https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Amazon Fire TV  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Late

Amazon Fire TV
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
It's been on the cards for a while, and now Amazon have announced their new android-based console.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

Re: Amazon Fire TV
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:03:45 PM »
Fire TV is a tiny box that plugs into your HDTV. It's the easiest way to enjoy Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, low-cost video rentals, and more. With instant access to over 200,000 TV episodes and movies, plus all your favorite subscriptions and streaming services, you can watch what you want, when you want. If you're a Prime member, you get unlimited access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including exclusives like Downton Abbey, The Americans, Alpha House, and Under the Dome.

Fire TV has voice search that actually works. The old way of searching with a TV remote—scrolling and clicking one letter at a time on an alphabet grid—is painful. With Fire TV you simply speak the title, actor, or genre into the remote and you're done.

Fire TV may be tiny on the outside, but it has huge hardware specs on the inside. It has a powerful quad-core processor, dedicated GPU, 2 GB of memory, and dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi. With a fast, fluid interface, high definition 1080p video, and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, Fire TV looks—and sounds—amazing. We also added an exclusive new feature called ASAP that predicts what movies and TV episodes you'll want to watch and gets them ready to stream instantly. No one likes waiting for videos to buffer.

As a bonus, we also added games. With Fire TV you can play blockbuster titles like Minecraft, The Walking Dead, Monsters University, the Amazon exclusive Sev Zero, plus great free games. There are over a hundred titles to explore, with thousands more coming soon. These games are a great value—the average price of paid games is only $1.85.

Obviously this is the US version:

Amazon Fire Game Controller
Enjoy many games with the included remote or take your gaming to the next level with the new Amazon Fire Game Controller—a dedicated wireless game controller designed to take you deeper into the action. With all the controls a gamer would expect, including dual analog sticks, media controls, and lighted player indicators, it’s the best way to enjoy gaming on Amazon Fire TV. Sold separately.

Mirror your tablet on your HDTV
Share movies, TV shows, music, and even photos playing on your tablet with everyone in your living room. What you see on your Kindle Fire HDX display is exactly what you’ll see on your big screen. Control the display from your tablet—one simple command is all it takes to let Amazon Fire TV know when to start mirroring and when to stop.

GizmodoUK info

Amazon.com link

$99 in the States.
No info on UK pricing yet but I imagine it's probably £99.

Controller sold separately, for about £35?

TBH I think they're trying to fill a gap in the market that doesn't exist.
OUYA and Gamestick both tried and failed.
If it were £99 including controller and had full access to Google Play then I might have been interested. But that was never going to happen - it was always likely to use their own bastardised version of android, as with their tablets.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:10:04 PM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
So to play the games you need to buy a specific branded controller.. its dead in the water.

Offline harv

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
It's going to fail miserably.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever