https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662990 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #555 on: June 28, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
Of course the difference is in the software. It's not going to happen anyway, even for VC games imo, but if it were possible having you playing Call of Duty on your GamePad, having your missus watching crappy reality telly on the HDTV and a kid playing NSMB U is more attractive than playing games on a smartphone or tablet. And even if you think that the quality of games on smartphones and tablets is good enough you've got to take into account the better control options that the GamePad gives you. Proper sticks and buttons. :o
Fine, if you don't like the control methods on a tablet, pretend it's a ds or vita instead.
I restate - two people playing two different games on two different machines (one on the tv and one on a handheld) is nothing to shout about and is something we can all do already - and can all do better than you could with the U if that rumour were to come to fruition.
You seem to be under the misapprehension that if this did happen the U doing all the calculations for both machines (console and handheld) would be better than the two devices doing their own. It wouldn't be. It'd just be restrictive. The U is already underpowered - it can't afford to forgo part of it's processing power like that.

And like I've said, I'm going on every hands-on report I've read regarding the IQ of the display. People using the things have said there's very little drop in IQ when switching from a HDTV display and the subscreen and that it's very difficult to spot individual pixels.
You're arguing with the laws of physics, Harv. The image quality of something with less pixels can not possibly be anywhere near as good as something with six times as many pixels, when both are at normal viewing distances.

Given the hands-on reports you shouldn't have any problem playing the likes of Call of Duty and spotting enemies at long distance.
You'll have a vague idea of where they are just after they've shot you.
You're not great with the laws of physics, are you.
If you read on one of your fanboy forums that owners of a wii u will be able to light candles underwater you'd come on here and spout that rubbish, wouldn't you, instead of actually engaging braincells...

Feel free to find a comment from anybody complaining about the display IQ and prove me wrong, but I personally haven't seen anything but positive and glowing reports.
(Feel free to find me a report that says the U won't enable it's owner to light candles underwater.)
We've been here before. Just because lots of people say the picture quality is fairly impressive doesn't mean they think it looks like high def. Anyone who does think it looks like HD needs to get their eyes checked.
It's impossible to retain image quality when you lose over 80% of your pixels. Seriously, Harv - I can't believe you're arguing that the image quality would be comparable. It's physically impossible!
To which you're now tempted to reply with something brainless along the lines of "I don't know how they did it, but they did - everyone says the picture quality's fantastic".
Seriously - I don't care how clever you think those clever chaps at Nintendo are - they can't defy the laws of physics.

And I remember one of you complaining that you were having problems with your missus watching crap on the telly a while back and either interrupting your gaming or relegating your gaming to a different room. Won't be a problem with the U. ;)
Once again - if you switch your gaming from the big telly to a handheld you're going to lose a lot of detail.
Better the wife sods off to watch Corrie on the gamepad while the bloke plays his games on the high def tv.

They'll be able to do that, right?...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #556 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:09 PM »
The stupid thing about it is the fact I'd have to share a gaming experience with someone...It's actually a very backwards method of gaming for the day and age were in, imo.

Forget about specs, and tablets, and fnarging pixel density....The fact that I'd have to demote myself to a gamepad and vacate my 42" HD TV is nothing but a backwards step for my gaming experiences...The only time I want to associate with people when I'm gaming is through an internet connection using seperate consoles. If you genuinely think chopping the screen in half, or using a secondary display that is 10 times smaller is the way forward, or in any way an enhancement to your gaming experience, then you're bonkers.

It's quite ironic how Harv chimes on about the hardcore market...You think hardcore gamers would take kindly to this sort of thing? "Oh yeah, I'll just move aside and let the missus watch Emmerdale, after all, I've got my swanky Gamepad to continue slaughtering people and prestiging on!"

Get real, it's very much a family orientated idea, just more evidence Nintendo aren't gonna stray from their roots.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:53:21 PM by AVFCRoss »

Offline harv

« Reply #557 on: June 28, 2012, 04:08:32 PM »
Late, I'm just going on reports from the gaming media with regards to the quality of the screen display, not fanboys on forums. Once it hits the market you'll have fanboys on forums agreeing with the gaming media journalists. They've said there's very little difference in quality when switching from a HDTV to the subscreen. This isn't me making things up.

And one of you did complain about the missus interrupting your gaming a while back. ;)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #558 on: June 28, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
Laws. Of. Physics.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #559 on: June 28, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
Reactions. From. Gaming. Journalists.

