https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 3008 times)

Offline jman

Board Games
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
Anyone into board games... I wouldn't say I'm a fanatic.. but I have played a wide variety in my time.

Obviously the generic ones like Monopoly/Cluedo, etc etc, probably everyone has played... to be honest, I rarely play these at all.

I play quite a lot with my dad.. he has a bit of collection, he's trying to downsize, but I'd say he has at least 75 games in his house at present....  and Ingenious is probably our most played.. best with 3-4 players.  The reason I like is, its easy to play.. I would say its 40% luck mixed with 60% skill/judgment so its not always the best player that wins.. plus it doesn't take an age to play.. would definitely recommend if you are on the lookout for a different type of board game.

Another oldie we still play from time to time is Shark which is a stock trading game.. we haven't got the edition I linked to, but the Ravensburger edition instead.. same game, slight variation on the board/rules.. but we've been playing this one since the 80's.. so the lasting appeal is immense.  We don't play it too much these days as its best played with 4 players.. and we usually only have 3.. plus it can take up to 2 hours to complete a game - it can cause big arguments aswell as it can create a lot of risky scenarios for each player.  My dad lost his original board game, it took a while, but I managed to track a copy down (still in its shrink wrapping) in Germany and paid them £40 to import it across - totally worth it.

Ticket to Ride is a bit more family friendly and a bit more mainstream than the previous two as its been released on various consoles and phones.

I was reading some post on facebook earlier though and went to a website talking about the 80's and found a board game I completely forgot about.. my dad did have it at one point.. I haven't got a clue what happened to it..but I remember it being so much fun to play when I was younger.. I've just gone and bought it from ebay - Escape From Atlantis - they just don't do many board games like this anymore with proper playing pieces.. I cant wait to be able to play it again.  They've done a few revisions since this one came out but I decided to stick with the old.

The website also talked of other classics such as Hero Quest/Space Hulk/Ghost Castle/Crossbows and Catapults.. some of them (especially Space Hulk - which we actually had) - go for in excess for £150-£200 for a decent condition set on ebay  :o

The oldest game we have is Hats Off - 1968 - unfortunately being a game where you have to catapult cones into a hole.. a lot of the pieces are missing lol
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:45:33 PM by jman »

Offline harv

Re: Board Games
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
Monopoly is always good...although when I was a kid my brother used to cheat. >:( :(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever