https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662762 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3435 on: February 17, 2016, 10:10:25 PM »
Still haven't got much of a clue about changing gears. I've worked out when to change up just by the noise that the engine makes lol, but have no idea about when you're supposed to change down. I guess you change down when going uphill or when turning a sharp corner..? :-\ ???

I've also worked out that you have to take your foot off the accelerator when changing down to stop blowing your engine lmfao :o ;D

Arcade driving games are much easier than driving sims lol

Any tips regarding gears and driving and stuff..? I don't know what the fuck I'm doing!!! :P

Finished 7th out of 12 last night so I'm getting better lololol ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #3436 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:50 PM »
Is there a practice area with a long straight you can practice on, and do you have a rev counter on the screen?

If so, as a general rule while you're learning the ropes, shift up when it gets about three quarters of the way to the red zone (maybe 5000 revs or 7000 revs - depends entirely on the vehicle and it's engine).
That figure is completely variable, depending on the vehicle. You can increase it significantly if you're in a high performance vehicle. If there's a way of testing your time to get from 0-60 or 0-100, or perhaps over a set distance (quarter mile perhaps) run it a few times with the gear shift at 5000 rpm then a few times at 7000 - see which one gives you the fastest time. Tweak it from there.

After a while you'll know when to shift up by sound - which is imperative, as you can't really be watching the rev counter in a real race. You're only watching it now while you get to grips with things.
It also seems pretty obvious but it's worth saying - you'll only ever shift up when you're accelerating. Take your foot off the gas while you make the gear change (leaving the gas on while you're in between gears just revs the shit out of your engine, overheats it, and uses fuel without any power going from the engine to the wheels).
Once you have shifted up and put the gas back on you'll effectively be going at the same speed you were before the gear shift, but at lower revs - meaning your new acceleration will be better than it was when you were in the lower gear (torque has increased).

Similarly, you need to downshift when you're decelerating. (You'll never shift down when accelerating hard - save that shit for Chase HQ and Outrun).
If you're decelerating and your revs drop below around 3000 shift down.
The reason for changing down a gear (or two) is really just forward planning. You know you'll need to accelerate in a second or two, once you get past the corner you're on, and whilst you can accelerate from a slow speed when your engine is in a high gear and at low revs, it'll be a tortuously slow affair. If you want to accelerate out of this corner you want to ensure your vehicle is in a lower gear and revving around 3000 (that figure again is variable).
Again, you'll eventually do this by the sound of the engine, but while you're learning the ropes use your rev counter religiously.

As I say, get some practice in on a long straight stretch of a training course. Tell yourself you'll spend a couple of days learning to drive and avoid races.When you go back to racing in a couple of days' time you'll be in a much stronger position.

Do you know about apex cornering (going wide before a corner, cutting in at the right moment, going wide after the corner)? It's an essential skill for maximising speed over a distance, and something else you'll want to practice before racing, but for now just focus on working out the best time to change up gears, and then on working out the best time to shift down.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:39:56 PM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3437 on: February 18, 2016, 08:48:47 PM »
Yup, I know about apex cornering, I do that when playing arcade racers. I also know when to change up, it's changing down that I was struggling with.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #3438 on: February 22, 2016, 09:27:01 AM »
Started playing Hand of Fate at the weekend - its one of the free GWG this month.. its actually pretty enjoyable!! 

I'm not a massive fan of "card-deck" type games.. but it seamlessly blends in RPG elements and 3rd person fighting and it turns it into something completely unique.  If you ever played any of Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy books (or the like)  - then that's how it feels to play Hand of Fate - which is fucking awesome - I used to love those kind of books.

Unfortunately there are a few niggles - firstly I think the load times between card play and fighting take too long (its about 10 seconds).. and it kinda breaks the immersion factor for me.  Also the fighting is fairly bog standard and pretty easy.. I haven't even come close to dying once and I'm nearly half way through the whole thing.  Other than though - its a great little time waster.. and I'm looking forward to playing it more  ;D

Edit:  I take it back about the difficulty of the game.. playing for ages last night on one of the later levels.. took me an absolute age to complete - I died about 8 or 9 times on that level alone.. although I would also throw another niggle into the pot - the frame-rate can be pretty awful in some fights when there is a lot going on
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:07:20 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #3439 on: February 22, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
HTC have announced the price of the Vive, $799. That's a hundred dollars cheaper than I thought it would be. Two games bundled in too, Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption, neither of which I have any interest in. Even if they were packing in a couple of games I want I'd still be opting in for a Rift instead, for several reasons:

1) The Vive is too rich for my blood. If I get a Rift I can spread the cost of the motion controllers, getting them at a later date. £689 is too much in one go.

2) Setting up the Lighthouses is going to be a pain in the arse, I'm going to have to start drilling holes and mounting them rather than plonking a camera down on my desk.

3) I don't have enough room for Room Scale VR.

4) I prefer the design and functionality of the Touch controllers compared to the Vive controllers.

5) The Rift is going to have more developer support due to developers having access to Rift devkits for 3 years. HTC haven't made enough effort to get devkits out. They shipped just 7000 at the start of this year, Oculus must have shipped over 300,000 by now. :o

Going to be interesting to see how much Oculus are going to sell their Touch controllers for. $200 would make the complete Rift setup the same price as the Vive.

Offline Late

« Reply #3440 on: February 22, 2016, 08:11:27 PM »
I won't be buying either, because I have a family and a mortgage and bills to pay, and a job that probably doesn't pay me much more than dole-wallahs get.

Basically, I'm a mug, from the perspective of a large portion of the UK.

(Fortunately they're a portion whose opinion means slightly less than fuck all, to me.)
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3441 on: February 22, 2016, 08:46:25 PM »
Lol, it's not as if I have loads of money. I've been saving for VR for quite some time now and have had birthday and Christmas cash from my Mum contributing to these things. I've also cut down on my Diet Cherry Coke, don't drink, don't smoke and have cut down on how much money I'm spending on food.

As for your wife and family, throw them out of the house and get yourself a Rift. Job done :P

You've already got a PC capable of Riftness so you're halfway there. 8)

Offline jman

« Reply #3442 on: February 23, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »
Two games bundled in too, Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption, neither of which I have any interest in.

You don't have any interest in a game called Job Simulator?  No shit Sherlock!!  ;D ;D 
Even in a VR world - you can't get him to go to work  ;D ;D

Although I imagine, if you were to play it and simulate your job...you'd just see yourself.. sitting on a sofa.. playing on his VR machine... it'd be some kind of fucked up Inception/Matrix infinity loophole..  8) ;D

I wouldn't worry Late.. VR tech is either going to take off - and the tech will be better, cheaper and more convenient for people to buy in a few years time.. or its going to be an abject failure and completely disappear again just like it did in the 80s.  If I wanted to get one of the systems I could.. ( I have no mortgage or kids ;) ) .. but I'd like to see which way the tech goes first - plus I'm really not excited by any of it at the moment. 

The Rift has ZERO body tracking and comes with a Xbox One controller - this is an instant failure for me.. any immersion the headset gives you will be completely lost without any kind of tracking... I know the Touch controller releases later this year.. but that's completely untested and only provides limited hand tracking - you might as well get Google Cardboard over this.

The Vive has a WIRED headset - another instant failure for me.. it has limited head tracking but has a more complicated setup - it does come with proper VR controllers - but then its also pricier.

The quality of games being launched is also quite worrying.. nothing sounds good at all... how someone can get excited about playing a 3rd person game in a 1st person view is beyond me and I know I was joking earlier.. but how can a Job Simulator game appeal to anyone??

