won't find a child able to complete either one of those games. Just because one is cel-shaded and the other has colourful graphics and no shooting, doesn't make them kid's games. ;)
Yeah, kids can't play Sonic or Rayman.
Meanwhile, on planet Earth...

And everyone here was fapping over Rayman Origins last year too 8)
They were? I feel I missed out, now, by not being aroused by Rayman.
No, Harv, nobody here masturbated at the idea of playing Rayman.

Offline harv

« Reply #2172 on: September 20, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
I didn't say they couldn't play them, I said they couldn't complete them. Big difference.

And yes, there were plenty of people here playing Origins last year and raving about it.

Offline Late

« Reply #2173 on: September 21, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
No wonder you got sacked as a games tester.
"These Sonic, Pikmin, Rayman, Mario, and Pokemon games are too difficult - kids won't want to play them."

Put your kiddie console away and get GTA, moron.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #2174 on: September 21, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Let's be honest, if Harv finds kiddie games challenging he wouldn't be able to cope with a proper game like GTA.  ;D