https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663088 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3405 on: January 16, 2016, 11:55:37 PM »
lol ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #3406 on: January 18, 2016, 01:29:56 AM »
If the NX has VR support surely you'll be getting that, Harv.

My taxes increased recently, so it probably means you're getting some new toy soon.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3407 on: January 18, 2016, 08:06:51 AM »
They probably said the same about the Wii and motion controls.  ;)

No.. that's what harv said about motion controls... he'd never go back to normal controls again... yet he's plumping for the VR kit that comes bundled with an XBOX ONE CONTROLLER... hah.. gotta love that!

If the NX has VR support surely you'll be getting that, Harv.

My taxes increased recently, so it probably means you're getting some new toy soon.

lol.. but he's saved for 2 years for this stuff.. god knows why he doesn't just do some guaranteed NO LOSE bonus bagging/gambling with his benefits... he'll of had the money in no time at all..   You'd think in all seriousness.. that someone in harv's position - given a grand.. would have more important things to spend it on than a GPU and VR Helmet.. and in terms of value for money and depreciation.. gaming is always a raw deal...  less than a year of the X1's launch for example... it was given a massive old price cut and 6 months later a big increase in storage space with even more cuts.

Offline harv

« Reply #3408 on: January 18, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
I already said I won't be getting a Nintendo console for the first time in two generations unless it has VR.

As for 'more important things', yes there are plenty. But VR gaming is going to be the dog's bollocks. 8)

And yes, I could be doing some more bonus bagging but I've pretty much run out of reputable bookies now lol ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #3409 on: January 21, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
But VR gaming is going to be the dog's bollocks. 8)

Is that the same dogs bollocks that motion controls were... and the same dogs bollocks that 3D TV's were? 

At the end of the day, these things failed because 1) people just want to play games normally.. and 2) people just want to watch TV normally.  You could argue that motion controls didn't fail because of the sales of the Wii and the re-introduction of VR... but ultimately it was a fad that didn't last very long... as evidenced by the quick demise of the Wii, the poor sales of PS Move and the complete failure of Kinect.

Can't help but feel like early adopters of VR are just wasting their money for the exact same reason... the tech will struggle to go mainstream.. and if it does, the early hardware is going to be pants compared to what other manufacturers produce a few years down the line

Offline harv

« Reply #3410 on: January 21, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »
PSVR will end up being the VR choice for the mainstream. And the comparison with 3D television that people keep on coming up with is completely ridiculous. A normal telly is 2D, a 3DTV is effectively 2.5D and VR is true 3D.

And yes, of course it's going to be expensive to begin with, but as time goes on the technology will get better and cheaper. And everyone will end up with VR being the center of not only entertainment but also with training and education. VR is going to be HUGE, that's why Facebook spent $2bn on it

Offline jman

« Reply #3411 on: January 23, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »
I'm not comparing the tech to 3Dtvs, but people's adoption of it... No-one wants to wear stupid glasses to watch TV... Just like, if you want to play a game, no-one would necessarily want to wear stupid goggles which is why VR could run out of steam after a few years.

So what Facebook are onboard, how much money did Toshiba and Microsoft lose on hd-dvd?

Offline harv

« Reply #3412 on: January 23, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »
People will have no problems wearing goggles to play games once they realise how good it is. I've seen someone on another forum I frequent saying that after selling his DK2 he tried playing a flight simulation on his monitor and it made him want to read a book instead lmfao :o ;D ;D ;D

All Oculus and HTC need to do is set up demo stations in shopping centres and malls for people to try out and they'll sell an absolute shitload. Playing something like Elite Dangerous, War Thunder, Project CARS or Assetto Corsa is enough to convert ANYONE to VR gaming by all accounts.

Bought myself a Thundermaster Flight-T X HOTAS the other day, got it delivered yesterday. Only £27.99 on Amazon, got it for 15% off via Flubit so only paid £23.81. Am now ready for flight/space sim goodness in VR as far as the controller goes, just got to get a Polaris/Pascal GPU and an Oculus Rift and I'm all set.

And once I've got that all sorted out I'm going to get myself a steering wheel controller and build myself a mount for it out of PVC piping next year.

