https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: A Real Jurassic Park Soon..?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline harv

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

Re: A Real Jurassic Park Soon..?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »
A big leap from sequencing a genome and cloning an entire organism, without even trying to consider large numbers of them.

There would be massive problems in trying to recover a species from limited individual DNA samples (if they even have more than one viable sample). 

If you're just cloning what would effectively be twins for the sake of a theme park, as in the films, completely unethical. Also, if a species has become extinct through natural processes, rather than anthropogenic causes, I'm not sure I'd support the reintroduction of a species, as it would be another step in screwing up existing ecosystems.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »
Screw the ethics, it would be too cool to even think about ethics lol ;D

I'm not saying that they're going to be able to do this tomorrow, but they may be able to do this during the next 20 years or so.

Just a shame they can't get DNA from fossils >:( :'(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
Ethics aside, limited DNA samples (assuming they have DNA from more than one individual) would lead to all kinds of genetic problems with the cloned animals when it came to try to breed a viable population.

As for DNA from fossils, I have to chuckle at that one. Coming out of my exam for the Evolution (evolutionary biology) module of my degree, another student was informing us they'd basically written something about obtaining DNA from fossils. Should have seen their face drop when I pointed out what fossils actually are and that a true fossil would have no DNA.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:51:20 PM by Dragontao »
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:37:13 PM »
Thinking about it, you won't need to breed any...just clone sterile ones and clone more as needed lol...although it would be interesting to see if any bred baby Woolly Mammoths were any good at playing the banjo lmfao :o ;D