https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662565 times)

Online jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3420 on: February 01, 2016, 07:27:58 PM »
Thoroughly enjoying the Rare Replay collection... Damn but games were hard back in the day, though. Most are pretty much impossible without cheat modes activated.
Have been working my way through them in order, but I'm not picking up all that many achievements. I see little appeal in doing unnecessary and daft things in those games just to get some gamerscore.

Tell me about it.. have you completed Battletoads yet.. just try doing that without the rewind.. it's a complete bastard of a game!  Oh I liked getting the achievements.. especially in the older games.. the challenges which have to be done without rewind were probably my favourite part.. but it is a bit annoying they locked some of the bonus videos and stuff behind the achievement system.  Also Viva Pinata was unexpectedly good.. I will go back to it at some point - I haven't played Kameo yet and didn't get very far through Viva Pinata 2 before I got distracted.

Couldn't get into The Escapists. I kept finding myself with a stockpile of hundreds of fairly pointless things, and no real escape plan. I'm guessing I'm in prison because of my kleptomania.

Yep.. I never finished it.. got to the 4th prison I think.. I got fucked off with the fact that there is a linear path to escaping each individual prison and it became more of a trial and error game.. which just became really frustrating.. and completely different to what you are lead to believe the game is about..

Rather disappointed by Zombi. It was the one game that most tempted me to buy a Wii U so I was pleased when it came to the Xbox One. But it's nowhere near as good as I'd been lead to believe.

LOL.. This was the seminal Wii U game according to harv... please tell me you didn't buy into his BS.. :P

Offline Late

« Reply #3421 on: February 01, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »
I fear I may have, slightly. It's not completely awful, mind. Just very run of the mill. The sort of game you'd pay a tenner for. Not £250, as he's now suggesting.

In Rare Replay I'm up to a skiing one and got bored. Will go back to it soon.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3422 on: February 02, 2016, 12:11:08 AM »
Like I've said before, it's not going to work without the second screen. That's where a lot of the stress and tension comes from. The game was quite difficult when it was first released. Very much like the original Resident Evil game you couldn't afford to waste any ammo, and you ended up dying. A lot. lol

It was rough around the edges, being a launch title and all, but it was a fantastic game. Especially if you're a nutjob like me and turned off the crosshairs and aim-assist lmfao :o ;D ;D ;D

A lot of people found it too difficult so Ubisoft patched in a shitload of ammo and resources. :(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Online jman

« Reply #3423 on: February 02, 2016, 08:08:54 AM »
Rough around the edges.. lol.. I remember you distinctly hailing the "eye-candy" in the game as some of the best you'd seen..

How did gameplay centre around the second screen.. if I remember rightly, its used only when you are rummaging through your backpack and as a map for the rest of the time.. hardly game breaking not having it there.  Instead of re-tooling the multiplayer component of the game.. Ubisoft got rid of it altogether.. that should of had the biggest impact.. (unless Ubisoft realised it was not worth their effort).  Metacritic only scores the X1 version 5 points less than the Wii U version, so your argument doesn't stack up. (cue harv's excuse about launch games scoring less than they should)...

Let's face facts for a second.... its always been a middle-of-the-road game that you hyped up to cover up the disappointment you must of had buying a launch Wii U.  And talking about the Wii U.. apart from getting Xenoblade (which I will admit - is the only 3rd party game worth its salt on that console).. you haven't mentioned it for a long time.. I can only presume its because you are now bored of the console.

In Rare Replay I'm up to a skiing one and got bored. Will go back to it soon.

Its not the best one that.. I had to use rewind quite a lot to get through that game... I enjoyed the Pro Am games.. and Atic Atac, Sabre Wulf and the Jetpac games (with the exception of Solar Jetman).  Blast Corps, the Banjo games and both Viva Pinatas are probably my favourite (newer) games on the list.. I never played Conkers Bad Fur Day back in the day.. but it really hasn't aged well.

Offline harv

« Reply #3424 on: February 02, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
Like I've said before, the mechanic of rummaging in your backpack and picking locks on a separate screen creates stress and tension, as did the fact that a single zombie was VERY dangerous. You have to flick your gaze from the second screen to the telly screen. I've never played a game with more stress and tension, the Nursery in particular had a great deal of people shitting themselves early on before Ubisoft ruined the game.

