https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662955 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #2745 on: May 16, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
I've read speculation that Microsoft are keen to announce before E3 because their E3 announcements usually get drowned out by other companies later that day, predominantly Sony. Microsoft announce some things, everyone gets excited, a couple of hours later Sony announce some things, everyone's excited, and most folk and journalists focus on the more recent stuff they heard. Whether there's any truth to that I have no idea. I'm certain they'll still have lots of big stuff to announce at E3 next month either way.

Expected E3 stuff:
Sony:
Morpheus VR
Uncharted 4
Gran Turismo 6 (ps4)
God of War 4
Syphon Filter reboot
WipEout
The Order 1886
The Last Of Us 2
Project Beast
Microsoft:
Ryse 2 (Middle-ages)
Forza Horizon 2
Halo 2: Anniversary
Halo TV
Halo 5
Perfect Dark reboot
Epic's unnamed Samaritan game.
EchoBlack (Kinect)
Gears of War
Fable Legends
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Nintendo:
Legend of Zelda (Wii U)
Castlevania (3DS)
Other (multiplatform):
GTA 5
Mass Effect 4
Deus Ex
Dishonored 2
Destiny
Star Wars: Battlefront 3
plus the usual annual games such as Fifa, COD, NFL, NHL, etc.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:17:25 PM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #2746 on: May 16, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »
Can feel an E3 thread coming on soon.. its always exciting stuff.... I've heard there is a small chance of hearing news regarding a Valve release - Left 4 Dead 3 or Half Life 3 - I know its bollocks but I get excited every year for the same fucking news  :(

Halo 2 Anniversary will be massive.. IF 343 keep the online mode untouched - I truly haven't played a better online FPS since... it will sell really well and will be a massive hardware seller too.. I'd fully expect it to have beta access to Halo 5 aswell to get even more punters in.

Plus I saw something about Platinum Games going into partnership with Microsoft to develop some games.. this is weird.. as I thought Platinum Games were a Nintendo 2nd party indie developer  ;D ;D  And for an "indie developer" they sure do release a lot of "mainstream" games.. (everything they have ever produced)

In terms of hardware.. Its been said that there will be a white version of the X1 / Controllers on show at E3 too  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:11:35 PM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #2747 on: May 16, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
The Division has been delayed into the 2015/2016 year.
Ubisoft seem to be struggling with deadlines lately. Everything they're making seems to be good - just a bit delayed. Which is probably a good thing, all in all - certainly beats bringing games out on time but with problems. (Are you listening, EA?)
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #2748 on: May 17, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »
There's no such thing as a second party indie developer. Platinum Games are an indie developer, full stop. ;)

And Nintendo have more than Zelda U and Castlevania to show at E3 too lol
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #2749 on: May 17, 2014, 02:35:02 AM »
Yeah, I should've been more clear there.
I meant to say those are the games that are likely to be revealed and that people might be interested in.
Of course that meant zero Nintendo games, so I put two in as a token gesture.

Offline harv

« Reply #2750 on: May 18, 2014, 10:28:04 PM »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #2751 on: May 19, 2014, 07:43:27 AM »
There's no such thing as a second party indie developer. Platinum Games are an indie developer, full stop. ;)

Glad to see you agree that Platinum Games are not a second party developer - hence making it impossible to make second party games  ;)

Wolfenstein out tomorrow, so I should get it then, but gameseek had 23rd down on their website, so might not get it until Friday..

Offline harv

« Reply #2752 on: May 19, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
I  didn't agree any such thing. ;)

Offline jman

« Reply #2753 on: May 19, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »
Got my dispatch email from Gameseek today so perhaps I will get Wolfy tomorrow.. surprised there are zero reviews posted so far for it.. kinda worries me a bit  :-\

Edit:

Few reviews popped up overnight.. averaging a 78 on metacritic at the moment.. which is not great.. I've read part of some reviews and they all say the gameplay is pretty good, especially the gunplay.. so if the reviews are going on opinions on the story and how gruesome and offensive the storyline is - I can put up with that.. there's never enough "true" 18 rated video games these days in my opinion.. whenever one that "truly" earns its 18 rating is released, it pretty much always splits opinions - GTA being the exception.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:58:38 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #2754 on: May 20, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
Whenever a game that is 'truly' an 18 rated game comes along it doesn't get released. And there has only been one game that fits that criteria so far, Manhunt 2, and the fuckers at the BBFC and ESRB completely ruined it by cutting it to pieces. Uncut it was one of the best games available last generation.

