https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662908 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3240 on: June 09, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »
Minor teaser from the Mirror's Edge team:
twitter

EA have registered the domain mirrorsedgecatalyst.com, and the trademark "Mirrors Edge Catalyst"
neogaf

Whilst it might be a new pc/console game, popular opinion is that it'll probably be a mobile spinoff/companion app.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #3241 on: June 09, 2015, 10:05:53 AM »
Splatoon mod for Minecraft:
youtube
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3242 on: June 09, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »
Saw that the other day, very clever ;D

Hopefully there's going to be a Mirror's Edge sequel, and even more hopefully it's going to be 60fps. The first one REALLY needed to be 60fps. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #3243 on: June 11, 2015, 08:48:58 AM »
Been playing that Massive Chalice game for the past few days... its not bad, but feel like it could of been so much better.  It feels boring in places, the combat is too easy and its quite repetitive.

So I'm just over halfway through the 300-year war.. and OK, I fucked up a bit at the start with breeding my bloodlines - But I still have two of my starting bloodlines going - Entroh and Augen.  I love the concept of creating these bloodlines and marrying off regents with other people and creating children - but other than this - there is nothing else that really becomes of this.  Okay, yes the heir to the throne is passed down through generation, but by half-way through, I have a ton of Entroh children and adults and basically I'm picking the heir based on how horny (fertile) they are - there is nothing to micro-manage in the "keeps" (palaces) and because of this, the only time I hear from a regent is when I'm appointing them and when they die, you don't really care when your regents pass away - all they are, are baby machines to me.

The fighting (I heard its like XCom - although never played that) also gets a bit stale.  You get a battle every 15-20 years I'd say.. all my Entrohs are either Hunters, Enforcers or Trickshots..  the Hunter is the base class for all of these, so they all fight with a crossbow and wear the same armor.  Because the Entroh bloodline is so fucking massive, I'm finding myself filling my entire Vanguard with all Entroh's at times - which means going into battle with every soldier as the same base class.  I thought this would mean I'd get squashed in certain battles, but actually the battles are piss easy, and I've only lost one person in battle so far (the first battle - where I hadn't a scooby what the fuck was going on).  Basically if you go around the battlefield very slowly picking off monsters one by one - it takes a long time, but is so easy to win.  That in itself makes the battles a bit boring and they do feel dragged out.

Other than battles and people dying and being born, there are random events that happen frequently where you have to make a choice which could be good or bad.  Since these are all multiple choice questions and anything you pick could be bad or good.. I just find these annoying.

For a strategy game, I feel a bit let down, for a tactical turn-based game, I also feel let down.. if there was more micro-management of the kingdom (the good stuff) and less fighting (the boring stuff), this game could be really good... as it is, it just feels like half a game which is disappointing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:50:38 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #3244 on: June 15, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #3245 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:53 PM »
Amazing the difference a few years makes.
Arkham City runs fine on my (rather unspectacular in the eyes of proper pc gamers) pc with pretty much everything on ultra. Arkham Knight is a completely different kettle of fish, though.

Despite my "GeForce Experience" app thing telling me not to go above 1280x800 I tried on 1680x1050 (screen's native res). Made it nearly three seconds into the loading screen before it crashed with the most spectacularly lengthy error report I've ever seen. And that was with every option disabled.
Swallowed my pride and restarted in 1280x800. Again with everything turned off. I'm about an hour and a half in, now, and it's had no problems other than those you'd expect (i.e. low resolution, jagged edges, and a general lack of small items and lighting effects, etc.)
Still, I went into this knowing my pc was below minimum spec - before yesterday's revision and before the reports that good machines were suffering a lot of issues, so I'm pleased to have it running at all.

Even with everything turned off or set to minimum I can tell there's an absolutely stunning game here. It's still great fun to play, and I'm enjoying it immensely so far (the Batmobile is so many kinds of awesome). Will be happy to replay it in a few years when I have a better machine - but for now I've no complaints.
Sure, it would've run better on my xbox One. But if it's £23ish for the game and season pass on the pc (and if I revisit it in a couple of years' time it'll look better than ever) or £70ish for the game and season pass on the One I'm willing to take the lower performance now - especially as I needed to test my machine with something a bit more taxing than the stuff I've been playing on it to date.

All in all, quite a promising test for my computer. I've tested it with one of the most intensive games on the market, and it's scraped by. I'll be a lot more confident in buying (or avoiding, as the case may be) most other games I've got my eye on, now that I've measured it's abilities.

There might be something to this pc gaming lark after all...
(I'm still playing on my xbox 360 controller, mind. Baby steps - I ain't fully converting from console to pc that quickly. :p )

Offline harv

« Reply #3246 on: June 23, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »
Welcome to the PC master race lol ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3247 on: June 25, 2015, 11:52:48 PM »
Turns out that Arkham Knight for the PC was a piss poor port. Loads of complaints about it, so many in fact that Warner Bros has stopped selling the PC version on Steam :o

Expect a big patch at some point and improved performance.

Offline jman

« Reply #3248 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »
Was the same kinda thing with Arkham City though wasn't it... I don't think it was any secret to PC gamers that the PC version was going to be a console port.. they should of expected (purchasing the pc version) that something like this might happen given the poor history... although saying that.. don't think anyone would expect the quality to be so bad that you wouldn't be able to play the game  :-\

Poor show WB, poor show.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:56:56 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #3249 on: June 26, 2015, 08:44:12 AM »
The majority of PC games last generation were ports with the 360 being the lead platform. It isn't a problem if they do their jobs properly. Same goes for the Wii U too back in the days when developers actually worked on the console lol

Offline Late

« Reply #3250 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
I've had very few problems with the game, tbh - nothing beyond what I'd already expected from trying to run it on a pc that fell below the minimum spec.
I've had to reduce resolution to 1080x800 which was initially frustrating - until I remembered I've done most of my gaming in recent years on a console that's plugged into a 720p plasma, so this reduced resolution is better than I usually have. And to be fair, the graphics are pretty fantastic.
I've also had to disable every optional graphical component. With no anti-aliasing and no v-synch it sometimes gets a bit jaggy. Texture quality is set to low, and I've there's less litter blowing around in the streets, reduced light beam effects, etc. But I knew before I bought the game that I'd have to turn all that stuff off.
I've noticed the frame rate dipping a few times - mainly when I call the batmobile in. That's a little annoying, but (a) I anticipate that being improved in a patch, and (b) it's effectively a kind of cut-scene - you're not really doing much fighting when the camera pans right out to show the batmobile zooming into the battle you're in the middle of - so it doesn't actually affect you if the fps drops at that point. It just looks bad.

All in all I've no complaints. I wanted to put my pc through its paces and I'm now much more aware of its capabilities and its limitations. It plays better than expected a game that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for. Good result. I'm now going to be a lot more confident of my choices when buying (or avoiding) pc games.

Fantastic game, btw. Having recently replayed the first two Arkham games I can say this is the best of the trilogy.

Offline Late

« Reply #3251 on: June 28, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
Two free games per month instead of just one on the xbox One, from July onwards. Result.

Xbox One:
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (01/07/15-31/07/15)
So Many Me (16/07/15-15/08/15)

Xbox 360
Plants vs. Zombies (01/07/15-15/07/15)
Gears of War 3 (16/07/15-31/07/15)

Already have AC Black Flag (great game). So Many Me looks a decent little game.

Offline jman

« Reply #3252 on: June 30, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »
Result.. I haven't played either of them..

Although I have completely missed out Assassin's Creed 3... from what I've heard.. good old Desmond dies in AC3.. so I imagine AC4 carries on from there, so they can milk the fuck out of the franchise a bit more

So Many Me does look good.. cant beat a good puzzle platformer. 

I've been playing a bit of Pool Nation Fx recently.. was a free game a while back.. its pretty shit to be honest.. spent a few hours trying to get a 30 ball streak on the hardest mode on endurance the other day.. hit 47 and the achievement didn't unlock.. so not only is it a pretty shit game.. some of its achievements are bugged too.. I managed to get over 50% of them in a week.. so that will do me.

Offline jman

« Reply #3253 on: June 30, 2015, 12:43:27 PM »
Picking up a new hard drive tonight for the X1.

2tb Seagate Hard Drive - £59.99 from Argos (and Amazon).. but got about £10 of Nectar vouchers I can use with Argos and I can pick it up tonight so gone with Argos :D

Edit : Actually going to hold fire on this one.. reckon I can wait for a better deal.. Seagates don't have the best rep either.  Am on the lookout to buy one asap but I want a cheap one initially as I have financial priorities elsewhere for the next 2 months.. perhaps I can get a 1TB and then get another one later down the line.. think the X1 is capable of holding 2 external HDDs at the back

Late do you know if you delete a "free" game, whether you can re-download it again for free later on ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:21:15 PM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #3254 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:22 AM »
You should be able to, this is Microsoft we're talking about, not Nintendo lol :o ;D

Am getting used to my graphics tablet a lot more now. The secret to using a graphics tablet is to draw a line, have a look and if you don't think it's right undo and start again. It means that you end up drawing the same stuff over and over again but it gets results. Here's a preview of my latest t-shirt design:

I am of course taking the Lazy Bastard option. Am doing one side, copying it, pasting it in another document, doubling the size of the canvas, flipping it along the horizontal access and pasting it in again leaving one whole image. Might not do that with the two long tentacles of my squid to stop it looking too odd though lol :o ;D

When I'm feeling a bit more adventurous I'm going to try and draw Link from the Twilight Princess but I'm miles away from doing that yet I think. :-\