And it the lighting and shadows and level design that I was hailing as top notch.

And, again, they had to leave out the multiplayer because you needed a second screen for one of the players to make it possible.

As for third party games, Xenoblade Chronicles X is a first party game. If you want to talk about third party games that are worth their salt then how about Rayman Legends, Lego City Undercover, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate..? Some of those are by indie developers but published by Nintendo but should be included as third party titles because they haven't been developed by a first or second party developer. Rayman Legends and Deus Ex in particular are miles better on the Wii U thanks to the GamePad.

I'm doing the vast majority of gaming on my PC now that I've built a new one, a great deal of my time is being taken up by Elite Dangerous. And like I've also said before once I get my Rift/Vive in November all consoles are going to be dead to me, I won't be getting a Nintendo console for the first time in 2 generations. Once you go VR you never go back lol ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #3425 on: February 02, 2016, 06:34:07 PM »
On the One you bring up the second screen by holding a button. As you can't move around while using it its effectively the same as physically holding the second screen.
At no point has there ever been a scare whilst rummaging through the backpack. Tbh you never really need to look in it, though. You're tooled up with a cricket bat and there's rarely more than one or two zombies in a room, and they move too slowly to touch you (and would have to hit you about ten times to kill you). Why open your backpack?
On the rare occasion I do open it, though, it's when I know there are no zombies around. Since you can see them a mile off and you have a permanent radar pinging anything that moves it's impossible to get surprised by an npc.

Level design is okay for a game with such small set areas, but all in all is one of the weakest parts of a game that has a great many weak parts. Why isn't it open world? It should at the very least have several choices in routes you take. Way too linear for my taste.

Lighting is pretty dire. Everywhere is either brightly lit or pitch black. Walk down a corridor between those extremes and its not a gradual thing - you're in light then you're in darkness. But it doesn't matter because you have a torch that you just leave turned on all the time. (You'll occasionally need to stand still somewhere for a minute to let it recharge, but that's fine as you can do it anywhere. It can be pitch black when your torch runs out but if you just stand still when it does you'll be perfectly fine until it recharges.)

It's the lack of skins that really irritates me though. I've killed the same six or seven zombies twenty times each, and each in the exact same way. No matter where you hit them, the top right of their head always goes on the first hit, whether you're using melee weapon, crossbow, gun, whatever, then nothing changes on the next five hits, then their head explodes on the seventh.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:16:43 PM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Online jman

« Reply #3426 on: February 03, 2016, 10:00:40 AM »
Heh.. that sounds more like it... like I said.. the X1 version only scored 5 less than the Wii U version.. so there can't be too much difference..

I've finally started playing Civilisation: Beyond Earth.. which I got at release over 15 months ago... took a deep breath and ploughed into it.. started playing a marathon game on the easiest setting (Sputnik) with only a few other computer controlled civs - just to get a feel of it - and now I'm nearing the end game (as usual I've resorted to obliterating everyone) - I found that I enjoyed the playthrough - even though it was REALLY easy... it has some really nice features and gameplay nuances that make it feel rather different to Civ 5 - but it is important to remember that different does not mean better.. Civ 5 is still the champion here.. and I'm still not 100% totally onboard with the alien setting BE gives you.

Online jman

« Reply #3427 on: February 05, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »
Just pre-ordered Far Cry Primal - coming out on the 28th Feb.. looking forward to it.. even if I know it's literally going to be a re-skin of FC4.. there's no way they can turn-around a complete new game that quickly.. but I did really enjoy FC4 and the stone-age setting looks good.

Also saw that Doom got a release date of 13th May.. which is VERY exciting news.. along with a few others its one I'm looking forward to the most  8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3428 on: February 05, 2016, 06:57:21 PM »
Got my Thrustmaster T150 delivered today, tried it with Project CARS and it works great...or at least will do once I build my steering wheel mount. At the moment I'm playing it sat on a book on my lap and the thing is moving around all over the place lmfao :o ;D

And not having driven a car before I'm a bit confused by the pedals...there isn't a clutch so you've just got a brake and accelerator, but I thought the brake is the pedal on the left and the accelerator is on the right..? Jumped into a kart for my first go and it's the other way around. :-\

Have I got that wrong or are karts done differently..? Or maybe cars and karts in the States..? :o :-\

Am going to get the bits and pieces for my steering wheel mount from Wickes tomorrow, should cost around 15 quid. 2 x 32mm 2m waste pipe, 4 x 90 degrees corners, 2 x tee junctions and 4 x L braces. Have an old shelf that I can use so don't have to buy any wood.

