https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662671 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #540 on: June 26, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
Not on the same console. ;)

If they've managed to enable people to play two games at once on the same console then that would be pretty huge...but you're going to need a ridiculous amount of power to do that, noj even the grunt behind the 720 will allow that to happen. :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #541 on: June 26, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
Why would you want to simultaneously be able to play 2 games at once....Seems incredibly counter productive to me, I wouldn't be able to keep focus on both games at once.

Even if you could have two people playing different games at once, it would still be incredibly distracting to be fully focused on your own game. Seems like an awful idea, and if Sony ever did that with a Playstation, I'd be facepalming hard.

Chris

« Reply #542 on: June 26, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
off topic but meh

Over the last few weeks, google chrome has stopped saving passwords even when the 'remember me' box has been checked. gone into the settings and everything is as it should be, also uninstalled then reinstalled but still no fix.

SL is unaffected, FB, 106oc, even ebay and autotrader mean i have to log in/change settings etc everytime i turn my computer on.

any suggestions?

Offline harv

« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
Why would you want to simultaneously be able to play 2 games at once....Seems incredibly counter productive to me, I wouldn't be able to keep focus on both games at once.

Even if you could have two people playing different games at once, it would still be incredibly distracting to be fully focused on your own game. Seems like an awful idea, and if Sony ever did that with a Playstation, I'd be facepalming hard.

You obviously don't have kids lol

And of course it will be for 2 different people unless you want to control the second GamePad with your feet.

I can't see it happening anyway, you'd need a ridiculous amount of power to make that possible...even for having one person playing a retail game and the other person playing a NES or SNES game. And it wouldn't be distracting at all if one of the people is using the headphone socket on the GamePad. ;)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #544 on: June 27, 2012, 06:40:27 AM »
Just got up and Dawnguard is downloading!! Buzzzzzzz

Offline jman

« Reply #545 on: June 27, 2012, 07:40:21 AM »
Getting a bit bored of Fight Night 4 in Legacy mode.. the training sessions are just stupidly hard to master.. one mistake and its hard to champion any of them, which means slow gains in your boxers attributes... which means harder fights... my fights seem to always go the full distance too... think I'll start Legacy again, but on a different weight and also make sure I do auto-training all the time (except on the one training mode I am actually good at).

Must get back to Prince of Persia soon too.. was enjoying that before I switched to FN4.

Will probably forget about both of them when Lego Harry Potter 2 turns up though lol.

Offline Late

« Reply #546 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Surf the internet, read a book, or play a game on a tablet, whilst someone else plays a game on their TV?
Wow, wonders will never cease.

(Harv, we can all do that now...
We can even take the tablet out of the house and continue to use it, if we're so inclined...)

Not on the same console. ;)
You say that like it's a good thing. It's not.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #547 on: June 27, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
How can playing 2 games on the same console at the same time not be a good thing to someone with kids..? Will save plenty of sulking. I can't see it happening myself because even if it's a retail game and VC game you're going to need a ridiculous amount of power under the hood just to get the sound working right let alone anything else. :o

I think that  Nintendo are going to concentrate more on players freeing up the telly so that housewives can watch crappy reality telly whilst their dudebro other halves can continue to play Call of Duty or FIFA uninterrupted.

Offline Late

« Reply #548 on: June 27, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
How can playing 2 games on the same console at the same time not be a good thing to someone with kids..? Will save plenty of sulking. I can't see it happening myself because even if it's a retail game and VC game you're going to need a ridiculous amount of power under the hood just to get the sound working right let alone anything else. :o
You're making out playing one game on a tablet controller and one game on tv/console would be amazing, and I'm saying we can already do that with a console and a tablet/phone - things most folk have lying around already.
I'm not saying the ability to play two games simultaneously on two different devices isn't a good thing. It's great. But it's something we've always been able to do - and tbh we've always been able to do it better than we would with Nintendo's potential upcoming solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
BTW if you think you'd have an end to sulking and bickering amongst the kids if one gets to play on the tv and one on a handheld device then you don't have much idea about kids. ;)

I think that  Nintendo are going to concentrate more on players freeing up the telly so that housewives can watch crappy reality telly whilst their dudebro other halves can continue to play Call of Duty or FIFA uninterrupted.
If you're happy to give up your high def gaming on the big screen to instead play on a crappy SD handheld display so your wife can watch soaps or reality tv then you're no gamer - and if you're playing cod on an sd display you'll be at a massive disadvantage.
("Dudebros" can have wives btw?)
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #549 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »
The difference is in the software, and if Miiverse takes off (and I can see it being huge), the online infrastructure ;)

And as for the display it's an ED display, not an SD display. And all hands-on reports have praised the IQ of the GamePad saying that there's very little difference in quality between gaming on a HD screen and gaming on the GamePad. You should be able to play the likes of Call of Duty without a problem. All you need to do is look at the demoes of Rayman Legends to see how good the display is.