I'm quite surprised by the positive feedback myself tbh. Although to be fair the image quality is going to be helped by the size of the screen.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #560 on: June 29, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »
Just a question.. has Call of Duty even been announced for the Wii U yet ?  ;)  ;D ;D

Dont get too far ahead of yourself again harv.. remember when you said you couldnt wait to get Resident Evil 6 at launch for the Wii U - you'll be waiting a while on that one too Im afraid  ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:19:07 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #561 on: June 29, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
This is Activision we're talking about here, they'd port it to a pocket calculator if they could get away with it lol. They've brought Call of Duty to the Wii, so I can't see the U being any different tbh. There are still announcements to come from third parties before launch, EA are announcing 2 U games next month...although there are rumours that Dead Space 3 for the U has been cancelled, but I'm not buying that on any platform now that EA have decided to 'do a Capcom' and ruin the franchise. >:(

We're going to hear about Japanese publishers' plans for the U during the next couple of months too.

Offline Late

« Reply #562 on: June 29, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
Laws. Of. Physics.
Reactions. From. Gaming. Journalists.
;D You say that like you've played a trump card.
Guess which one of those two quotes is grounded in immutable fact; and which is an opinion and completely subject to change at a whim...

...the image quality is going to be helped by the size of the screen.

Offline jman

« Reply #563 on: June 29, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
Well you'd of hoped the Wii U would get more than 2 EA games harv since theres Fifa, Madden, NHL, NBA, Tiger Woods, NFS, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Medal of Honour.. and so on and so on... seems a bit poor just getting "2" games.. but we'll see...

lol, love that gif late.. sums up talking to harv (about anything) perfectly  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #564 on: June 29, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
FIFA, Madden and Mass Effect 3 have already been confirmed, they're bringing 5 titles to the platform. Two of which have been unannounced ;)

I'm still highly pissed off that they've decided to ruinthe Dead Space franchise though. It's one of my favourite franchises released this gen. >:(

Offline jman

« Reply #565 on: June 29, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »
Well if they reveal two next month.. they will be sports games.. as its EA Sports Open House... and its only a couple of unannounced game comment came from being asked why they only showed 1 Wii U game at E3.. well Fifa and Madden weren't announced nor shown at E3.. so I wouldnt be too sure that theres going to be 5 in total.. that hasnt been confirmed in the slightest.. still even with 5 that would be a pretty poor amount considering I named 9 off the top of my head..

Offline harv

« Reply #566 on: June 29, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
FIFA and Madden were announced at E3 2011, I think that Microsoft may have had E3 exclusivity on EA Sports titles as they didn't get a look in at Sony's conference either. Even if it's only 5 launch window titles that's still quite respectable, developers and publishers only have so many resources to go around.

There's also an unnamed CryEngine 3 title on the way, no news on the developers or publisher yet though.

The U's launch and launch window lineup is looking pretty good imo, and that's before we know about anything from Japanese publishers.

Two big first party titles in Pikmin 3 and NSMB U, new IPs from first and third parties such as Project P-100 and ZombiU, big name third party titles such as Assassins Creed 3, Aliens Colonial Marines, Sega All Star Racing, and late ports (which certainly didn't do the PS3 any harm) with improvements such as Arkham City and especially Ninja Gaiden 3, the Betrayalton of the latter has been particularly amusing lol. And casual titles such as Just Dance 4 with exclusive content.

The support from Ubisoft has been marginally better than EA with 7 or 8 titles during launch and launch window but EA having 5 titles is pretty impressive.

Offline styles

« Reply #567 on: July 02, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
Bit of skyrim last night. My character has definitely reached a point where dying happens rarely, saves loads of time on saves!

Mopping up all the miscellaneous quests before getting back on main story.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #568 on: July 02, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
I've just bought Samurai Sword Destiny and Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch! from the 3DS eShop and they're both pretty good. The former is a '2D' side scrolling hack and slash with RPG elements and the 3D effects are probably the best I've seen on an eShop game so far, plenty of good pop out and nice depth. Can't believe it has such a low Metascore, 55, it deserves better than that from what I've seen so far. The latter is crazy golf and whilst it doesn't have a great deal of content you still get good value for money.

I've noticed that this portable gen the majority of reviews have rather harsh review scores on both the 3DS and Vita. Very strange. To get a fair review score for 3DS and Vita games you have to add anywhere between 5 and 10 percent for some reason. :-\

Offline jman

« Reply #569 on: July 02, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
Done with Fight Night Round 4 now.. just the online achievements I couldnt be arsed to get...

Started HP:Y5-7 and got bored after 1 level.. oh I dont know why I bother with these lego games sometimes... not in the mood to play them at all now  >:(  Back to Prince of Persia for a bit I think.