https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662651 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3615 on: September 24, 2016, 09:23:24 AM »
Anyway, back to games...

Replayed Dishonored this week - in anticipation of Dishonored 2 coming out soon (early Nov, I believe). Still think it's a cracking game. Played it the stealth way (got the achievement for zero kills, but didn't get the "ghost" achievement for not being detected, unfortunately), and am tempted to replay it "rambo style", and get one of the high chaos endings.
Probably won't replay it any time soon though, if I'm honest. Too many other games in the backlog.

Tesco are doing 2 preorders for £70 at the moment on certain console games, which ain't bad.
Could be tempted by a few, there...
Dishonored 2, Mafia 3, Titanfall 2, Steep, Watch Dogs 2, and Forza Horizon 3 all look promising. Will probably wait until they're cheaper, though, tbh. I don't need to have them at release, what with the aforementioned backlog.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:25:32 AM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3616 on: September 24, 2016, 10:15:29 AM »
I'm not 'wishing death' on anyone. :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #3617 on: September 24, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »
Gears 4 is £35 on amazon anyway, Ive pre-ordered that... And bought a white controller for £45.. Didn't fancy shelling out another £15 for the gears controller

Offline harv

« Reply #3618 on: September 24, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
Fucking hell, if the Touch controllers for the Rift released today there would be 651 Rift games available to play :o

Unfortunately though Steam's curation has been piss poor so far, there's a lot of shite on there available to buy and a lot of it is decent but WAAAAAAAY overpriced. :-\

Have realised that due to the dates when I'm getting my credit card bill and can make payments that I'm going to be able to get my Rift before Halloween :o ;D :o

I'm planning on scaring myself shitless lol ;D ;D ;D

1) Dreadhalls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olvJ7nUX2sI
2) Dreadeye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sekZxsAjg
3) Bioshock 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFXF8Y9LI8g
4) Outlast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1XcaFc2MKE
5) Affected https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYC_0nerQ2U
6) The Visitor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GPAzt1SLFw

Not sure if I'll be doing them in that order, I'll probably do the shorter experiences first I reckon. Bioshock 1 in particular is supposed to REALLY freak the fuck out of you lol :o ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #3619 on: October 03, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »
I've just won the Poster Of The Week award on the Oculus forums and won myself a T-shirt 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3620 on: October 05, 2016, 05:57:30 PM »
Well the reviews for PlayStation VR have started to come in today and it's not good :-\

In terms of ergonomics the headset itself is the dog's bollocks, there's virtually no SDE either. But the tracking is pants due to the camera being a pile of old pants so it loses tracking with the headset at times and the Move controllers jitter. What I was hoping was going to be Sony bringing good quality VR to the mainstream has gone out of the window. There are also frame rate issues with the games but hopefully that will be sorted out with the release of the PS54 Pro.

Those tracking issues are going have people blowing chunks I reckon, and bad VR experiences can put people of it for life. Sony should have included a new camera I reckon.

Offline Late

« Reply #3621 on: October 06, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »
Did you see Lost Odyssey has been added to backwards compatibility, Kieran? If memory serves, you were a massive fan of the game.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3622 on: October 06, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
I did indeed see that.. I still own the 360 discs anyway.. but its definitely one of the best JRPGs of recent times.

I replayed it as my last game on the 360 (prior to the X1 release) just to get 20 achievement points (own every single treasure in the game) which took me to 100k Gamerscore too - it took fucking ages lol.

There were some half decent JRPGs on the 360 actually, Blue Dragon (minus the voice acting) and Resonance of Fate were also top notch.. apart from a few arcade downloads.. there's been nothing really of note on the X1 although I do hold some hope that Scalebound is going to change that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:15:38 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #3623 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:18 PM »
Fucking hell, MEGATON after MEGATON dropped by Oculus earlier this evening at the Oculus Connect 3 keynote.

Firstly Facebook and Social VR bollocks which would be really geeking me out if I gave a fuck about social network bollocks lol. Avatars with 1 billion different combinations (I still prefer the simplicity of Miis though myself but they did start a trend I guess). Had Zuckerberg taking a selfie with a selfie stick with some tart he phoned up and his dog sitting on his couch in his front room. Facial gestures for avatars etc. Wasn't paying that much attention to it all tbh because all of this social networking is a load of old bollocks to me personally.

Oculus are working on a Rift/Gear VR bastard child which will be a standalone unit (so you don't need a PC to power it) with positional tracking, still at the pre-pre Alpha stage though.

New $49 in-ear ear buds for the Rift, supposed to be dog's bollocks quality. Not too interested in those because my Georgie Porgie will chew the wires, the little bugger >:(

So where are the MEGATONS, I hear you ask..? And why aren't they 'megatons' or even 'Megatons'. Well here they are:

1) Some of you may be aware that the Oculus SDK has something called Asynchronous TimeWarp (or ATW for short) which when the frames in a game start dropping it kicks in and duplicates the frame before it and calculates what the difference is movement would have been and 'timewarps' that frame so that it resembles what the next delayed frame would have looked like. This means that the display on the HMD doesn't judder and gameplay remains smooth and comfortable to play.

Now ATW only works in 2 dimensions (as far as I understood what they were saying) so if the game is rendering a 3D object that's moving in the Z access ie moving closer or further away from the player you'll still get a bit of judder because ATW can't compensate for those lost frames.

So Oculus have come up with Asynchronous SpaceWarp (ASW). ASW also works in the Z axis so you'll effectively get NO FRAMERATE DROPS AT ALL. Now from a developer's perspective that was the first MEGATON. But it gets better. The way that ATS works is that unlike ATW it doesn't kick in when the frames drop BUT WORKS ALL OF THE TIME. The framerate for all Rift games, experiences and apps is dropped from 90fps to 45fps and for alternate frames the frames are copied and calculated and SpaceWarped whether the game needs it or not. So those 45 frames per second plus those SpaceWarped 45 frames per second make a smooth 90fps.

2) So why is that a second MEGATON ffs, I hear you ask again. Because your PC is only processing 45fps so has less work to do. And that means that the minimum spec for Rift games can be lowered, you can even run these games on a laptop now! :o

3) And if that wasn't enough MEGATONNAGE Oculus have also done a deal with Epic that covers developers' royalty payments (if your game sells over $3000 per month you need to pay them a 5% royalty). If your game makes up to $5m Oculus will pay Epic the $250,000 royalty fees :o

The Touch controllers aren't being released until 6th December which is disappointing but I'm not going to be able to afford them until next year so I'm not too bothered about that.

I was feeling quite deflated about the mainstream VR scene after Sony have fucked things up but Oculus pretty much halving the cost needed to spend on a Rift capable machine has buoyed my hopes about that. Most gamers now won't be needing to buy a new machine or even upgrade their current one to enjoy PCVR. The new minimum specs are now:

GeForce GX 960
Intel i3 6100 (or AMD FX4350)

Absolutely fantastic news! 8)

Offline jman

« Reply #3624 on: October 08, 2016, 09:01:31 AM »
Zzzzzz

I had a go on a gear headset yesterday, totally unimpressed.   What's the point of VR if you have to play with controllers. Also don't want to play games with a giant headset on lol.  Felt a bit pukey after 5 mins playing a game too

Also saw a hololens in action last week, unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to wait around for a demo,  I just watched people using it. They looked stupid

Offline harv

« Reply #3625 on: October 08, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
Judging VR after a go with a Gear VR or Google Cardboard is a bit like judging a Porshe after trying a Robin Reliant lol. The Rift and Vive are completely different experiences.

And are you talking about gamepad controllers or the Vive and Touch controllers..? If you're talking about the former then it won't be a problem because the latter will give you hand tracking. If you're talking about the latter then how are you supposed to do stuff without them..?  :-\

Offline jman

« Reply #3626 on: October 17, 2016, 09:10:41 AM »
Played and finished Gears of War 4 most of last week and the weekend.. I really enjoyed it.. despite not a lot happening throughout the main game.  A bit frustrating that it starts a new story arc off.. but then sidetracks for most of the game and picks up again at the end in preparation for the next two, the ending was a bit sudden but makes sense if you've played the others. 

Most of the time you are chasing after a 'snatch'er which basically resembles a walking vagina that can open its belly up and 'snatch' people lol.. cue loads of silly giggles throughout my playthrough... no wonder this games an 18! 

I played around 5 games of multiplayer last night, its pretty good... first game I ended up with 0.48 K/D ratio.. which was terrible.. but I was averaging at about 1.0 by the end of the session.  Some good gamemodes in there though - Dodgeball is probably my favourite.. you get one life - but every kill your team makes brings back one of your teammates - then there is Arms Race which see you cycle through about 13 different weapons.. every time your team kills 3 enemies - your whole team cycles onto the next weapon.. I am yet to try Horde but will definitely get around to that.  Got a friend coming over on Wednesday to start an Impossible co-op story run-through.

Offline jman

« Reply #3627 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:10 AM »
Am really looking forward to Titanfall 2 aswell... although it will have to wait as I'm getting married this weekend.. then away for a week... are you planning on getting T2 at launch late - will have to hook up again and kick some ass at that.. although with a single player campaign, I'll probably play through that first.

Offline harv

« Reply #3628 on: October 18, 2016, 01:47:35 AM »
Shite. My PC is playing up. Started off with the Unreal Engine crashing when Building the lighting so I thought I'd update my 1080 drivers to see if that made any difference but I can't get the fucker to install. And now I can't start in Safe Mode to use DDU.

Going to check my c: drive to see if it's on its way out, if it's fine then I'm probably going to reformat the thing and install a fresh Windows 10 on it.

The good news is that I originally thought that the lighting issue was down to me creating my models with SketchUp, if I had to redo those models in Maya then that would add MONTHS onto my schedule. I'm planning on having something playable in a few months and the game finished before next Halloween.

I've been thinking that I should have started on something a bit simpler for my first game but there aren't nearly enough VR horror games out there so as long as it isn't a complete pile of old pants it should get a few downloads and people should appreciate it. 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #3629 on: October 19, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
No, I probably won't buy it at launch, Kieron. I don't go near the console much these days.

All the best for the wedding this weekend mate!  8)