https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662710 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #510 on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »
Horror stories.. what.. like returning to work ??  :P

A wired connection wouldnt be that bad... if it was only required for direct game streaming to the tablet.. video/music streaming can all be done wireless and lag free....all my network stuff at home is still wired because I dont want the lag.. I even still play with a wired controller from time to time too... besides.. gaming on a tablet wont become the future of MS or Sony.. its just more options to have.... will nintendo be able to stream content to a smartphone.. no didnt think they could  ;)

(Im unconvinced about how much lag there really would be anyway.. Ni-Fi is just nintendos equivalent of Wi-Fi.. it still follows the same basic architecture of Wi-Fi.. and anyway.. I said Im excited about the prospects of smartglass.. the foundations that MS are building look much more promising for the future than nintendos rigid plans)

Offline harv

« Reply #511 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
Why on earth would Nintendo want to stream to a smartphone or tablet..? ::)

And Ni-Fi is a great deal quicker. There's less than a sixtieth of a second worth of lag, which is bloomin impressive.

The major problem that SmartGlass will have compared to the GamePad is support.

And you're probably the only gamer on the planet that prefers a wired controller lol
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #512 on: June 21, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
Additional content.. mini-maps, strategy guides, all sorts of things... I've been at a game before with a laptop by my side mopping up achievements using maps, strategy guides and allsorts.. would be very handy to just have an app on your phone which hooked up to your 360 and could display all that information in one place for you... gamepad cant do that.. its a dumb terminal.

And tell me why Ni-Fi is so quick then harv... what have nintendo actually done to the wi-fi architecture to reduce latency between devices.. and tell me why microsoft/sony cant implement a suitable alternative.  Obviously tablets and such come in all kinds of brands/makes.. what if microsoft says.. ok well you can only do direct (wireless) game streaming with MS tablets (which have a built in stand so no need to hold) and they build something akin to Ni-Fi to talk to those devices... its not beyond the realms of possibilities is it... I love the fact that its all optional with MS though.. you cant even use more than 2 gamepads with the Wii U - thats how rigid and restrictive nintendo are being..

And why wont smartglass have support.. no actual reason there.. its promising technology that will be used throughout most live games..

And nope, loads of people I know still have wired connections and use wired controllers.. for a start the wired controllers are considerably lighter than the wireless ones... plus you never have to worry about batteries.

Offline harv

« Reply #513 on: June 21, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »
No idea why it's so quick, but it's patented which makes it impossible for both Sony and Microsoft to copy. The method of Ni-Fi's communication must be different to that of Wi-Fi, hence the difference in response time.

And all of those uses of SmartGlass on a pad or smartphone can be replicated on the GamePad subscreen. That's probably part of the reason why Nintendo are using the total of the 360 and PS3 RAM for the OS alone. And with the GamePad you don't even need to put the controller down to pick up and use the pad or smartphone. You can do it all at the press of a button. Using one device is going to be much smoother than using 2 different devices.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #514 on: June 21, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
You're wasting your breath (or fingertips?), Kieron. He just doesn't get the fact that something that's flexible can be better than something that's got a "U" logo in the corner.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #515 on: June 21, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
nextbox leak
Would be more inclined to believe it if it weren't for the ridiculously low price ($300).

MS lawyers get the leaked doc removed...
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #516 on: June 22, 2012, 12:08:43 AM »
Have just had a quick go on Dead Island for the first time in ages, got a trophy because I hadn't played the game in 28 days or more - nice tribute to 28 Days Later lol. There's probably a few more cultural references through the game too I expect. I really like things like that.

The game is pretty rough around the edges but good entertainment so far. Have just done a few missions so far but am definitely going to finish the game. I like the RPG part of it too. Hopefully Deep Silver have made a few quid out of this as I thought that Cursed Mountain was pretty much the last throw of the dice for them, looks like they just managed to scrape together enough cash to release Dead Island. ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #517 on: June 22, 2012, 08:00:42 AM »
nextbox leak
Would be more inclined to believe it if it weren't for the ridiculously low price ($300).

MS lawyers get the leaked doc removed...

Still not entirely convinced its the real thing.. but if so, the Fortaleza glasses sound uber cool !!
And if its 6 times more powerful than the 360.. well thats.. err.. hmm.. 6 times more powerful than the Wii U too !!
Blu Ray is to be expected anyway and in-built DVR would suit me..
Expected price they put £299..

Offline harv

« Reply #518 on: June 22, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »
3 times more powerful than the Wii U ;)

Edit: Nintendo announced the 3DS XL today, looks a bit too big to me personally...doesn't look like it will fit in your pocket which could be a problem for some people. :-\ They've also announced that NSMB 2 will have a million coins to collect lol :o and that it's going to have DLC.

Heroes of Ruin is going to end my Eidos/Square Enix boycott, I downloaded the demo and it's excellent. Very Diablo-esque. Nice 8)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:48:03 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #519 on: June 23, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »
No second circle pad on the 3ds xl.
Nintendo are completely feckless lately.

Offline harv

« Reply #520 on: June 23, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »
It's too big as it is imo, adding another pad will make it bloomin huge :o

They'll have to make another Circle Pad Pro for it now I guess as the original one won't fit. Still, an odd decision by Nintendo not to a second one. :-\

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #521 on: June 23, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
Have just had a quick go on Dead Island for the first time in ages, got a trophy because I hadn't played the game in 28 days or more - nice tribute to 28 Days Later lol. There's probably a few more cultural references through the game too I expect. I really like things like that.