Offline harv

« Reply #3443 on: February 23, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »
There are plenty of games for the Rift to get excited about, some of which are already available:

Elite Dangerous
War Thunder
Assetto Corsa
Project CARS
DCS
Alien Isolation
Lucky's Tale
Chronos
Edge Of Nowhere
EVE Valkyrie
Climb
Dreadhalls
Surgery Simulator
Adr1ft

Doesn't look too shabby to me. 8)

And that's before you think about VR injection programs such as Vorpx and TrinusVR that will allow you to play the likes of The Orange Box, Bioshock Trilogy, the Metro games and countless others in VR.

The one thing that Oculus in particular don't have to worry about is good quality content at launch and in the future going forward.

A bit weird that HTC and Valve haven't announced that much though. :-\

Offline jman

« Reply #3444 on: February 23, 2016, 01:04:30 PM »
I was talking more along the lines of Native VR games.. or rather official Oculus Rift DK2 compatible games.. some of those games don't fall into that category - and whilst you can still play them in VR - they will no doubt be beset with latency problems and lack of features.

Besides which - the list of games aren't as important as the actual experience.. if someone finds the experience nauseating.. or doesn't get that wow factor from it.. likelihood will be that they don't buy into VR - regardless of the games.  The lack of any kind of body tracking and only having limited head tracking in the DK2 makes me think of Oculus as nothing more than a glorified Google Cardboard - which did nothing to endear itself to me.

Offline harv

« Reply #3445 on: February 23, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »
The only game above that doesn't have native VR support is Alien Isolation, and even so it still has full positional tracking as far as I know. And none of them have any lag. ;)

Simulation sickness won't be a problem for most people because all of the games, apps and experiences available from Steam and the Oculus Store should be fully optimised. And those that do have problems with simulation sickness will experience less problems the more they try it. Wouldn't surprise me if both Oculus and HTC recommend 15 minutes per day for the first day and increasing that time by 5 minutes every following day in their instructions for their HMDs to build up a resistance to simulation sickness. I've seen people on forums say they've been cured of simulation sickness by doing this.

Thankfully I'm immune 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3446 on: February 23, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
Forgot to say that comparing the DK2 to Google Cardboard is pretty much comparing a black and white 15" portable TV from the late Seventies with a wonky coat hanger for an aerial to a 50" Vestel 1080p flatscreen lol, and the Vive and Rift being a 60" top brand 1080p flatscreen. :o

The Rift CV1 has full head tracking with one camera including positional tracking. With the second camera that will be available when the Touch controllers release later this year (my money would be just after E3) the Oculus Rift will be capable of Room Scale VR, the same as the HTC Vive (albeit without the chaperone system).

You also have Leap Motion which provides individual finger tracking, and the Touch controllers recognise finger movements such as a thumbs up and pointing.

VR is going to be HUGE in the not-too-distant future for gaming, sports, entertainment, education and training. I can't wait to get stuck in!!!

Offline jman

« Reply #3447 on: February 24, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »
The Rift has full head tracking with one camera... so no body tracking then! 

The fact you have to use an xbone controller is going to suck the most.. how immersive can it feel playing with a joypad..  The comparison to Google Cardboard may sound silly... but what is Google Cardboard if its not just a screen that's strapped to your head which uses rotational tracking... Oculus is two screens strapped to your head... which uses rotational tracking and a camera which tracks head positioning... aside from the actual base requirements to run each system (a phone vs a computer) - is there that much difference??

Offline harv

« Reply #3448 on: February 24, 2016, 12:28:24 PM »
There's a huge difference, even between a DK2 and a Google Cardboard let alone a CV1. My TV analogy should tell you as much. Much higher resolution, higher refresh rate, virtually no SDE and most importantly positional tracking. Even with the DK2 you can get out of your car in a driving sim you can get out and walk around your car to check it out or take in a view.

The Rift and Vive are so expensive because the displays and lenses are such good quality.

Offline Late

« Reply #3449 on: February 24, 2016, 10:14:31 PM »
You don't have any interest in a game called Job Simulator?  No shit Sherlock!!  ;D ;D 
Even in a VR world - you can't get him to go to work  ;D ;D

Wahahaha! How did I miss that.