https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662682 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3465 on: March 29, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »
Had to cancel my Quantum Break pre-order... GAME properly screwed up.

So the offer was.. Pre-order Quantum Break and get the Alan Wake (downloadable 360) game for free.. along with all the DLC for it (The Signal and The Writer) plus American Nightmare - which was a sort of spin-off half sequel.  I really enjoyed Alan Wake and had its DLC but never played American Nightmare, so I was up for this.

Got an email the other day saying that the free game was being replaced by Kameo : Elements of Power...( a game I already own courtesy of owning Rare Replay) because Quantum Break is classified as a 16+ and American Nightmare is an 18+ - so they can't sell it to me based on the grounds that I might not be old enough.  They would still honour American Nightmare by giving me a code.. but I'd have to go into store on launch day and provide proof of age... fuck that - do I need proof of age to buy a stand-alone 18 rated game.. no.. so what's the big problem here - it sounds complete bollocks to me.. Amazon are offering the same exact deal as GAME were offering and no word of them having to change the deal.. so I've gone with them instead.

Offline harv

« Reply #3466 on: March 29, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
And this is part of why Game's finances have been going down the toilet for years. And they always hire staff that don't have a clue about video games and consoles. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #3467 on: March 31, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
Well actually... I got an email from Amazon yesterday telling me that they are replacing American Nightmare with Kameo too...  >:( >:(

... fucked off about that.. but I guess I was kinda expecting it after GAME pulled out.. amazon & GAME both know I'm 18+ as they've sold me 18+ games in the past.. I don't see what the problem is. 

The only place to get American Nightmare now is from the Xbox Store... if you are under 18 you get Kameo, else you get American Nightmare... except it costs £5 more on the store.. not a big deal.. but if I'm paying more... I definitely don't want it in digital format... but if I did buy it from the store, I'd also get a free Windows 10 copy of the game.... grrrr too many decisions!!

Offline jman

« Reply #3468 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:20 PM »
Fuck 'em both.. ebay have got a 20% sale off EVERYTHING over £20 with code CUK20 (before 10pm tonight). I just pre-ordered it from simplygames ebay outlet.. cost less than £34  ;D

Offline harv

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #3470 on: April 01, 2016, 06:40:54 PM »
I wouldn't actually be surprised.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3471 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Oculus have been having problems with getting Rifts out since it launched on 28th March. Rumours are that they've had a problem with a third party company that have fucked up but they can't make any statements about due to contractual issues. My money would be on the company they had dealing with the payments for pre-orders. :-\

Hope they get all of this sorted out by November lol :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3472 on: April 02, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
Looks like Oculus have finally got their arses in gear, and any pre-orders made until today will have free shipping. Pretty good of them, although tbh I was hoping that both Oculus and HTC would offer free shipping for all orders considering that people are spending £499/699 on their products.

Looks like HTC have fucked up their launch for UK customers too. Something to do with the UK banking/credit card systems treating deductions of foreign currency at 1am as card fraud and refusing payments or something. There are LOADS of people pissed off about it. :o

Should get some details on the Pascal GPUs from NVidia on 5th at around 4pm. Think I'll be getting a 1080 when they're available if they outperform the equivalent Polaris GPUs from AMD.

Offline jman

« Reply #3473 on: April 04, 2016, 07:41:16 AM »
Fuck 'em both.. ebay have got a 20% sale off EVERYTHING over £20 with code CUK20 (before 10pm tonight). I just pre-ordered it from simplygames ebay outlet.. cost less than £34  ;D

And after all that Quantum Break landed on my doorstep on Saturday.. doesn't even release till Tuesday  ;D ;D  Been itching to play this since I saw the original trailer back at the X1 launch.

Offline jman

« Reply #3474 on: April 05, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »
Played through to the end of the first episode of Quantum Break.. and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.  There was about 60-90 minutes gameplay before you make a key decision in the story - then you sit through a 20 minute episode which can play out slightly differently depending on stuff you might of done in game prior.  I believe there are four 20 minute segments in a game.. so probably a total of 8 depending on the choices you make.

