https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 191445 times)

Offline harv

The Films Thread
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
There you go, I think that's everything from the old Shared General forum covered ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
Recently watched the American remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
Very good film, and I'm now looking forward to seeing the other films in the "Millenium Trilogy". I'm sorely tempted to watch the original (Norwegian?) versions, but I don't know if the first film is exactly the same - ie can you watch the US version of 1 then watch 2 and 3 in foreign, or should I start from 1 again (and likely spend 2 hours watching something I've pretty much already seen).
Had a quick glance at the foreign version of film 1 and it looked strikingly similar throughout - though the ending might be slightly different...

Semi-tempted to just get the Stig Laarsson (sp?) books and be damned with the film versions, but our lass enjoyed the film too and is keen to see 2 and 3 - but she's not really one for reading much.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline wishingman

• Why are the Legends so Great!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:57:14 AM »
I too just watched "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". Thought it was very good!
Member of the LEGENDS!

Offline jman

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
I watched Abduction last night... an action film that starts when a teenager that suffers identity issues finds one of his baby pictures posted on a missing persons website...

....annoying sums up the film.  Drab action film with dull and wooden action scenes featuring two annoying american teenagers who cant act and a half-assed, cliched ridden plot. I was waiting and waiting for something good to happen or some proper action to begin, but that never happened... so I was hoping for and looking for a sudden twist that could turn the film around and redeem it in some way... but there were none.... it was really pointless watching the film... and felt a sudden feeling of "crap, I've just spent my sunday evening watching this guff".... at the end of the film..

Dont bother - 2/10.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:37:29 PM by jman »

armyholmes

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:54:16 AM »
guff?

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:59:50 PM »
Hopefully off to see John Carter at the weekend. Looks very good. Read the books many years ago.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »
It got terrible reviews.. not my cuppa tea.. would rather go watch the plain jane action film that is "SafeHouse"... which I might do at the weekend.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
Safehouse is another option, though woman in black is third choice I think.

I'm just waiting for the Avengers movie, but I'm not sure I'll get to see it at the cinema as I'm going to be out of action for the whole of April and stuck indoors after my shoulder op on the 23rd March.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
I didnt go to the cinema in the end.. too expensive.. just watched a few movies at home instead..

The Change Up (Jason Bateman/Ryan Reynolds).. sounded a bit gay from the synopsis.. and thought the storyline had been done to death, but actually this film is suprisingly funny and refreshing - even with Ryan Ringpiece in... lots of adult humour from the get-go.. A lot of bad language, loads of titty shots (even Olivia Wilde gets her breasticles out)... although a lot of the nudity in the film looked fake... the film does get a little bit gay towards the last 20 minutes as it wraps things up... but overall it kept me entertained...
7.5/10

Set-Up (50 Cent, Bruce Willis)... I didnt finish watching this film to be honest.. turned it off after half way through, fiddy obviously needs acting lessons.. his acting was so wooden and although these types of heist/action films are right up my street.. it failed to deliver on every level.
1/10 (only gets 1 for having Brucie in it)

Colombiana (no-one I know)... Good action movie, seen it done before.. but little girl see's her parents slaughtered in front of her, grows up to become an assassin and seek revenge.. whilst the plot wasnt anything spectacular and slightly predictable, the action in the movie is good and clever, some of the story is a bit laughable and some of the action is OTT.. but its entertaining regardless
6/10

Offline harv

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
The price of going to the cinema these days is bloody ridiculous :o

I only ever go to the cinema these days to watch a 'big' film, everything else I quite happily watch at home. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Tell me 'bout it. Paying for my eldest and 4 mates to go to the flicks this weekend (birthday treat). Didn't really think it through. This is going to get bloody expensive when you factor in travel, cinema tickets, food, etc.  :(
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
To be fair.. everyone knows about orange wednesday... but showcase cinemas.. (small chain) do a member card which gives you roughly the same discount as an orange wednesday.. its called insider and you can use it every tuesday... which compared to a wednesday night is usually empty.... dont know if theres one of those round your way but sure beats paying full price or sitting in crowded showings.

I cant resist cinema popcorn though.. so I still end up paying a fortune  ;D

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »
Saw John Carter on Saturday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good action movie, some laughs, good effects but not over the top. It was also one of the few films where the 3D has been used to give real depth and has been used consistently throughout to help immerse you in the production, without being over the top and not just to gratuitously show off special effects or things flying around the screen. The only other films I think the 3D has been as good in were Avatar and Legend of the Guardian.

Offline jman

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
From my experience of 3D.. the only decent uses of it in a film are when you have a film that was shot for 3D... the technique to add 3D in post production just doesnt work... either way, Im not overly keen on either method, I dont feel like it greatly enhances the film experience... its just a gimmick and should be left to the theme parks.. you know those 3D, 4D, 5D type rides... 

I might feel different if I didnt have to wear glasses to watch a film.. I think thats the main distraction for me.. they get annoying after a while too.

Offline jman

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
Just watched kickboxer, how cheesy is that film, jcvd at his best though