You see MUCH worse stuff on the big screen these days. >:( >:( >:(

Offline jman

« Reply #2755 on: May 20, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
So initial thoughts on Wolfenstein are mixed at the moment.. I've only played about 2-3 hours this evening though

It took me about an hour and a half to get through the epilogue type mission - which I have to say - was pretty uninspiring - the gunplay isn't as cracked up as some reviews suggest, but it takes you through all the basics and you get a good feel for the weapons and basic combat - the first hour of it was pretty dull and as generic as any other shooter... I was getting quite disappointed playing it... but then when you get near the end of the epilogue you storm some german castle (which was a nice reminder of the original) and it starts getting a bit better, the storyline kicks in and then you have to make a small game-changing decision at the start which is pretty cool... I definitely started warming to the game more and more after the epilogue... Like I said, the gunplay isn't what I was expecting, although you can duel-wield anything straight from the start.. knives, pistols, assaults rifles and even shotguns which is pretty nice.

The controls are somewhat fiddly to get used to, the graphics aren't the best in the world (but the pre-rendered cut-scenes scattered throughout are pretty good).. the storyline is just getting going for me and I'm enjoying it (I got as far as shagging some polish nurse on a train heading to Berlin - this is 15 years after the war ended and the Nazi's won, you've been stuck in hospital for that long with some kind of brain damage you suffered trying to escape that Nazi castle.. and have just awoken and haven't got a fucking scooby what's going on, except for saving this polish nurse bird.. who does you rodeo style)

There's opportunity to play the game stealthy or guns-blazing.. I'm not a big fan of stealth at the best of times, but its been limited so far and not that bothersome... the game warns you about parts which would be better to use stealth tactics quite subtly and it works quite well... of course its all optional though.. I've been mixing it up quite a bit..

The perk system is pretty good, one of those systems that makes you try different stuff/weapons to unlock various perks throughout the game.. I've unlocked a few so far and there are quite a few hidden collectibles.. but fortunately if you find the map in an area, they are all revealed on the map which is handy and something which will make me want to go back and pick up the bits I've missed throughout each section.  You can collect enigma papers and then play some kind of puzzle game once you've collected enough to unlock even more stuff/modes.. but I haven't tried that yet.

All in all - I'm looking forward to playing some more.. I just hope they can keep the storyline running at a nice pace and ensure there is quite a lot of variation in gameplay as the game is quite linear in terms of go here, do that (so far).

Edit:
And successfully registered for the Doom beta.. I'll be notified when its ready.. which could be anytime this or next year!  Wolfy takes a few bits from Doom like the health and armor stuff which is quite nice... I guess in a toss-up between Doom or Wolfy - Doom would have to win due to it's game quality consistency... although Wolfenstein 3D is up there with the first Doom game for me.. both as equally awesome!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:41:28 PM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #2756 on: May 21, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »
New trailer for Arkham Knight.

youtube

Looks fantastic. Not sure how much of that's actually gameplay, how much is cut scene, and how much is just a prerendered video clip made specifically as a trailer and not at all representative of the game at all. I suspect (and hope) it's all genuinely from the game, and if so they've definitely stepped up their game from the previous instalments.
It helps that the game is only coming to current gen, so they can focus properly on that and not be restricted by the xbox 360 and ps3 limitations.

Offline harv

« Reply #2757 on: May 21, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »
It's confirmed to be only coming to the PC, PS4 and One due to the extra grunt needed for the Batmobile.

Even if they decided to port it across it would be a nightmare to do due to the PS4 and One (and Wii U for that matter) being 'GPU heavy' and the PS3 and 360 being 'CPU heavy'. They can easily port from the PS3/360 to the PS4/One/Wii U because the current generation consoles are more powerful and are able to 'brute force' the code without much of a drop in performance. Basically they can do 'lazy ports' to the current generation consoles but not the other way around.

Offline harv

« Reply #2758 on: May 22, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »
Lol, Zenimax are now suing Oculus VR. VR shit just got real :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #2759 on: May 22, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »
"Facebook probably don't have much money, following their multi-billion dollar floatation.
Let's take them on. We'll win easily..."

- Zenimax