https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662611 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »
It's actually quite a big difference as it goes, around 2-3 times more powerful. The Xbox was quite a beast in its day. Hopefully the fact that the U is using traditional programable shaders will prevent the visual difference being so great. And it's looking like Microsoft have opted for having the CPU doing the grunt work for audio rather than having a DSP which is an odd decision given that they're not rushing the thing out of the door like the 360 was.  :-\ We're probably looking at a quad core with 4 SMTs per core too, and it would be a ridiculous decision to go for an IOE CPU again so I'd say it's a safe bet that Microsoft are opting for an OoOE CPU this time. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline bealec

« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
NO ONE UNDERSTANDS YOU!!!!

Offline styles

« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
Thanks to late and jman for the skyrim tips.

Thanks to late for making me pee myself laughing at harv. i did predict an epic fail didn't i?!!
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2012, 01:21:58 AM »
NO ONE UNDERSTANDS YOU!!!!

The CPUs in the PS3 and 360 are In Order Execution. This means that there's a stack of processes waiting to be executed. If the first process in the stack takes too long to be run in the current process cycle the CPU remains idle and waits for the next cycle to begin so it can be checked again, and carries on being idle until there's enough time to run the process.

The CPUs in the Gamecube, the Wii and the Wii U are Out of Order Execution. There's a stack of processes as in the example above but this time, due to it being OoOE, if there isn't enough time to run the first process in the stack the CPU looks at the next process in the stack and the following processes until it finds a process that can be run before the next cycle begins. This means the CPU spends less time being idle and is a great deal more efficient. Because of this OoOE CPUs are faster than IOE CPUs, and are better suited to gaming.

SMT stands for Simultaneous Multi Threading, the number of SMTs per core in a CPU tells you how many processes the CPU can do at the same time (although strictly speaking it isn't actually simultaneous but that's a longer and more complex explanation lol).

A DSP is a Digital Signal Processor which is a chip dedicated solely to handle audio. Again, the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U all have DSPs. The 360 and PS3 don't, which means that the grunt work is done by the CPU. Microsoft lock 1 thread out of 6 to handle audio, but because sound is so important (you see graphics messing up all the time and you don't register it but if the sound of a game isn't perfect you can't help but notice it...that's why sound in games rarely cocks up!) developers often use half of the 360's processing power (3 out of 6 threads) to deal with sound. Because the U has a DSP the U's CPU doesn't have to handle sound, so it has 16.6% more power at least before a line of code has been written.

In a lot of ways the Gamecube was ahead of it's time, and in some ways it was completely backwards lol, although I never owned one because I've always favoured Sony consoles over Nintendo ones. That's beginning to change now though.

There you go, you should understand what I'm talking about now. 8)

Edit: It should also be noted that the 360's lack of a DSP could be the reason why those anonymous developers claimed that the CPU of the U wasn't up to snuff - the silly sods probably ported it straight across using the CPU to sort out the audio without using the DSP. ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:19:31 AM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2012, 04:39:20 AM »
What I find quite funny is, in one post, Harv will go on about how we don't know much about the next breed of consoles, so we can't possibly make accurate conclusions, then in the next post, he'll waffle on like a jargon-fuelled woodchipper and spit out details left, right and centre as if they're concrete, and if they're specifications that make the U seem more powerful, it's obviously not gospel anymore and MUST be legit because we all know the U will wipe your arse and cook you dinner!

Offline harv

« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2012, 07:37:31 AM »
The only thing I've said that's impossible is for the difference in power between the U and PS4/720 to be anywhere near the difference in power between the Wii and the PS3/360. The hardware simply doesn't exist.

You'd be more than welcome to join in a next gen tech discussion, but you should remember that I've seen the targeted specs for all 3 consoles that are given to developers from a good source ;)

I can't give you any details but it's safe to say that all 3 consoles are in the same sort of ballpark in terms of power and the U is the least powerful of the 3. We'll end up seeing the other two consoles being at least 2 or 3 times more powerful. I have my doubts that all 3 console's GPUs will be clocked as high as the target specs though unless all 3 platform holders want people frying eggs on them lol.

The PS4 and 720 have the advantage, due to them releasing later than the U, of having their GPUs on a 28nm process whereas it's likely that the U's GPU will be on a 32nm process. The smaller the process for a chip, the cooler it will run so they can safely up the clockspeed without things overheating.

Online jman

« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
What I find quite funny is, in one post, Harv will go on about how we don't know much about the next breed of consoles, so we can't possibly make accurate conclusions, then in the next post, he'll waffle on like a jargon-fuelled woodchipper and spit out details left, right and centre as if they're concrete, and if they're specifications that make the U seem more powerful, it's obviously not gospel anymore and MUST be legit because we all know the U will wipe your arse and cook you dinner!

Yes its called trolling...  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
Not trolling at all, just pointing out leaks from journalists with sources, ex-journalists with sources and developers that have been working with the dev kits and U SDK. These leaks are from verified sources. I've also mentioned hands-on reports too.

Just relaying information and giving my opinion on the hardware of all 3 next gen consoles based on information I've received. Those target specs may change for the better but imo both Sony and Microsoft are going to want to keep production and retail costs down, particularly with the U having a years head start in terms of marketshare. Nintendo finally using a GPU with traditional programable shaders is a very big deal and because of that the U is guaranteed a SKU of all next gen multiplatform titles, albeit with a graphical downgrade, one very important thing that the Wii has missed out on this gen. I've seen quite a lot of people considering just having a U and a PC to take care of their gaming needs next gen on a fair few other forums I frequent. :o

Online jman

« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
Yawn...

We should all play a drinking game...

Next time harv uses any of these phrases, we all have to down a shot... and then punch harv square on in the face..

"Wii U SKU is going to be the best of the lot"
"These leaks are from verfied sources"
"Looks like I may be right about the U"
"The Wii U controller is going to be perfect to use for.."

(Feel free to add your own!)

Offline harv

« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »
The only game so far that has the U SKU being confirmed as the best of the lot is Aliens Colonial Marines, and that's straight from the horse's mouth :P The U controller is perfect for a motion detection device :P 8)

Gearbox are quite hyped up for the U version, although to be fair the lighting on both the PS3 and 360 SKUs are impressive. ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
The 360 and ps3 versions will have alien xenomorphs coming out of the walls, and the U version will have horsies?
No wonder you've got a boner for that version.

I might've only skim-read your post...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
Wish it did. I've still got the right hump about Skyrim not having mounted combat. It's not as if it's impossible to do, Mount and Blade did it without a problem.

I've wanted someone for bloody years to remake Defender of The Crown, the jousting was excellent. Mount and Blade has the rest of it, mass battkes, laying seige to and attacking castles and forts but is missing jousting tournaments. >:(

That game was excellent ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »
Bloody Windows Vista keeps on messing about with my screen display after updating. Doesn't do it all the time but it's bloody annoying >:( Mind you, I do have the settings at a level my telly isn't supposed to be able to handle (1080p at 24Hz, 50 and 60 is for wimps lol) so I guess Windows is attempting to save my telly from blowing up lololol. :P

Offline styles

« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
Yawn...

We should all play a drinking game...

Next time harv uses any of these phrases, we all have to down a shot... and then punch harv square on in the face..

"Wii U SKU is going to be the best of the lot"
"These leaks are from verfied sources"
"Looks like I may be right about the U"
"The Wii U controller is going to be perfect to use for.."

(Feel free to add your own!)

lol, that's my favourite
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Online jman

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
You were only ahead of me on a couple of levels.

Bollocks mate.. I checked the other day... Im beating you on nearly all of the modes (I've attempted) on all of the stages (I've attempted) ;D

Its just story mode that you are beating me on.... and thats only because I havent played it since the update... lol  (some of my scores seem to of disappeared though.. I have medals on some stages with no score attached to them ??? )

I only just finished the first level of the DLC the other day - took a while to get back into it, had to replay it about 6/7 times to do it without losing a core... but the next level looks hard!!!  Enjoying playing it again.. but probably wont get another good go on it until sunday night now..