Offline harv

« Reply #3413 on: January 24, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
Fucking hell, weird how gaming goes sometimes. Yesterday I couldn't hit a barn fucking door in my Vulture and got my ship blown to smithereens several times over. Tonight I've been flying like Han fucking Solo lol. I've been bounty hunting in a Resource Extraction Site, which is basically where players and NPCs mine for goodies in the asteroids that make up the rings in gas giants. I was nipping between asteroids at high speed and didn't even scratch the paint on my ship lmfao :o ;D ;D ;D

Just collected 1.6m in bounties 8)

Definitely getting used to my HOTAS now, I'm still not quite as good as I was with my mouse and keyboard but I'm getting there. 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3414 on: January 28, 2016, 10:34:39 PM »
NASA are working on a VR experience on Mars with the Unreal Engine. Awesome fucking sauce 8)

Wonder if we'll see any Markers..? :o ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #3415 on: January 29, 2016, 03:23:38 PM »
Who needs VR ? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSEhzwGohU lol

One thing that VR is going to suck at.. is third person perspective games.. games like tomb raider, etc.  The mechanics just won't work... playing as a third person.. in a 1st person view.. as the third person.. its like a fucked up version of the matrix!

Offline harv

« Reply #3416 on: January 29, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
Third person games work pretty well surprisingly. Edge Of Nowhere is a third person game, as is Chronos and Lucky's Tale.

First person perspective games can cause some people to have simulation sickness, but I'm hoping that this isn't going to stop developers from releasing first person perspective games. Oculus are going to have a 'Comfort' rating apparently. All horror/suspense/thriller games will HAVE to be in first person for my money.

I've also got doubts about HTC's Room-Scale VR. Sounds great...but once you've moved your protagonist by walking across your room...how the fuck are they going to carry on moving..? They'll have to turn around and walk back again, which will break the feeling of presence, surely..? And there'll be a risk of people tripping up over their cables lol :o ;D ;D ;D

I'm REALLY hoping that developers are going to continue to cater for those of us who are immune or have a high resistance to simulation sickness.

Offline Late

« Reply #3417 on: January 30, 2016, 11:16:28 AM »
Thoroughly enjoying the Rare Replay collection... Damn but games were hard back in the day, though. Most are pretty much impossible without cheat modes activated.
Have been working my way through them in order, but I'm not picking up all that many achievements. I see little appeal in doing unnecessary and daft things in those games just to get some gamerscore.

Couldn't get into The Escapists. I kept finding myself with a stockpile of hundreds of fairly pointless things, and no real escape plan. I'm guessing I'm in prison because of my kleptomania.

Am also enjoying The Division beta. Wasn't really all that interested in the game before but tempted to buy it now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:37:06 PM by Late »
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #3418 on: February 01, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
Rather disappointed by Zombi. It was the one game that most tempted me to buy a Wii U so I was pleased when it came to the Xbox One. But it's nowhere near as good as I'd been lead to believe.
The map is incredibly restrictive and linear, there are hardly any zombies, there's barely any different zombies (there's about 10 skins total), there is a massive excess of ammo and health kits, the lighting effects are weak, the graphics look like early xb360, and mirrors don't reflect.
It's also ridiculously easy, from what I've seen so far (I believe I'm approx half way through it). I've been killed twice so far, and in both instances it was me accidentally dropping a claymore at my own feet. The zombies are no threat. Avoid picking up explosive ordnance and you can breeze through the game.

Offline harv

« Reply #3419 on: February 01, 2016, 05:21:19 PM »
Unfortunately Ubisoft patched the difficulty out of it, when it first released it was difficult to kill one zombie let alone three or four, and ammo and resources were REALLY scarce. And as the gameplay centres around the second screen you're not going to get the same experience without it. You really need to play the unpatched Wii U version to appreciate it properly. When it first released it was the first PROPER survival horror game released in donkey's years.

So much for me paying off my credit card in preparation for getting my monster GPU in the Summer. I bought a Thrustmaster T150 still sealed in its box for 90 quid last night lol :o ;D

It's £109.99 normally, if I had gone for Flubit I would have got 15% off at best so I've saved myself a few quid. I'm going to be building myself a DIY steering wheel stand from PVC waste pipes and a shelf that I haven't used, shouldn't cost me more than 20 quid I reckon.

Kev owes me a few quid and should be paying me in the next month or so, so that's the price of that taken care of.