I'm in no way a fan of american cheesy TV - and I'll admit the episodes do feel like a cable tv program rather than an action blockbuster - but it does work well within the game.  To be honest though, I'm enjoying the game itself, some decent gameplay mechanics - I would put a caveat in there though that it does feel like the game is going to get very repetitive at this stage... I'm being funnelled from area to area to just kill people... there's nothing spectacular happening at the moment.. although I think Ep.1 is more about getting used to the game more than anything.

Offline harv

« Reply #3475 on: April 05, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
Does the game have several different endings depending on what choices you make..? That mechanic isn't used anywhere near enough in this industry imo, and the film industry too for that matter.

Offline Late

« Reply #3476 on: April 05, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »
Finished "Remember Me" recently. It's a futuristic world where it's possibly to remix peoples' memories - erase bad memories, replace them with good ones, etc.
Wish that shit was real. Then I could get the treatment and I'd remember the game as being good.
Unfortunately that tech doesn't exist, so I distinctly remember being rather disappointed. The memory remix sequences were pretty cool, but weren't used anywhere near as much as they should've been. There's only 3 or 4 times you use the ability. (I say "3 or 4" not because I've forgotten - more that it's done 4 times but one of them is a remix of a scene you've previously already done.)
Shame. The remixes are cool. You change someone's memory of an event and their entire world outlook can change - and you can see how tiny changes play out before rewinding the scene and altering it again.
The majority of the game, though, is a fairly run-of-the-mill fighter. Run along this corridor, into an open area, fight a bunch of baddies, climb the ladder, eun along another corridor - and try not to be too surprised when the big room at the end of said corridor turns out to have a load of baddies in it. The fighting itself wasn't horrendous - it had some nice twists to it - but it became way too repetitive.

If they make a sequel I'll probably buy it - so long as it has a lot more memory remixes in it.

Started watching "The Shield" again recently, and seeing the LA gang violence etc. must've gotten me hankering for some GTA: San Andreas - so I'm currently replaying that (pc/steam). Naturally the graphics are pretty lame by today's standards, but the game still stands up very well. Might have to play GTA 4 and 5 after I'm finished with this.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3477 on: April 05, 2016, 07:18:39 PM »
The Shield was fantastic, although I reckon they must have got their wrists slapped for the violence because it was REALLY toned down for the last series. >:(

Offline harv

« Reply #3478 on: April 05, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »
NVidia have just finished their webcast from GTC 2016 and there is PLENTY of Nerd Rage going on :o

No gaming Pascal announced and the high end Pascal that they did show ($129,000 worth lol) won't be released until Q1 2017. Unless they have something to show at Computex then AMD will be pissing themselves with laughter. :o :-\

Everyone was expecting the first Pascal cards to be released last year. :o

Offline jman

« Reply #3479 on: April 07, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »
Does the game have several different endings depending on what choices you make..? That mechanic isn't used anywhere near enough in this industry imo, and the film industry too for that matter.

From what I've read, there is only one ending.. but completely separate paths to it - so the story would still be quite different in a replay.

I'm at the end of Act 2 now and I'm beginning to see why it was panned by some critics - the gameplay is not as tight or sharp as it should be.. its a shame because some of the gameplay mechanics are brilliant... it's also very linear.. I don't mind following a set path if there are puzzles, brainteasers or other optional quests to do along the way... but it really is just going through the motions and killing bad guys - there are a few different variants of bad guys I've met now, but the game needs another dimension to it other than just discovering extra bits to the story (via computer/tablets/newspapers) and a tacked on upgrade system.  TBH, the gameplay is pretty much spot on with Alan Wake - it's enjoyable to play with a fantastic story... but just falls short of being brilliant.  Plus I'm playing QB on Hardest mode too and haven't died once.. so difficulty seems a bit easy.