https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662839 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3525 on: May 30, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
Bloody thing isn't compatible so I decide to start again with 4.11. Running smooth so far but I haven't started messing around with VR yet. I suspect that my iGPU is at fault, it only has 1GB of VRAM so it may be struggling to cope.

My 1080 will solve that issue 8)

Elite Dangerous has had a big performance update. Used to take a couple of minutes for the game to start processing the Compute Shaders when the game starts booting up and now takes around 50 seconds, they've also increased the eye candy too. Asteroid fields and inside space stations look miles better.

Can't wait until August when I get my 1080, I'll be playing games with everything turned up to 11 ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #3526 on: May 31, 2016, 02:54:10 AM »
Just finished FFX - and started FFX-2 (on Steam).

And 1 hour later I stopped playing FFX-2, likely never to play it ever again.

I really enjoyed FFX back in the day, and thoroughly enjoyed playing it again now. It's not my favourite in the series (6, 7, 8, and 9 all surpassed it) but it's a good story, the sphere grid is inspired, and blitzball was always fun.
I'd never played it's sequel before (and in fact knew pretty much nothing about it other than it existed), and was really looking forward to playing it, but it's horrendous. It appears to be only three characters, all three are incredibly annoying, and they're defeating the forces of evil through the joint mediums of dance and changing clothes. WTAF.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3527 on: May 31, 2016, 04:47:15 AM »
 :D ;D ;D :D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #3528 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:42 AM »
I never finished FFX - in fact I didn't really get very far at all in it... I know the series went massively downhill afterwards though - it won't ever capture the aweseomeness of 7 or 8 again* ... Chocobo Racing and Triple Triad were literally the best things in gaming ever!  Dunno if you played FF13 or FF13-2 yet late, I really wouldn't bother unless you love linear gameplay**

Sega announced the other day they were "investigating" remastering Shenmue 1 and 2.. god how long has it taken them to realise that they were absolutely epic games.. would love to play them all over again.. that reminds me - only 18 months left until Shenmue 3 is finished! Yippee!

*  FF9 was pretty awesome too... although its not in the same class as 7 or 8 for me.

** TBF I never played more than a few hours of FF13-2 - so unsure if that's true about that one.

Offline harv

« Reply #3529 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:01 PM »
I know that this is JRPG sacrilege but I've never thought much about the Final Fantasy franchise. :-\

Offline Late

« Reply #3530 on: May 31, 2016, 11:34:08 PM »
I never finished FFX - in fact I didn't really get very far at all in it... I know the series went massively downhill afterwards though - it won't ever capture the aweseomeness of 7 or 8 again* ... Chocobo Racing and Triple Triad were literally the best things in gaming ever!  Dunno if you played FF13 or FF13-2 yet late, I really wouldn't bother unless you love linear gameplay**
Never played 13, but I had a run through 13-2 to completion.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2
Last Played: 31/07/2013
Gamerscore: 343/1000
Was okay, but not a patch on the classics.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3531 on: June 01, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
Just seen Techland have released Dead Island Definitive Edition for PS4, X1 and PC - I could be tempted back... I never finished the original due to a bug that completely fucked the only save file you get.. I could of gone back in at an earlier chapter but I lost all my items/weapons along with the save and was too pissed off (I actually sold the game) to carry on because it is a long-ass game.  Whilst it is a pretty boring/repetitive game - the open world style with zombies is great.. and I haven't played the Riptide spin-off which comes with the Definitive edition - so that would give more incentive to buy this.. especially as it looks like the true sequel looks like its been canned.

Or I could give Dying Light a go as I haven't played that at all... hmmm

Offline harv

« Reply #3532 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:26 PM »
Just noticed that the RX 480, the new upcoming GPU from AMD, is pushing 5.5 Tera flops...and so is the GPU in the Xbox Two (because let's face it, it is a new console and along with the PlayStation 4K is the start of a new console generation). Which means that the Xbox Two is going to be powerful enough to run Oculus Rift games.

So is the PS4.5 of course, but given the close ties between Microsoft and Oculus perhaps there's going to be some sort of bundle on the table..?

Better off being a member of the PCMR though imo 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #3533 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »
...Codenamed Scorpio, it apparently would be capable of supporting 4k and Occulus Rift...

Keep up, sunshine!

Offline harv

« Reply #3534 on: June 01, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »
Oops lol :-[ ;D :P

Have narrowed down my 1080 selection to three cards - an EVGA FTW, an Asus Strix or an Inno3D iChill X4.

Just got to wait for reviews and hands on reports before I make my mind up.

And once I get it I'll be able to overclock my Skylake CPU. I'm just running it at its stock 4.0GHz at the moment, unfortunately the iGPU and my motherboard BIOS don't get on. When I boot up my PC all of the BIOS screen is squished into the top half of the screen which makes it difficult to fuck around with stuff.

Will be getting my 1080 in August. 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3535 on: June 02, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
Looks like Oculus have improved the Touch controllers. They now have all 4 fingers and the thumb tracked. Video of a really annoying American trying it out here, major props to the guys doing the demo for not punching his face in lol :o ;D

I guarantee you that you won't be able to watch for long, this guy is sooooooooo annoying!!! :o

Offline jman

« Reply #3536 on: June 07, 2016, 08:27:03 AM »
So I played The Wolf Among Us over the weekend (spoilers in the paragraph ahead)...

I did enjoy it playing through it despite it basically being a massive QTE fest... but I enjoyed the characters, the story, the graphics and the curveball thrown right at the end was great... at first I thought that meant that Faith is Nerissa... but then on 10-15 minutes reflection on the bog.. I realised that Nerissa is (or rather was) Faith.. the Faith that you meet at the start that is.. and that the real Faith was probably killed prior to the events with the punch-up with Woody.... which meant that Nerissa met with Bigby glamoured as Faith to get him interested then planted the head to get Bigby on the case... that's what I got from the game anyway.

What was a bit shit though is that there really is no reason to go back to the game once you've finished it.. took me about 15 minutes to get the achievements I had missed, and that was it.. I wont touch the game again.

So I started The Walking Dead Season 1 last night.. knowing it was in the same vein as TWAU.. and it is, first impressions are that its probably not going to be as good.. but its certainly playable I guess.

Offline stupac

« Reply #3537 on: June 07, 2016, 03:19:25 PM »
You gave it a lot more thought than I did lol. It was all very confusing. What did you do with the Crooked Man?

I've played 4 telltale games so far, (still got Game of Thrones to play) and as good as The Wolf Among Us is, I'd say it's probably my least favourite. Really enjoyed it though and the story was great, even if it was confusing at times. But for me The Walking Dead 1 and 2 were just brilliant.

I was about to post what I'd like to see in season 3 but not sure if it would be a spoiler for you.  ;)
Arcadia Bay | FKA The One United

Offline jman

« Reply #3538 on: June 08, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »
Crooked Man.. I threw him down the well lol.. the bit at the end with Nerissa kinda makes you realise that you couldn't of been 100% certain that he was definitely responsible for the deaths... so he could of been set-up, I just thought he looked a bit of a twat with his flappy eye and everything and probably deserved to die... besides he's "Crooked" so he must be bad!

Further into Walking Dead last night and what I've noticed from playing more is that 1) its a much longer game than TWAU with more actual play-sections than just choosing an option.. and 2) the options feel more clear-cut and game-defining - such as.. choose one person to live type of thing - ultimately I know the game will go down the same path whatever decision I make, but it doesn't feel like that playing the game... especially with the life/death decisions - TWAU does this in a more subtle way.. but I don't think it really paid off because I really didn't want to replay it again.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:02:03 AM by jman »

Offline jman

« Reply #3539 on: June 13, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
I finished The Walking Dead Season 1 over the weekend... completely agree stupac - it is much better than Wolf Among Us - I'm actually thinking of buying the second season - although I think £20 is a tad steep.. I see there was a trailer up for the 3rd season.. although I haven't watched it.. no spoilers! lol.

Although since Season 1 has been out for a while, I'll talk about the choices I made.. so spoilers ahead!!

I went looking for Clem with Kenny, Omid and Christa at the end.. and showed them the bite straight away.. I let Ben go.. he was a douchebag - I was gonna bone Carley and he fucked that all up!  I was surprised at just how many different people you could have at that point in the game though.. think Telltale said that at episode 5 they had 32 different possibilities that people could be at.. that's quality. 

I finished the epilogue aswell.. had 3 of 5 survivors come with me.. although I read that this effects Season 2 so I might replay them before I buy it so that I get all 5 to come??