https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Telly Thread  (Read 167064 times)

Offline jman

Re: The Telly Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
so harvs is too small and lates can only output in 720p.... i guess that means that I win then boys  :P

40", Full 1080p HD.. 4 HDMI slots, Ethernet and USB connections, built in freeview tuner and internet tv... bought it as a new model 2 years ago and it still costs more now than what I paid for it..  ;)

The only problem with mine is the sound quality is a bit pants... I would get a home cinema system but my living room area is even smaller than yours late so Im struggling to fit the tv in there as it is.

Offline Late

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
Sorry - that still falls in the "portable tv" category. Hell, it's almost a handheld :P

My panny has built in freeview, but my area's pretty much the last in the UK to go digital - I think we're scheduled for March 2013. We get zero digital channels at present. (Hopefully we'll get some when they switch and boost the signal, but I'm not certain as my village is quite high geographically, yet my estate is in a bit of a dip - so there's no signal :( ) Don't really watch telly, though, so no biggie. Over 99% of the stuff I want to watch I just download the torrent.

Would like more HDMI slots. Mine's only got three - and I've got 4 devices using hdmi now (the media player I got a couple days ago being the 4th), so at present I've got xbox, sky, and media player plugged into the tv - and if I want to watch a bluray I have to switch cables. Will grab a switcher at some point.

A decent sound system would fix the problem (with devices plugged into the AV unit, and the unit putting everything up a single hdmi cable to the telly) but that's very low on my list of priorities. I'm no audiophile so am happy enough with the sound from my tv.

Paid £600 for my tv, btw, which was a fantastic price at the time but holds no bragging rights now, as you can get the newer model for cheaper now. No complaints, though. I could've saved a bit if I'd waited until now, but that'd mean watching the old 32 CRT for the last 2 years. No thanks.
Finally took that to the tip around 2 weeks ago, btw. It's a sickener to bin a perfectly good 32" tv - but I tried several charities and nobody was interested in taking it.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 03:18:35 PM »
Lol, mine's the right size for me...I was going to spend around 350 quid on a 32" until I saw my one on another forum. I managed to buy the second to last one left in London :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
Can't argue on the teeth front - dental care (and kids' disdain for wearing braces) are woeful in this country.
Good job yanks don't have any bad habits and aren't stereotyped isn't it. Like being a bunch of fat tw@s intent on starting wars whereever they spy oil or whenever they don't like a political regime.
Tea's disgusting, but crumpets rock. Give them a try if you haven't already.
Try to resit the urge to put squirty cheese on it. If I may follow your lead in stereotyping nations, I know the fat bar stewards in on your side of the pond don't like food that's not dripping in fat.
Nice to see your acknowledgement of the British armed forces fighting in Afghanistan. They are of course the most formidable force on the planet.
If you're to direct anger at a European nation go with the French instead ;) Nice to see the colonies are finally seeing the garlic-munching surrender-monkeys for what they really are. About bloody time.
Incidentally, your spelling, punctuation, and grammar leave a lot to be desired. Unfortunately that's only par for the course in your country.
I believe we're off topic here, though, so allow me to get us back on track...
I should also stop the "invisible" writing. It's puerile and immature, but does amuse me so...
Downloaded The Fresh Prince of Bel Air this week. Classic telly, and still stands up relatively well today. Loved it back in the day, and the kids have enjoyed the 6 or 7 episodes they've now seen. I'll have them singing along to the theme tune in no time  8)
Is color (sic) #ffeffe right? Not sure how to properly identify page backgrounds so I'm using trial and error. Looks right on this (crappy) monitor but might be slightly off...

Damn but I amuse myself sometimes. ;)
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
I couldn't stand to have anything smaller than my 50".

Pffft, that's just a computer monitor  :P

At present I've got over 5tb of hard drives on the pc

Pfft, you've pretty much got yourself a usb memory stick.

:P :P :P

lol, seriously I only went for a 37" TV, some of the old stuff I have on disk isn't so great played on anything bigger, expecially some of the older avi files from places like tv vault.

Also have my old technics 5 dsic dvd hi fi system plugged into it which gives me cinema surround sound on dvds, just a shame it's obsolete and they didn't make a blu-ray version of the system.

As for hard disk space, 4 x 2 tb in my pc, just upgraded motherboard and processor in my main PC to a nice AMD bulldozer 8 core system.

In total across 7 pc's and numerous external drives I have around 90 tb disk space now (I like to have backups of my backups, just in case). It does become a pain to find stuff after a while.

These things are really useful: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrives-external/harddriveenclosures/4044951009695.html

I have one which houses two sata drives at the same time as well but they don't seem to stock that one at the moment. Sharkoon make a nice range devices for hard disk connectivity.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Late

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
Damn but that's a lot of hard drive.  Would've liked to have backups of all my files but it's just too expensive - and all my tv and film files are easily replaceable. In most instances i can get a replacement copy of any film in an hour or so and it'll be better quality than I previously had.

Only regret re HDDs is only buying one when I saw 2tb WD MyBooks (my drive of choice) for £49.99 last year. Should've bought three, but who knew prices would subsequently go through the roof...

Edit - bloody predictive text...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:36:12 AM by Late »

Offline jman

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:15 PM »
To be honest, most people will just be fine with just a normal single sata enclousre drags..... most normal people dont have 90tb of downloads... god help you if the police ever knock on your door with a warrant lol.....you can pick a decent single sata caddy for a fraction of that price too and most of the newer models will have USB3.0 support built in now to give it a higher transfer rate than that one... I've had my HiPoint enclosure for a while now.. and it works great for what I need... you have to unscrew it all to change the hard-drive... but since I only have one huge external hard-drive.. its not exactly a problem.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 01:55:08 AM »
That was just an example, they do do USB 3.0 ones now.

