https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663050 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3495 on: April 20, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »
I'd never deny that I'm a big kid lol.

It's a real shame that Ubisoft didn't manage to better the first Rabbids game, probably the best launch title I've ever seen in all my years of gaming. It was hilarious and had a ridiculous amount of content. The game with the Rabbids on the toilets was amazingly good fun, particularly when you heard them all straining on the loo :o ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #3496 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
Nintendo just announced that codename NX will be released globally in March 2017.. and basically they have nothing (bar Zelda) to show until then.. oh dear..

A March release would also suggest its a handheld rather than a console (which would typically be released prior to xmas).

Offline harv

« Reply #3497 on: April 27, 2016, 03:27:28 PM »
Not bothered myself, all consoles are going to be dead to me - whether they're home or portable ones - for the foreseeable future in November 8)

Once you go VR you never go back :o :P ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #3498 on: April 27, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
Games with gold for May:

Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3499 on: April 29, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
Not bothered myself, all consoles are going to be dead to me - whether they're home or portable ones - for the foreseeable future in November 8)

Once you go VR you never go back :o :P ;D

^^ what you said about motion controls  ;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3500 on: April 29, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
And motion controls are going to be a key part of VR gaming ;)

Offline jman

« Reply #3501 on: April 29, 2016, 11:26:30 AM »
That's why you are buying the VR solution that comes with... a Xbox One controller  ;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3502 on: April 29, 2016, 02:56:01 PM »
I'm buying a Rift over a Vive for several different reasons:

1) The headset is more comfortable to wear

2) The displays are better quality

3) The games are better

4) Having the Touch controllers releasing at a later date allows me to spread the cost of the headset. I can't afford to spend £700 in one go.

I still think that Room Scale VR isn't going to be as big as people think it will be, it's going to go the same way as Kinect for similar reasons. But seated and standing motion controlled games are going to be big.

Offline harv

« Reply #3503 on: April 29, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
Missed one:

5) I prefer the design and functionality of the Touch controllers

Have been hearing some really good things about Crytek's The Climb which released yesterday. At the moment you can only use the Xbox One controller until the Touch controllers have been released but I can see a traditional controller being the better option out of the two. It's going to be knackering playing this game with your hands in the air 90% of the time, and I've noticed that the gameplay involves your character crossing his hands over each other which is going to be difficult to do with a handhold that's quite far away.

I think it's going to be one of those games where theoretically it's going to look like a GREAT fit for motion controls but in practice it isn't too practical to do. At the moment using your HMD to move your hands and the triggers to grip handholds means that it isn't going to be knackering to play and allows anyone to play the game regardless of their physical reach.

Offline jman

« Reply #3504 on: May 03, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »
You can't have a preference on the design, feel or comfort of an object until you have one in your hand.  I liked the design of the N64 controller.. until I tried one and found out that it sucked balls!  You haven't as much tried any of the VR hardware solutions, let alone the controllers.. so points 1, 2 and 5 are straight out the window.

I'll let you have point 4 - Oculus will be cheaper..  although just because you can't afford to buy the system that provides a FULL VR experience out of the box - that has no bearing on which system is going to provide a better experience.

Point 3 is by-the-by.  99% of all games will work on both systems - and there are already user hacks to play these "exclusive" games on the other system... if you were talking about a comparison with PSVR you might have a point here.

If seated/standing motion controlled games are as far as VR is going to take us - its going to be a great big steaming turd of a failure.

Offline harv

« Reply #3505 on: May 04, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »
Of course I can judge the design of the controllers without using them. Even without trying them it's pretty clear that with the half-moon design and finger and thumb tracking that the Touch controllers are more like extensions of your hands...and hands on reports all confirm this. The Vive controllers are basically just Wii remote clones.

As for 1 and 2 I'm, again, going by reports of people that own both headsets. The Rift display is clearer, focuses into infinity so it has more depth, the colors are more balanced and the 'sweet spot' is bigger. The design of the strap is also superior, wearing the Vive leaves an imprint of the edges of the headset on your face, known as 'Rift Face' back when the DK1 and DK2 did the same thing. If anyone has 'Rift Face' wearing the Rift CV1 then they're not wearing it properly.

The only three advantages that the Vive has over the Rift is availability, motion controls and a less extreme 'god rays' effect, and two out of those 3 will be negated when Oculus ramp up production and release the Touch controllers.

And as for number 3, it isn't 'by the by' at all. Yes, you can run games bought from the Oculus Store using Revive but doing so will impede performance. As Valve's reprojection method stands at the moment it's inferior to Oculus' ATW, it's part of the reason why HTC and Valve won't let Oculus extend the Oculus SDK to allow Vive games to be bought from the Oculus Store. If they did that you'd have games like Elite Dangerous, for example, bought from the Oculus Store performing better than the same game bought from Steam. And if that happened there'd be one hell of a shitstorm :o

Offline Late

« Reply #3506 on: May 04, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3507 on: May 05, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »
No idea, but you can't really go wrong for 70p lol :o

Both CAT Interstellar and Doorways have been on my radar, will probably get that tomorrow and spend the extra £1.40 to grab them all. Thanks for letting me know about it, much appreciated. ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #3508 on: May 06, 2016, 08:49:26 AM »
Just heard they are remaking Shadow of the Beast which includes the original.. I fucking loved that game.. wasted so many hours on it.. it was rock hard!!

No idea if the remake will be any good - but I'd buy it just for the original - shame its PS4 exclusive though..  :-\

Offline harv

« Reply #3509 on: May 07, 2016, 03:46:29 AM »
Fuck me ragged with a wire brush :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Sideways :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Just finished watching NVidia's live stream with their reveal of their new 1080 and 1070 GPUs. I was going to wait until AMD released details of their Polaris GPUs before making a decision on which one to buy but fuck me, the 1080 is twice more powerful than the Titan X. :o

I wasn't expecting that at all, I think that's caught A LOT of people by surprise lol ;D

I was expecting the 1080 to be 20-30% more powerful than the 980Ti and the 1070 to be around the same sort of power as the 980Ti. The 1080 is twice more powerful than the Titan X (which costs £800-900) and the 1070 is more powerful than the 980Ti. The 1080 is $599 and the $1070 is $399, so we'll probably get shafted over here as usual and have to pay over the odds - £550 and £350 I reckon.

I'm really gobsmacked by that, I can't see AMD going anywhere near that in terms of performance.