Offline jman

« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »
I was gonna say.. why the hell would I let my other half watch total shite on my huge tv with surround sound so I can be confined to a small display and terrible sound on a gamepad?.. LOL... its a feature that would come in handy if it was a last resort - not nintendos future plans lol.... do you know what you call gaming that is not done on a tv.. handheld gaming.. I think you'll find nintendo are already in that market..  ::)

And who cant see arguments between kids happening when they both want to be the player with the gamepad.. and there is only one gamepad... and the reason there is only one gamepad is because they are bloody expensive and there are no 2 gamepad games developed because nintendo didnt have the foresight to think that actually people might actually want to play together at the same time!!!  If there is no tv available.. how do you play a 2player local game... oh wait..you cant.. the fact that nintendo are LIMITING the way you play games just highlights what a poor overall design it all is

(God knows the amount of fighting me and my brothers had over one of the old megadrive controllers because it had turbo functions and switches and played a lot better than a standard one  "Mummm, he wont let me have the turbo controller".... usually ended up with  "Right Im not playing anymore!"... :D )

Offline Late

« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
The difference is in the software, and if Miiverse takes off (and I can see it being huge), the online infrastructure ;)
The difference is in the software? What sort of reply is that? You've completely ignored the point I'm making and made some irrelevant comment instead.
The difference is in the limitations. With a tablet the things you can do are incredible. With a wii controller the things you can do are extremely limited, and you can't wander too far from the console.

And as for the display it's an ED display, not an SD display.
You think ED is better than SD, but you don't think HD is better?
ED has 18% more pixels than SD. Which is a step up, but not much of one.
HD has six times as many pixels as SD.
SD (720×480) = 0.35 million pixels
ED (852 × 480) = 0.41 million pixels
HD (1920×1080) = 2.07 million pixels.

That's not an invitation for you to start with your pixel density bollocks, which is completely irrelevant and you clearly don't understand.

And all hands-on reports have praised the IQ of the GamePad saying that there's very little difference in quality between gaming on a HD screen and gaming on the GamePad.
Anyone who thinks 0.4 megapixel is the same quality as 2.1 megapixel is an idiot. Don't trust them. Don't associate with them any more. When they spout such nonsense please feel free to raise one eyebrow (if you're lucky enough that you can do that), slowly shake your head, and walk away from them - perhaps muttering insults under your breath at their glaring ineptitude.

You should be able to play the likes of Call of Duty without a problem.
Talking out of your arse, son.
I was massively into COD at the time when I finally upgraded from SD to 720p. The difference is incredible - you can see the enemy much more easily. 1080p is even better (though I've only played at that resolution when I had my 360 hooked up to the computer monitor).
If you're playing on a standard definition screen and your opponents are playing on high definition screens you're screwed.

All you need to do is look at the demoes of Rayman Legends to see how good the display is.
(I'm loath to call anyone "dude", but I feel it's warranted on this occasion...)
Seriously, dude? You're comparing Rayman with Call of Duty now?
You don't need to be constantly looking around a virtual 3d environment for a tiny movement in a window or bush which will mean your imminent death.
(The Rayman demo looked fairly pretty, btw, but aside from slightly improved lighting it didn't look significantly different to the Rayman Origins game I've been playing for the last week or so. It's main difference is that nfc crap - and nobody in their right mind wants to clutter their gaming area up with loads of little collectible figurines that make shit happen when you put them near your controller. It's a gimmick, and a bad one at that. But I digress...)

Take a look at this comparison between SD and HD. At a glance you might think there's barely any difference. But HD means significantly more detail. For instance, if you take a closer look at the crowd near the scoreboard, surely even you can see there's a massive difference. If you're playing something like Rayman on SD while your friends are on HD versions it's not going to make much difference.
If you're playing something like COD or Battlefield, though, you're screwed...

Offline Late

« Reply #552 on: June 28, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »
Circle pad pro xl now confirmed.
Half the time I wonder if Nintendo are a pack of feckless idiots.
The other half I wonder if they do these things on purpose, to maximise income. (e.g. sell the 3ds, sell the circle pad pro, then sell the 3dsi which includes an integrated second pad...)

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #553 on: June 28, 2012, 02:02:25 PM »
Harv doesn't like answering points. He simply copies and pastes his info and "knowledge" from NeoGAF and other forums here. That explains why he has trouble discussing the detail.

Offline harv

« Reply #554 on: June 28, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »
Of course the difference is in the software. It's not going to happen anyway, even for VC games imo, but if it were possible having you playing Call of Duty on your GamePad, having your missus watching crappy reality telly on the HDTV and a kid playing NSMB U is more attractive than playing games on a smartphone or tablet. And even if you think that the quality of games on smartphones and tablets is good enough you've got to take into account the better control options that the GamePad gives you. Proper sticks and buttons. :o

And like I've said, I'm going on every hands-on report I've read regarding the IQ of the display. People using the things have said there's very little drop in IQ when switching from a HDTV display and the subscreen and that it's very difficult to spot individual pixels. Given the hands-on reports you shouldn't have any problem playing the likes of Call of Duty and spotting enemies at long distance.

Feel free to find a comment from anybody complaining about the display IQ and prove me wrong, but I personally haven't seen anything but positive and glowing reports.

And I remember one of you complaining that you were having problems with your missus watching crap on the telly a while back and either interrupting your gaming or relegating your gaming to a different room. Won't be a problem with the U. ;)