As for the 90 tb of data, a very high percentage of it is perfectly legal backups of the thousands of CDs and DVDs I own, plus digital copies of the 30,000 comic book collection I have.

I am a perfect example of the fact that there are two types of downlaoder, the ones who wouldn't buy the stuff in the first place and the ones who buy a lot more because they download. I've literally just come back from Asda and impulse bought the Game of Thrones box set. It was just as cheap in Asda as it is on Play at the moment.

I prefer to own a cd rather than have it purely on MP3, MP3's are just more convenient for the car because I can cram so many on a single disc or USB stick. A lot of the bands I've discovered I've done so because I've seen something, downloaded it, liked it, bought the back catalogue (as cheaply as possible) and if I really like them I'll see them live too.

It's bizarre that I prefer to own the DVD/Blu-ray when I can stcik a whole series on a usb stick and don't have to keep changing discs. Half my dvd collection is still in it's cellophane.

I'd rather go and see a film at the cinema, well a lot of films anyway. Some you look at and think it just doesn't need the big screen experience.

It's also the case that the real fans of music, film and tv are the ones being ripped off systematically by the media companies, not the other way round. How long do you wait before buying a copy? Buy it at the extortionate price when it is first released, wait a few months for the price to come down, wait a bit longer so you don't have to buy the special edition as well, or wait 10 or 20 years for the special anniversary edition.

Star Wars has to be the prime example of exploting fans of a film series. Videos, then DVD's, then remastered DVDs, then box sets. then blu-rays, now the 3D versions. It's the real fans that are targeted.

The prices they charge are wll over the top, and then when retailers like Play, CDWOW etc prove they can be sold cheaper, they take them to court to try and prevent them from doing so.

Sales would not increase by anywhere near the amount media companies and their cronies in Government would have you believe they are losing through downloading. In fact in many cases sales would suffer. The government are using this as a way of implementing more of a big brother state. It will backfire on them spectacularly as technology for downloading will take on higher levels of encryption, people will turn to VPNs. Backstreet knock off Nigel's will start springing up again and the knock offs from China and Eastern Europe will really take off. More knock offs will be sold throgh e-bay, and it will be virtually impossible for them to stop, which will also mean more people thinking they are buying genuine articles will be getting conned.

Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
Watched the latest episode of Spartacus: Vengeance this morning. So far I think this series has been excellent. The fight scenes are just superb. Really well done.

Terra Nova has been officially cancelled (which is pretty old news really) though they are trying to sell it to another broadcaster.

Fringe now looks like it is more likely to get a fith season than it is to be cancelled, which is good news in my opinion. Supernatural will probably get an eight season.

Three new series, which I don't think have aired yet, are likely to get a second season. Unforgettable, Person of Interest and Revenge.

And this isn't TV or film but a nice piece of animation:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/03/09/superman-vs-the-hulk-fight-video/

Offline harv

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
Shame about Terra Nova, I really liked that :'(

Have started watching NYPD Blue and there's a small cameo performance from the old black alcoholic flasher nutjob who used to appear in Hill Street Blues that used to shout, 'I'm butt naked!!!' and take his raincoat off lol ;D

It's an excellent series, if the other 10 series are as good as the first one I can see why it ran for so long. :)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
Started watching Game of Thrones but I couldn't get into it for some reason. Watched half of the first episode then gave up. Surprising because on paper it should be just my cup of tea. :-\

Am now watching series 2 of Underbelly which is as good as the first series. The US version should be pretty cool if it happens because they've got so much gang warfare over there to choose from. I quite like these programmes based on real life events. 8)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 04:21:02 PM »
You really need to stick with Game of Thrones, I'd recommend giving it another try. It is a very very good series and a very good adaptation of the books, which I'd also recommend reading.

Offline harv

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »
Hmmm...might give it another go then, normally I give telly programmes a better go than I did with Game of Thrones, just wasn't in the best of moods yesterday. Have got a few major things on my mind at the moment that are worrying me...hopefully my mind will be put to rest once I have some medical test results back soon. :-\

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 09:55:56 AM »
Well there's somthing else about Game of Thrones that might take your mind off things - it's a bit like Spartacus in that it has lots of boobs, so if you don't like the show, fast forward to the good bits ;D (it's not quite as graphic as Spartacus in either the violence or the sex, but there are some very nice boobs in it!).

Offline harv

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 02:42:51 PM »
Shite, my urine test results are back. Got a letter from my doctor telling me to make an appointment to discuss the results. That's basically confirmation of what I was worried about - my kidneys are starting to fail. :'( Bollocks. Looks like I'm going to be on dialysis for the rest of my life because my blood group is the rarest of the lot, AB-, so there's bugger all chance of me getting a transplant. :(

Back on topic, I might give Game of Thrones another go I reckon...should still have it in my trash can.

Edit: Phew! No protein or blood in my wee, don't know why they didn't bloody well tell me as much in the letter they sent me. >:( Just high in glucose so the frothyness was just a symptom of my bad diabetes control. I'm so relieved!!! ;D

Am now watching The Walking Dead, forgot just how good it is. If the Mayan Doomsday this year is a zombie apocalypse I reckon you should all study these sorts of programmes for tips. I'll be okay thanks to my superior marksmanship and SAS/Ninja training but all of you wimps will be well and truly buggered. :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:11:12 PM by harv »