https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662626 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3585 on: August 03, 2016, 07:00:42 PM »
Yup, I realised that soon after I posted. I put the correction in my Blog :-[ :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline stupac

« Reply #3586 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »
I played a little bit of Life is Strange, can't remember if it was the first episode or just a demo.

I enjoyed it, but the only problem I had was that you didn't seem to have to live with the consequences of your decisions like you do in The Walking Dead. I made a couple decisions which were apparently wrong and the game forced me to rewind and do it again lol.  ???

It was a while ago though so that could be totally wrong.
Arcadia Bay | FKA The One United

Offline harv

« Reply #3587 on: August 04, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »
I think that Thames Water drilled through an electric cable earlier on today :o

Had a power cut. Didn't hear an ambulance though so maybe it was a planned outage. Good job I wasn't in the middle of working on my game at the time ;D

I've started to have problems with my corridor turn mesh, the bloomin thing has holes in it.  :o >:( I've posted my mesh on a forum and someone is being kind enough to take a look at it). I've probably done something very basic and very stupid wrong somewhere lol. In the meantime in my blog last night I started doing a quick tutorial on using ZBrush which is an AMAZING piece of kit.

ZBrush when it was first created was intended to be used for painting in 3D on a flat canvas but has since evolved to cover sculpting in 3 dimensions proper so that you can turn around your creation in 3 dimensions and export it as a 3D model.

I started work on my first alien creature base mesh the other day using ZSpheres but I wasn't happy with it so have decided to start again and do a basic ZSpheres tutorial on my Dev Blog at the same time.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #3588 on: August 04, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »
ZSpheres allow you to use spheres that can be connected together and moved, resized and rotated, allowing you to quickly create a base mesh. Here's my first attempt at an alien creature showing the ZSpheres:

And here's the base mesh:

It basically allows you to create base meshes for organic models REALLY quickly. I knocked that up in about half an hour. ;D

And seeing as we're on a new page, here's the link to my Dev Blog:

http://forum.vrspies.com/t/harvs-dev-blog/305/5

5 of the images I posted yesterday appear to be broken for some reason. Maybe I used too many and the forum has had a nervous breakdown lol :-[ ;D ;D ;D

Going to try and edit my post to see if I can fix it. :-\

Offline Late

« Reply #3589 on: August 04, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
I played a little bit of Life is Strange, can't remember if it was the first episode or just a demo.

I enjoyed it, but the only problem I had was that you didn't seem to have to live with the consequences of your decisions like you do in The Walking Dead. I made a couple decisions which were apparently wrong and the game forced me to rewind and do it again lol.  ???

It was a while ago though so that could be totally wrong.

You've got some fledgling ability to rewind time a short distance, so when you get to the bigger decisions you'll pick one option then she'll wonder aloud whether she's made a mistake and it'll tell you you can hit the shoulder button to rewind - but it does that whichever choice you make - it's not telling you that you made a wrong choice. I think the intention is that you can pick one, play out the next 20 seconds or so to see what the immediate consequences are, then go back and see the alternative, before picking the one you prefer.
Usually the short-term consequences aren't all that telling, of course, and the full impact of what you're doing doesn't actually become apparent until much later in the story.

SPOILER:
One thing I liked (and that totally reminded me of The Butterfly Effect) is that at one point when your powers are developing a bit further you find you can go back in time to 6 years earlier - the day your best friend's dad died. She went off the rails when that happened, and is in some trouble in the present timeline. You eventually find a way to prevent his death, and you return to present day - only to find there are some pretty big changes to the world, all caused by that one change you made (the biggest of those changes being that your best friend is now a quadriplegic on the verge of dying from respiratory failure.) You're then in a position where you have to go back in time and allow her dad to die even though you could save his life, if you want to save your friend.
It's quite unashamed of it's Butterfly Effect links, btw. Butterflies feature fairly prominently in the story at the point where you discover your powers, and several times again. There also seem to be some links to Twin Peaks, but I've not actually watched that show yet. (It's on my list to watch "soon". It's been on that list a few years though...) I do recognise some similarities, though, in that a girl is missing and there was the phrase "Fire walk with me" graffiti'd somewhere.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3590 on: August 04, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
You haven't watched Twin Peaks..?!!?!? :o

