https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662664 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
And I wouldn't classify myself as a fanboy either. I like the Wii and 3DS, and am really liking the sound of the U but if I were to be classified as a fanboy of one of the three platform holders it would be Sony, not Nintendo. ;)

I've owned a Sony console for the last 3 console generations, have owned a Sony portable last portable generation and if the Vita was at a decent pricepoint, had decently priced memory expansions and decent games then I'd own a Sony portable this portable generation too. Plus I much prefer Sony IPs to Nintendo IPs too. The only Nintendo IPs I would say are on a par with Sony IPs are Zelda and Metroid. Uncharted, Killzone (apart from the first one which was shite), God of War, Resistance and LittleBigPlanet knock the socks off of any of the other Nintendo franchises...although Super Mario Galaxies 1 and 2 are on a par in small doses, but Mario being the most annoying character in video game history means I can only play them in small doses.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline styles

« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:26 PM »
You are such a fan boy
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
Then how come (Wii aside) I prefer Sony consoles and franchises to Nintendo ones. If Resident Evil Revelations was a Vita title and Sony hadn't seriously cocked up with the Vita I probably wouldn't have got a 3DS...and I'm still planning getting a Vita as soon as Sony see sense, bring the price down and have some decent software available for it.

The Wii is the first Nintendo console I've ever owned - I've never owned a NES or SNES thanks to gaming on my Speccy, I bought a PS1 over an N64, a PS2 over a Gamecube, a Game Gear over a Gameboy and a PSP over a DS.

I like what Nintendo have done this gen with motion controls at a time when gaming for me had started to become stale and I've also liked what they've done with the 3DS...playing Resident Evil in 3D without glasses is excellent. And I also like what they're doing with the U, although to be fair I wasn't too keen on it when the leaks first started before E3.

Just because I'm a fan of 1/5 Nintendo home consoles and 1/6 Nintendo portable consoles doesn't make me a fanboy. I'm a fan of the Wii, I'm a fan of the 3DS and now I'm a big fan of the U. But Nintendo..? No, like I've already stated I tend to prefer Sony as a company than Nintendo.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »
Then how come (Wii aside) I prefer Sony consoles and franchises to Nintendo ones.

It's not fanboyism to like the playstations - all three have been superb machines. If you own one and you tell people it's good that's only fair.

The wii, on the other hand really is crap. It's okay that some people (kids, old people, casual gamers) like it, because it really is clever - in its own niche way - but it's not a proper gaming machines and if an adult male "proper" gamer likes it there's definitely something amiss. Pretty much a classic definition of fanboyism.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
The Wii has missed out on plenty of big name multiplatform titles but it makes up for it due to the exclusives and Tiger Woods, Pro Evo and Guitar Hero being considerably better on the Wii platform.

Now the U is guaranteed third party multiplatform titles (for publishers that have any sense) at the end of this year/beginning of next year, will be guaranteed third party multiplatform titles next gen (thanks to Nintendo ditching the TEV Unit in favour of a GPU using programable shaders) and, unless Sony and Microsoft 'borrow' the touchscreen idea, will have superior versions of some of the third party multiplatform titles - Tiger Woods, FIFA, Pro Evo, Alien Colonial Marines, Resident Evil 6, Fallout 4, any RTS game and any game that uses an inventory/map waypoints/puzzle solving.

I really wasn't keen on the touchscreen controller when I first heard about it but the idea has grown on me now that I've thought of the advantages compared to a bog standard controller. And if there's a game where a touchscreen controller isn't necessary then it can double as a traditional controller anyway. It gives developers and designers more options, and that's a good thing imo.

I'm still hoping for haptic technology myself but it wasn't present in v4-4.2 of the dev kits and, despite the 3DS not having 3D screens until the very las minute, I can't see it happening at this late stage. Shame because it would be very cool indeed. 8) :P

Offline jman

« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
Harvs not a Nintendo fanboy!!!!

He's just misunderstood!

Seriously though harv... read this in an article about fanboyism... who on this forum do you think it describes the best...  ;D

Of course, real fanboys have grown out of ascribing anthropomorphic sexualities to inanimate gaming hardware. They've packed up their $ signs and clever rhyming puns featuring the word "gay" and moved into the comments threads about Serious Business, like quarterly financials and profit forecasts and corporate lawsuits and pixel shaders and alpha transparencies and shadow mapping and cabbages and kings.

