https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Telly Thread  (Read 170536 times)

Offline harv

The Telly Thread
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
Have just started to watch a programme called The Killing. Saw the pilot that was two episodes long and didn't think much of it but thought I'd persevere. Just finished episode 3 and it's started to grow on me. :D

Have also downloaded Game of Thrones so will check that out when I've finished watching The Killing.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline davo

• Marching on Together. Leeds Leeds Leeds
Re: The Telly Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »
Not seen the Killing. Watched Game of Thrones last year. It was a bit weird in parts, but overall it was pretty good and I would recommend it. Looking forward to Season 2.

US TV shows that I am following at the mo include:

Big Bang Theory
Dexter
Modern Family
Fringe
How I Met Your Mother
The Walking Dead

Offline harv

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »
If you start watching it don't be put off by the pilot, it drags on a bit but improves as it goes on. Am on episode 5 now and am really enjoying it. It's got plenty of big names in it which is why I gave it an extra chance. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
Not seen the Killing. Watched Game of Thrones last year. It was a bit weird in parts, but overall it was pretty good and I would recommend it. Looking forward to Season 2.

Second series of Game of Thrones starts in the US on 1st April (or thereabouts). Excellent series based on an excellent set of books.

Fringe may or may not get a 5th Season.

Looking increasingly likely that Terra Nove will get axed, along with Alcatraz, which doesn't look like it will get past it's initial 13 episode order.

Now there's another general thread, I think we need to get these film, telly, music and games threads moved there, if there's a mod or admin reading.  :D
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:55 AM »
I've been watching old epsiodes of Jonathan Creek recently, great show, although did lose a bit of steam in the last series when Caroline Quentin buggered off...

Offline harv

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »
I don't know what it is about her but there's something about her that gives me the right horn :o

Just 3 weeks away from The Walking Dead second series finishing, can't wait to watch it cos I love a bit of zombie goodness ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »
The Killing was waaay too slow for my taste. I watched the first 5 or 6 eps then gave up - it just wasn't moving forwards. Seemed to be they'd written a 4 parter then decided to stretch it to a 13 part series by putting a load of completely irrelevant guff in the middle.
Not sure if the original (Swedish?) was the same, but I know it was very highly rated.
In the end I gave up, then read a synopsis of the final episode online, to save myself about six hours. To be fair, the end sounded good. Just a shame the middle of the story dragged on way too much.

Shame Terra Nova's failing. I quite like it, as do the wife and kids. It's not fantastic, but it's definitely watchable - and there's a shortage of decent stuff to watch lately. Unfortunately, with it's high budget, it definitely needs to be nailing it if it wants a second series - and it's not.
Watched the first ep of Alcatraz - seemed okay, but I wasn't really drawn in.

I would probably like Game Of Thrones, but I stupidly watched the first ep whilst very tired a couple of months back. Semi-dozed through it, so didn't get into it and now I'm torn between moving on to ep2, watching ep1 again afresh, or binning it. I'm inclined to wait a few months then start again.

As I mentioned earlier, there's a definitely shortage of quality tv lately. I find myself watching more and more old stuff.
I'm currently working my way through 24 again (am a short way into series 5, of 8 ) and thoroughly enjoying it. Also started watching Star Trek Next Gen again (am halfway through series 1).

Need to watch Twin Peaks at some point - have never seen it. Have downloaded it but it won't play on my BDP. Gonna have to get me one of those cheapo little media players (simvision or similar). My Bluray will play most things, but I've got a growing number of tv programs and films that won't work - and I know most (or all) will play on one of those little players as I recently bought one for the kids. (Could bring that one downstairs, but it's all wired in behind their telly so it's a bit of a chew to keep moving it around.) They're only about £20-£30 but I keep thinking "just leave it another month and a better one will be available" or "pay the extra - get a small form pc with xbmc on".
Get your hand in your pocket and just bloody buy one, Late...

Edit - remove 8) smiley from where I typed an 8 followed by a closed bracket. BBCode's clever but occasionally annoying!...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:50:39 AM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

nyjyrk

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

US TV shows that I am following at the mo include:

Big Bang Theory
Dexter
Modern Family
Fringe
How I Met Your Mother
The Walking Dead

I love The Walking Dead. I red the graphic novel as well.

The shows I watch regularly are-
The Walking Dead
Mythbusters
Sons of Guns
Baseball Tonight
Big Bang Theory

Offline harv

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
I've just started to watch Law & Order UK, it's a bit weird watching it because it has the same sort of intro as the American series and the same sound effects when switching scenes which don't seem 'right'. They would have been better off calling it something completely different and not basing it on the US show. :-\

Had a look at the end credits and have noticed it's done by the same guy that's done the US show so that explains it.

Am now watching an Australian series called Underbelly which has each series based on different gang wars in Australia. The first series is about the gangland killings between the Carlton Crew and Carl Williams in Melbourne between 1995 and 2004. Very good watch so far ;D

I think the US is going to have their own Underbelly series too, obviously based on gang wars over there.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:13:10 PM by harv »

armyholmes

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:45 AM »
dont you ever ever call it the telly again you brits

Offline Late

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
Why wouldn't you call your telly the telly?

Stop bastardising our language. Admit your mistakes, and declare your fealty.
I do believe it's about time we gave the bloody colonies a bit of a slap, fellers...
God Save The Queen.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

armyholmes

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »
we whipped your butts in the revolutionary war we would do it again  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
Pfft - a bunch of "revolutionaries" (terrorists) caused a bit of an upset so we just said "sod it - they're not worth it".

These days you folks despise terrorists and insurgents, clearly forgetful of your origins.

You see it your way, I see it mine.
You say tomato, I say tomato (turns out that doesn't work as well in written form as it does when spoken).
You say tv, I say telly.

In all three instances I'm right and you're wrong.

armyholmes

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
no no i say tv you say pass the tee and crumpets you crooked tooth brits havent been worth a darn since churchill. i fought with some of you guys in afganistan i know

Offline Late

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
Can't argue on the teeth front - dental care (and kids' disdain for wearing braces) are woeful in this country.
Good job yanks don't have any bad habits and aren't stereotyped isn't it. Like being a bunch of fat tw@s intent on starting wars whereever they spy oil or whenever they don't like a political regime.
Tea's disgusting, but crumpets rock. Give them a try if you haven't already.
Try to resit the urge to put squirty cheese on it. If I may follow your lead in stereotyping nations, I know the fat bar stewards in on your side of the pond don't like food that's not dripping in fat.
Nice to see your acknowledgement of the British armed forces fighting in Afghanistan. They are of course the most formidable force on the planet.
If you're to direct anger at a European nation go with the French instead ;) Nice to see the colonies are finally seeing the garlic-munching surrender-monkeys for what they really are. About bloody time.
Incidentally, your spelling, punctuation, and grammar leave a lot to be desired. Unfortunately that's only par for the course in your country.
I believe we're off topic here, though, so allow me to get us back on track...
I should also stop the "invisible" writing. It's puerile and immature, but does amuse me so...
Downloaded The Fresh Prince of Bel Air this week. Classic telly, and still stands up relatively well today. Loved it back in the day, and the kids have enjoyed the 6 or 7 episodes they've now seen. I'll have them singing along to the theme tune in no time  8)
Is color (sic) #ffeffe right? Not sure how to properly identify page backgrounds so I'm using trial and error. Looks right on this (crappy) monitor but might be slightly off...