https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Android micro-consoles  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Late

Android micro-consoles
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »
Google have announced they're bringing out an android o/s for TVs. They'll sell controllers (which look very similar to most dual analogue controllers), and set-top boxes - but the set-top boxes won't be necessary on lots of future TVs, which will include the necessary tech in their innards.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

Re: Android micro-consoles
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »
My plasma doesn't have a touch-screen, but it will if I get this?*
Sweet - that'll make playing Bloons TD awesome! :D

I'm torn. I want the capability to play my android stuff on the big screen (without casting or cabling from hand-held device) but I don't know that I'd actually use it. It'd be one of those things where I'd marvel at it for an hour or two then stick it in a cupboard and forget about it.

It's obviously better suited to some games and apps than others. The aforementioned tower-defence game wouldn't benefit from being on the big screen, but naturally it's great for film/tv, and many games would benefit (quizzes, platformers, and driving games spring immediately to mind).
How well playing Rayman on an android device on the big screen stacks up against playing Rayman on a traditional console is another matter, though. And I doubt Asphalt can really compete with Forza/Gran Turismo etc.

It's definitely dire news for ouya/gamestick/etc. though. If you want android on your tv and you have a choice between something that's got access to google play and all of the content you've already bought, or something that has it's own bespoke marketplace with a severely limited number of apps and a blank purchase history then it's a no-brainer - even if this costs a little more than the competition.

Which it shouldn't, tbh. Google should be able to knock these out cheaper than their rivals, thanks to their deals with any number of electronics manufacturers, and they can save on licences. And of course they're not adverse to putting devices out at very low margin (possibly at a loss?) to ensure they get a massive market share (I'm thinking of their Nexus lines - which I have in mind they originally sold at a loss, but I'm not certain of that).

The whole thing would probably benefit massively from android games using cloud saves, though, if that's possible. I'd be much more inclined to play my android games on the big screen if I knew I could continue from where I'm up to on my phone/tablet rather than having to start afresh...

*Not serious about the touch screen!
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

Re: Android micro-consoles
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »
Unless it's as cheap as chips it's going to fail as hard as Ouya. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever