https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: How Fast Is Your Internet Connection..?  (Read 29138 times)

Offline harv

How Fast Is Your Internet Connection..?
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:40:31 AM »
I've got a 10 Mbps connection but am upping that to 60 Mbps 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Connection..?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:42 AM »

10meg (usually around 9.9).

God bless Virgin. Terrible customer service on the rare occasion you need to phone them, but when things are running well (which is the vast majority of time) you do get the speed they're selling you.
Gets doubled later this year. I'm more than happy with my current speeds - allows me to download ridiculous amounts of film/tv - but I'm not complaining at them doubling it for free again 8)

Edit:
Out of interest, I've just checked the speed on my office computer - which is also on a 10mb package (via Tiscalli).
Download speed 6.23 meg, upload 0.81.
Damn but that's poor (though in it's defence there's 3 other people in the office at the moment and I've no idea if they're online.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:49:20 PM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:01 AM »
They probably won't double it for free though, last time they increased the price a little as far as I remember. Only a fiver or so if I remember correctly. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline larry

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
I get a misserable 4.6meg >:(

Joys of living in the sticks, im waiting for BT infinity to become available. The town where i live has it, but its not yet at my exchange that is only 40metres away, so should see a vast improvment when we get it!  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
They probably won't double it for free though, last time they increased the price a little as far as I remember. Only a fiver or so if I remember correctly. ;D
Initially I was on 150k connection (about ten years back) but pretty soon they gave a free upgrade to 300k. I've never changed package - they just doubled the speed (for free) every year or two.

From time to time they put their prices up a little but the timing's never near to the timing of a speed boost, and is never excessive. It's easy to argue that the upgrade isn't free - but I'm no mug and the price increases seem fair.
I think I was paying £15 per month a decade ago for 150k, and I'm currently paying £23, so as indicated earlier - I'm very happy with the service.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
I have the 20 Mb Virgin package, though they are supposed to be upping that to 30 Mb for free. To be honest, 20 Mb is more than enough for what I use it for. I don't upload vast amounts of data, so don't need a fast upload speed.

The only thing I'd invest in is a monthly outlay on a proxy server service if the Government bring in these snooping laws, which they say is to stop serious crime. In fact it would be a good time to start running a proxy server business lol.

I won't go into an in depth rant on my thoughts on that poposed legislation and the Government's complete and utter lies. They don't even protect us from petty criminals. The government's claims are an absolute joke and their trumped up reasoning to try and justify it is so flawed and full of holes, not to mention the fact that it won't stop serious crime as only the most stupid would be caught.

Anyway ... I'll stop now ...  >:(
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
Yup, I've been with Virgin for years...back when it was Telewest. Also had Cable TV at another address with Cable London, think it might be the same company before they changed their name again but I will stand to be corrected.

I went with Telewest because that was the only way I could get an internet connection without a BT phone line. I've been boycotting BT for years since they cut me off before sending me a red bill a week later. I still haven't paid it, they can sack my cook. :o

Offline Late

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
I went with Telewest because that was the only way I could get an internet connection without a BT phone line.
Pretty much ditto. I went with ntl (as it was then) because it meant I could get rid of the landline - though I wanted shot of mine because it never got used rather than any bill dispute. Landlines are a completely outdated idea these days. I'll put them in the same category as wristwatches - fantastic inventions, and incredibly useful in their day, but their day was over a decade or two back... I've had no use for either since I got my first mobile phone.

Offline harv

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »
Yup, the only reason why I have my landline is because my doctors has one of those bloody 0844 numbers which would cost a fortune on my mobile. I don't really use it apart from that. I don't even have my phone plugged in because Georgie chews through the phone cable lol. ;D

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
I went with Telewest because that was the only way I could get an internet connection without a BT phone line.
Pretty much ditto. I went with ntl (as it was then) because it meant I could get rid of the landline - though I wanted shot of mine because it never got used rather than any bill dispute. Landlines are a completely outdated idea these days. I'll put them in the same category as wristwatches - fantastic inventions, and incredibly useful in their day, but their day was over a decade or two back... I've had no use for either since I got my first mobile phone.

Wouldn't get rid of my landline. I hate mobiles. Plus the fact they turn people into complete ignoramuses (if that's the plural of ignoramus, or is an ignoramus like a hippopotamus? lol)). People walk along texting without looking where they're going and then complain when you walk into them. The amount of times I've had some prat cut me up or do something else stupid using one while they're driving. Then there's people who hold up queues in shops because they decide to take a call. Then they get indignant when told to eff off to the back of the queue if they want to take their call. Another pet hate is people who come round to visit you then spend half the evening texting other people on the phone. I have on occasion just told them to leave and visit the person they're texting.

As for people in cinemas. I don't care if your phone is on silent, that light I see shinging in the corner of my eye just winds me right up.

It's not good for me to get wound up, I have anger issues. lol.

Only ever use them for calls in an emergency.

My total virgin bill is arounf £45 per month, which includes free phone national calls anytime, XL TV package, Plus my 20 Mb, soon to be 30 Mb, broadband.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »
Yup I have the same deal as you drags.. except I dont have the tv package, the extra channels were really not worth the extra £5-£10 a month for me

Offline Late

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
£11 per month mobile contract gives me 1200 texts, 500 mins, 250mb, a new £100-£150 phone for free every 18 months,  plus other stuff. In reality I use around 10 mins and 15 texts. Phone off in cinemas, hospitals etc.. and the chances of one of my calls or texts occuring while someone else is around is slim ;)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
I currently have a sim only deal, rolling 1 month contract, with O2. £10.00 a month for 600 mins ( I usually use zero lol), unlimited texts, I maybe use 100 max, and 500 mb internet as a bolt on for an extra £5.

I don't need a new phone every year to 18 months, happy with my HTC desire which is unlocked. Not worried about having the latest phone, as long as it does what it needs to do, that's good for me. There's always cheap options for getting phones, when they are nearing the end of their production. The good thing about that is, you're normally aware of the bugs that exist then.

Currently looking at what's out there.

Orange are doing a sim only, 150 minutes, 500 texts and 250 mb for £7.00 a month (12 month contract)
300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500 mb for £10.50, 12 month contract.

Three are doing a 12 month sim only for £10 a month, 300 minutes, 3000 texts and 1 Gb data. Or a 30 day rolling contract at £10 per month, 100 minutes (more than enough for me), 3000 texts and 1 Gb data (or 300 minutes instead for £12 per month). Or a 12 month contract with 300 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data for £15. Although I'd like to see the small print in their policy for what they consider unlimited data as fair use.

Virgin are now doing a sim only 30 day rolling contract with 125 mins, 2500 texts and 250 Mb data for £7.00 a month Edit: as a Virgin media customer that's 125 minutes, 5000 texts and 500 Mb for £7.00 a month. I don't think I'm going to find anything better than that. Or 250 minutes, 2500 texts and 500 mb for £10.00 per month. They are now using the T-mobile and Orange networks so their coverage should have improved.

So I'm going to ring O2 up th the next week and see if they are willing to offer me what I'm getting now for £10.00 a month or match what Virgin are offering. You can usually negotiate some kind of deal with mobile operators, none of their tariffs seem set in stone, though they do try and con you into signing up for longer contracts with incentives but I like the freedom of just being able to drop it at a months notice.

I probably wouldn't ever go back to Vodafone (their deals don;t seem too good at the moment for what I'm looking for anyway) after the problems I had with their customer service last time I was with them, or the idiots at Three, who told me that what they were offering was the best they could do when I enquired about an upgrade, until I asked for my PAC code, then they rang me up with a better offer, by which time I'd already agreed a better offer with O2. I pointed out that they'd basically lied to me when they said their previous offer was the best they could do, so I couldn't trust them.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:29:25 AM by Dragontao »

Offline harv

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 01:50:32 AM »
Having a new phone every 18-24 months is handy for me because I can end up with a spare one, sell it or give it to one of my mates if they need one and can't afford to buy one or don't fancy a contract. Think I'm going to keep my HTC Desire HD as a spare, not too sure when my contract is up though tbh.

I'm with Three at the moment because at the time my credit rating wasn't too clever and they were the only provider that would give me a contract lol.

Might go for another HTC phone I think because I quite like the Desire HD. ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
I've never paid a penny for a phone. My old phone goes to either my mate or my wife. The last one, and the current one (which I'm due to change in a month or so) both to my mate for around £40 each - which is a great deal for him, and saves me arsing about on ebay (the phones being worth around £60 to £100).
A new handset every 18 months isn't essential, but I don't like to fall too far behind - and of course the phones I get aren't top end ones. You might get fancy phones for free when you're paying £30 or more a month - not so much when you're paying a tenner a month ;) . The average and low end phones will be offered to me for free, the top end ones will require I pay about half the price of the handset - which is fair enough, and still means I'm getting a £400 phone for £200 plus £11 a month.

Thanks for that summary of offers, Drags - will come in handy when I renegotiate with Orange soon. My contract is to 3 August, and I'm able to upgrade phone after 5 May, and I like to know what the opposition can offer when I phone Orange cancellations. Tends to result in them offering me an improved contract each time ;)