The game is pretty rough around the edges but good entertainment so far. Have just done a few missions so far but am definitely going to finish the game. I like the RPG part of it too. Hopefully Deep Silver have made a few quid out of this as I thought that Cursed Mountain was pretty much the last throw of the dice for them, looks like they just managed to scrape together enough cash to release Dead Island. ;D

I like it too, started almost a few months ago with two mates, but obviously haven't played it too much because progress is dependant on all of us being available at the same time for at least a few hours. Although I think it's a good game, I can definitely understand why people would get bored of it on their own...Alot of the quests are just esentially, "go here, get this and return" and if you're not finding an item for them, you're only finding a person or something...Same shit, different disguise.

Most of the fun comes from the fact you're with 2 mates (in my case anyway) and the general banter and camaraderie of all strolling round killing zombies and progressing deeper into the game. It's still quite a good game, I'm just not sure I'd be enjoying it anywhere near as much if I had ti play it alone though.

Envrionments and enemies are nicely varied and fresh, and even though the quests are all quite samey, you can get alot of different rewards from them that make them worthwhile. Combat is solid, dialogue is iffy....Some people will hate the OTT accents, but I find some of them quite hilarious so I guess that's a positive....?, the skill tree is done excellent, plenty of weapon and mod variety and an engrossing levelling system.

All the negatives are just niggles tbh, aside the awful technical errors that plague the online and connectivity...Sometimes we get into games first time, and sometimes it takes half an hour...Completely kills any urges you had to play when you're taking that long to do something as simple as just get into the same lobby with each other.

It's a shame it got mixed reviews, because most reviewers probably played the whole game alone. It's quite explicitly advertised as a co-op game, and theres no doubt you'd get way more enjoyment out of playing this with a few mates, rather than on your lonesome, so it seems harsh to judge a game on a category that doesn't truly reflect the game at it's best.

I like it though, great fun.

Offline harv

« Reply #522 on: June 23, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
Any game involving killing zombies gets a thumbs up from me, which is why I'm really surprised that I can't seem to get into Dead Rising for some reason. :-\

Left 4 Dead is one of my favourite games released this gen so far but I can see me enjoying ZombiU more because it's more of a survival horror game than an action game. Never would have thought that Ubisoft of all publishers would be releasing a game that showcases the new controller better than any Nintendo title. :o

The Resident Evil Chronicles and House of The Dead franchises are also a favourite of mine, and I'm pretty annoyed that Midway are a bit buggered...I'd love to see a port of CarnEvil, probably my all-time favourite on-rails shooter of all-time. Hate to think how much money I ploughed into that in the arcades!!! Left 4 Dead 2 has a nice level tributed to it though. 8)

Might have to fire up Left 4 Dead 2 again at some point, but it isn't as good as the original imo. The writing on the walls in the safehouses was a nice touch and we didn't see that in the sequel as far as I remember. ;D

Edit: An interesting report on the U from EG's Digital Foundry here. Going by what they've said about the lighting Nintendo may have opted to use Gamecube-esque fixed functions for lighting. Not too sure how popular engines such as Unreal and CryEngine would deal with that though. These engines always deal with lighting themselves so developers will need to do a bit of extra work when porting current gen stuff. I wonder how they've managed to do it..? I guess they've worked with the likes of Epic, Crytek, EA and Capcom to make it work.

What's more interesting is how the next gen engines will deal with things. Now that all 3 platform holders are using the same, radically different architecture compared to current gen it's going to be easier for developers to port to and from the PS4 and 720 than it is to port to and from the PS3 and 360. ???
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:30:52 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #523 on: June 24, 2012, 12:28:04 AM »
Enjoying Rayman Origins at the moment. Nothing radical in the game, you get what you expect - a cute/fun platformer with loads of levels. You can sail through most of the levels, but if you're a completionist you'll need to do each several times over to find/collect everything.
Decent fun, nothing outstanding - a bargain at £13.

Offline harv

« Reply #524 on: June 24, 2012, 04:21:24 AM »
Aaaaaaargh!!! Square Enix, what are you doing to meeeee..?!!?!?!? :o

I downloaded the Kingdom Hearts 3D demo and it's pretty bloody good. Another JRPG that's joined the 21st Century with real-time combat. They've also got Theatre Rhythm Final Fantasy up as a demo too, hopefully I'm not going to like that one too because Heroes of Ruin and Kingdom Hearts are going to end my 4 year boycott of Eidos/Square Enix products lol >:(

They're certainly showing the 3DS plenty of support, will be interesting to see what sort of support Japanese developers are going to give the Wii U, there's a Japanese conference of some sort during the next few weeks, I reckon we're going to see a Monster Hunter title of some description and a Final Fantasy title too to go along with the already confirmed Dragon Quest X. That would give the U in Japan the three biggest franchises, Nintendo won't be able to make the things quick enough lol. They go so mental for those 3 franchises over there that the Japanese government forbid both Capcom and Square Enix to release those games on a working day of the week. :o

Namco Bandai have been confirmed to be working on the new Super Smash Bros. game for the U and 3DS, not too bothered about that myself, gave Brawl a go and wasn't too impressed. Still, Namco Bandai have plenty of experience developing fighting games so I doubt that the majority of people will be disappointed.

Another Edit: Gave Theatre Rhythm a go last night and it's pretty good, makes me wish that Tecmo Koei would release another Gitaroo Man game. I really loved that on the PSP but it didn't sell a great deal, it ended up being a cult classic though. Theatre Rhythm isn't good enough to add my third Square Enix title though. ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:12:56 PM by harv »