Going to do a loop with one end of the loop going under my sofa, the 2 tee junctions pointing upwards and then use the L braces to connect the shelf either side outside my knees:

Code: [Select]
[ o              o ] T junctions pointing upwards with shelf on top
[                     ]
[                     ] Under sofa
--------------------

Offline harv

« Reply #3429 on: February 05, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »
Just done a Google search and I was right about the pedals lol, think I might have changed one of the options at some point so that it thinks I only have one pedal, the brake, so that the brake is both the accelerator and the brake lol.

Also having a problem quitting Project CARS for some reason. Have to do it via Task Manager and my wallpaper and window's colour settings have gone back to the default. :-\

Offline harv

« Reply #3430 on: February 10, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
Hmmm, interesting news on the game engine front. Amazon have done a deal with Crytek and have released a game engine called Lumberyard for free. I've always been a fan of the CryEngine and it's looking like we're going to see some nice looking games being released with this engine. It's basically the CryEngine that has Amazon Web Services duct-taped onto it. Developers can use it for free to create single player games but when using AWS stuff like online multiplayer and Twitch services they pay a fee on a 'pay as you go' basis.

No flat out fee or subscription fee for the engine, no royalties to pay. You probably have to have your game available on sale on Amazon but you can have it for sale anywhere else you want.

Going to have a look at it tomorrow and see how easy it is to work with. 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3431 on: February 11, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
Someone spotted this in the Lumberyard ToS:

57.10 Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.

:o ;D ;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3432 on: February 13, 2016, 06:54:39 PM »
Am struggling with Project CARS a bit. Probably because it's a proper car simulation rather than a bog standard driving video game. In bog standard driving games I always put the 'pedal to the metal' and take my thumb or finger off slightly to slow down and take turns, I don't normally go near the brake...I usually bash into the side of other cars on corners if I need to slow down faster lol :o ;D I also tend to have Automatic gears too to make things easier. :-[

Tried all that in Project CARS and it didn't end well. :o ;D ;D ;D

And I can't play with Automatic gears either, when you leave the track there's no way to put it in reverse gear so once you're off you stay off lololol ;D

Am slowly getting used to playing it properly now though, although I'm still coming in 12th every time but I was only 6 seconds behind 11th place in the last.game I played just now :-[ ;D

Online jman

« Reply #3433 on: February 16, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
Just admit it harv.. you're just crap at driving games... can you actually drive a car (have a licence?)  If there's no way to put it into reverse with automatic.. it sounds like a crap game lol.

Realised Far Cry Primal is out on the 23rd.. not the 28th.. GAME just emailed telling me they were taking the money tomorrow... looks like I'll be getting my cave-man on in a week then  ;D ;D

Just had to replace the CPU fan in my PC - bought a flipping huge bugger (an Arctic Freezer) - literally about 5 or 6 times bigger than the stock fan I had in.. lol... just about fitted in my case...  Basically my CPU was hitting highs of 80 before switching itself off whilst I was playing Civilisation and it was doing my head in.  Replaced the fan last week and now it barely reaches 60c at 6x less the speed.. you can hardly hear it  ;D

Anyway, started the 4th game of Civ.. doing each of the difficulty levels in order.. so now I'm on Hard.. and its definitely more challenging but that's not saying much... as with all the Civ games.. the AI doesn't get any better with the difficulty levels.. it just cheats more lol - I'm finding Beyond Earth far easier than Civ5 - they really need a new aggression and diplomacy engine for Civ 6 IMO.

Offline harv

« Reply #3434 on: February 16, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »
My first paragraph says that I'm crap at driving games lol ;D

I tried driving a normal car last night which is MUCH easier. I ended up in 6th place out of 10 drivers. Karts have a ridiculous amount of oversteer which I'm struggling to cope with.

I think that problem with not being able to put the kart in reverse may have been a bug, but I decided to try playing with manual gears seeing as it's a simulation game. Might as well do these things properly lol ;D