https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Telly Thread  (Read 260051 times)

Offline harv

Re: The Telly Thread
« Reply #450 on: May 22, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
Ooh! Summer Glau is in Arrow series 2!!! ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #451 on: May 22, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »
She'd better turn out to be a villain and dress in tight leather otherwise I will not be happy :o :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #452 on: May 23, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
No leather gear for Summer yet, and am about halfway through. >:(

Not sure what the casting people were thinking about, am pretty sure that the actress playing Sara has changed from the first series cos she's a bit of a moose imo. :-\ I think it's her dodgy chin that does it.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #453 on: May 24, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
Same actress playing her, but that chin, not good.

Felicity Smoke however, pwhooor.

As for Summer Glau. She looks alomost anorexic in Arrow. Used to think she was hot but not so much in Arrow.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:27:35 PM by Dragontao »
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #454 on: May 24, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
I just don't remember her having that awful chin before. But I guess we didn't see that much of her in the first series.

Summer Glau could do with a bit more weight on her...

*Pats belly*

...about ten and a half stone should do it :P :-*

Offline harv

« Reply #455 on: May 29, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
Have now been watching Judge John Deed with Martin Shaw, he hasn't aged too badly since The Professionals. Quite a good programme, have really been enjoying it. A bit ridiculous that he gets away with so much but it's all good fun lol ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #456 on: June 12, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
Didn't like the ending of Dexter, but it's not the worst ending US telly has forced on us. It certainly beats Lost, Sopranos, and Quantum Leap, off the top of my head.
I still have not seen the final episode of Quantum Leap. I'm now thinking maybe I shouldn't. I have every episode somewhere on disk.

I downloaded and started watching Quantum Leap at the start of the year (after this post) - it's always been a show I wanted to watch again - I saw most of series 2 and 3 growing up but never finished watching them... was always curious what the last episode was going to be..

Well it's taken this long to get to the final episode.. I sat in bed watching it last night.. and to be fair I fell asleep half way through it lol... so I'll have to rewatch it later in the week.. but I can already tell its not the ending the show deserves...the last series in general is probably the weakest one of the lot (why the fuck did they change the title music!!) .. there was only a few good leaps in the last series.

Offline Late

« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
Yeah, it's a program I'd like to rewatch at some point. Transferred the first couple of series of it to the front room HDD about a year ago, but there's always something else I'm watching.
The fact it dips in quality and then gets its incredibly weak finale also discourages me a little - but all in all it was a great show.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #458 on: June 12, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
One of my favourite programmes, a real shame that it ended so badly. It's one of those series I can watch again and again though despite the last series.

Offline harv

« Reply #459 on: July 04, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
Am halfway through watching The 100. I wish people would do their research before making their programmes. 800 people isn't enough to continue the human race without in-breeding and creating great banjo players. Can't remember the exact amount of people you would need now, it's either 1000 or 3000 survivors to ensure a safe gene pool. :o

Offline Late

« Reply #460 on: July 04, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »
Watched most of the first episode of that, but gave up.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #461 on: July 04, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »
The first episode was a bit pants but I always watch a few episodes before giving up on a series because sometimes (as with this case) the series gets better after a ropey pilot.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #462 on: July 06, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »
I quite enjoyed it (and a couple of the females are quite hot lol).

With regard to the inbreeding thing Harv, there's actually no definitive answer. Even with a population size of 3000, some alleles are likely to be lost from the human species, some may be important, some may not. It's the founder effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founder_effect

With larger populations, there is a decreased chance of a common ancestor 10 generations or so down the line.

However, that's not strictly true either if members of the population are carefully selected. If you take 200 people with very different backgrounds, from different areas, there's a good chance you are likely to get far more genetic diversity than if you take 2000 people from the same town. Which is how captive breeding programmes work by taking individuals with know lineage from different zoos or wild populations and breeding them together.

The numbers idea you're taling about is something akin to minimum viable population (MVP) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_population and it's not as simple as just numbers. It's possible for a small number to create a viable population in the long term.

After all, we all came from Adam and Eve didn't we? (cough, ahem, bullshit). Seriously though, even without the bible stories, the human race itself would have had to have started with a relatively small sample, it's why we have so much of our DNA that is very similar and share a high percentage of our DNA with other species (and even plants).

http://hihg.med.miami.edu/about-us/what-is-genetics

Genetics and evolutionary biology are very important where conservation is concerned.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #463 on: July 06, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »
Can't remember what book or series I got that from now. It was either Day Of The Triffids or Survivors...pretty sure it was the former.

I wish someone would do a Day Of The Triffids video game, it would be awesome. ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #464 on: July 06, 2014, 11:13:08 PM »
Am watching series 3 of Boon. Loved that programme, three of my favourite actors in it. ;D