Let's face facts - you don't know a damned thing about any of that stuff. Not really. You've read a few articles on the internet, and you've seen some phrases repeated often enough that you can blab them back out again like a parrot (possibly with some extra swearing added to show just how serious this all really is).

But if you really understood market economics, or corporate law, or modern graphics processing hardware... Well, you'd be earning a lot more money, you'd be able to afford to buy all the consoles you wanted, and you wouldn't have to engage in competitive online urination contests to prove the worthiness of your purchasing decisions.

The problem for the rest of us - the reason you're an annoyance, not just an amusement - is that you make so much bloody noise the games media, the whole conversation around games, ends up catering to you.

Offline Late

« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
Lol, that's about right...except I do know about console hardware ;)

A couple of anonymous developers have stated that the U is less powerful than the PS3 and 360 but I'm pretty sure it was a late April Fools joke yesterday lol ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
They missed April 1st by quite some margin if that's the case.

Tis all rumour and anonymous sources, as usual - but worrying nonetheless...

Offline jman

« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
Nah.. Im not buying that for a second... just a couple of fanboys trolling..  ;D

I downloaded South Park : Tenorman's Revenge, Daytona USA and You Monster DLC for Defense Grid the other night.. gonna give them a proper go later this week.. although first impressions of the south park game are not good... its funny.. but the gameplay is pretty bad.. and I heard it doesnt get any better... serves me right for not downloading the demo I guess..

Offline harv

« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
Retro have been snapping up developers from the now defunct Zipper Interactive and also Gearbox. That plus developers from Crytek and another developer known for mature titles whose name currently escapes me would point to a mature FPS/TPS title from them at some point imo. A mature FPS from Nintendo..? Bloody hell, given the quality of their first party offerings compared to both Sony and Microsoft we could very well end up seeing the best FPS game of all-time :o

Edit: Naughty Dog, knew it would come back to me eventually!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:44:52 PM by harv »

Offline styles

« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »
Harvs not a Nintendo fanboy!!!!

He's just misunderstood!

Seriously though harv... read this in an article about fanboyism... who on this forum do you think it describes the best...  ;D

Of course, real fanboys have grown out of ascribing anthropomorphic sexualities to inanimate gaming hardware. They've packed up their $ signs and clever rhyming puns featuring the word "gay" and moved into the comments threads about Serious Business, like quarterly financials and profit forecasts and corporate lawsuits and pixel shaders and alpha transparencies and shadow mapping and cabbages and kings.

Let's face facts - you don't know a damned thing about any of that stuff. Not really. You've read a few articles on the internet, and you've seen some phrases repeated often enough that you can blab them back out again like a parrot (possibly with some extra swearing added to show just how serious this all really is).

But if you really understood market economics, or corporate law, or modern graphics processing hardware... Well, you'd be earning a lot more money, you'd be able to afford to buy all the consoles you wanted, and you wouldn't have to engage in competitive online urination contests to prove the worthiness of your purchasing decisions.

The problem for the rest of us - the reason you're an annoyance, not just an amusement - is that you make so much bloody noise the games media, the whole conversation around games, ends up catering to you.

Lol
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2012, 12:52:29 AM »
And Vigil too, forgot about them. ;)

Not just me that thinks the U controller will be perfect for MMOs/MMORPGs 8)

Edit: Game have now been bought by OptCapita and they say that some of the people that were made redundant will be getting their jobs back. Good to hear, there's nothing more demoralising than being made redundant.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:48:37 PM by harv »

gldntrmite13

« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »
2 Major updates for Battlefield 3 came out yesterday.... cleaned up a few glitches and added custom servers etc....

Offline jman

« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »
Yup.. but you have to pay to play on the custom servers.. so its not free..... been like that on the PC for ages.. and its bollocks to be honest... one of the major reasons I loved BF2 so much was the ability to host private servers for free, create bots.. and all the rest... BF3 is a great game dont get me wrong... but I have hardly played it because multiplayer sucks compared to the possibilies you had in BF2..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:46:26 PM by jman »