You need to address that problem asap 8)

I loved the Butterfly Effect, a great film. ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3591 on: August 05, 2016, 11:55:39 PM »
Okay, I've re-done my alien creature and took a bit more time over it and I think it shows. Here it is:

It's going to be about the size of a large rat and use it's tail to jump on players' chests. Once it's there a protuberance will pop out and kill the player and lay its eggs. Should freak the fuck out of people in VR :o ;D ;D ;D

I haven't quite got the legs right but am having a break and will sort those out tomorrow.

Once I have the legs sorted out I'll create an adaptive skin for it to create a base mesh and then get started on sculpting the thing. ZBrush really is a fantastic piece of kit, no wonder it costs a few grand. It ridiculously speeds up a game developer's workflow. It has a few idiosyncrasies but once you get used to them they don't get on your tits too much.

Any feedback would be much appreciated by the way. ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3592 on: August 08, 2016, 01:20:36 AM »
Fuck it. I'm ordering my 1080 tomorrow. I was going to wait for a Zotac Amp Extreme to become available but the stock situation on those cards is fucking ridiculous. Am getting a Palit Super Jetstream instead. It's £63 cheaper and whilst it's unlikely to be as fast as the Zotac card when overclocked it won't be a million miles away unless I lose the silicon lottery. Palit cards are known to be good Overclockers in general so hopefully I'll be lucky. Will keep my fingers crossed! :o

Then it's going to be time to pay some of that credit card debt off before I get my Rift in November. I should have around £380 to play around with in November, will hopefully get £100 cash for my birthday and Kevin will paid back the £70 he owes me so that should be that sorted.

Offline harv

« Reply #3593 on: August 08, 2016, 07:45:25 PM »
Well that's ordered, should be getting it tomorrow.

It has a boost clock of 1845MHz out of the box but no overclock on the VRAM...but that's easily fixed. Palit cards have a reputation for overclocking well so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The vast majority of these 1080s overclock to around 2050MHz boost so it shouldn't have a problem going that high but even if it does 1845MHz is as fast as fuck as it is lol :o ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3594 on: August 09, 2016, 05:01:02 PM »
Haven't tried overclocking it yet but my GPU is performing well. Had a couple of BSODes from Windows but a quick update seems to have sorted that out. Just did a Fire Strike Stress Test and got 99.1% efficiency so my overclocked Skylake and DDR4 are earning their money lol :P

I managed to crash 3DMark with a Fire Strike Extreme Stress Test but I think that's software related, not hardware related. Haven't tested software for years and I can still break it without thinking about it lmfao :o ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3595 on: August 09, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »
Yup. Got 98.2% on Extreme and 98.1% on Ultra 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3596 on: August 11, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline harv

« Reply #3597 on: August 17, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
I love first reaction videos for the Rift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4FclVolfQ

Someone's Nigerian Aunt tries the Rift for the first time...and this reaction is just a reaction to the white screen that shows up when Dreamdeck starts: http://www.benfarrell.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/dreamdeck.png

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He's going to have her go through the actual content of Dreamdeck tomorrow, she'll probably wet herself when the T-Rex appears in the museum lololol

Offline harv

« Reply #3598 on: August 24, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »
Yup, if she didn't actually wet herself I reckon she came pretty close lmfao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rdCFB3Vi7E

:o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He's got to get her playing Dreadhalls next...although she might end up expiring lolololol :o :P 8)

Offline jman

« Reply #3599 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:16 AM »
I bought Dying Light Enhanced Edition the other day - £17 from Shopto (although it looks like they've charged me twice for it). First time I've bought a game for a while.. I've only done the prologue but it seems pretty good so far.  Nothing too shit-ya-pants scary, but its still early doors.  One thing I get from initial impressions is that its more about running away than killing zombies.

Probably wont get to play it too much for a while as still in the middle of a house move but I like it so far, very similar to Dead Island.