https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 191423 times)

Offline harv

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »
The problem with watching these films with a twist is that because you know there's a twist at the end you can almost always work it out before it happens lol. Arlington Road was excellent, as was Basic. Barton Fink was okay but had too much arty farty symbolism in it for my liking, a bit too far stuck up its own arse imo; the only thing it had missing was the obligatory shot down a spiral staircase lol.

Angel Dark was good, but because you know there's a twist on the end you know that it's easy to work out...although this one wasn't too subtle. Still, a good film all the same.

Blue Velvet is up next, but I can't remember if I've seen it before. Think so though. :D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Not a fan of unnecessary remakes or of Colin Farrell, and I like the original - but the remake of Total Recall is looking pretty good.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 01:01:42 AM »
Wonder if they're going to remake the HUGE cock up they made at the end of the original lol. At the very end when Arnie and his bit of fluff are looking out at the Mars landscape the camera pulled back too far and you could see the hooks holding up the scenery at the top of the screen lololol. A mate of mine noticed it either at the cinema or on video, I think it was the former. $18m on special effects wasted lol :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline styles

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »
Thor on sky this weekend. hopefully squeeze it in between the masters and all the sport
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
Thor was quite watchable. Saw it at the cinema. (the 3D was a waste of time though). Good lead in to the Avengers movie, keep watching after the credits.

I do hate the way political correctness spills into films though, where they completely re-write characters. Norse Gods who are black (though whatisface that plays Luther is quite good as Heimdall) or Asian, Hogun the Grimm is of East Asian origin. Then there's the whole Nick Fury thing. Yes they've taken it from the Ultimates version of Marvel's comics, but when you've grown up reading Sgt Fury and His Howling Commandos, only for the white one eyed Sgt who later went on to become Colonel Fury and then Director of S.H.I.E.L.D, to see him with an intense sun tan is just wrong. That said, I'd rather see Samuel L Jackson playing Fury than David Hasselhoff (if you've ever seen the original Nick Fury film, you'll know what I mean).

The Kingpin in the Daredevil film went from being a big white guy to a big black guy, thiugh in fairness Michael Clarke Duncan was probably the only person the right size to play the part. 

To an extent I can understand it because when a lot of these early Marvel characters were about in the early 60's and 70's, comics didn't have a lot of black characters (the same as TV didn't have a lot of black lead characters). Marvel actually broke a lot of ground by introducing lead black characters and even the first gay superhero, but I'm a traditionalist and would prefer to see characters kept as they were originally designed. There are plenty of black characters who can be used now, without altering things to be PC.

I think it's just as insulting to suddenly make characters black because otherwise there wouldn't be any representation of other races in a comic or film.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »
Have just started watching the first film from the Cube trilogy. Four people have woken up in what looks like an alien spaceship, filled with square rooms with a door in the center of each face. The rooms have motion detectors and traps. One bloke right at the beginning just got diced lol :o ;D

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
Cube 1 was great.  2 was dire. 3rd was okay, with a good twist.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »
Really enjoyed it, what a great concept for a film! Brilliant stuff! ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
And the second one was bloody terrible :o

Edit: Have now watched the third one and liked the twist at the end. First one was the best of the lot with the third one coming a very close second. ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:14:31 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 01:14:33 AM »
Watched "The Devil Inside" tonight. Not a big fan of horror but had it recommended by a couple of people (both of whom I've always considered to have pretty poor taste in movies tbh).
Should've trusted my initial gut reaction and swerved it. What a terrible film. It's only redeeming feature is its length - fortunately I've only lost 85 minutes of my life to that pile o' crap.
Its small budget is scant excuse for the poor script and the poor acting.

Offline harv

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:58 AM »
You should've watched The Devil Inside Miss Jones instead lol

Offline harv

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Am now watching Event Horizon and am quite enjoying it so far. Think the music could have done with a little improvement because there are plenty of stingers that aren't as effective as they could be. Quite a common mistake that Directors of films, TV programmes and video games make, although surprisingly the latter medium gets it right more often than not. :)

Edit: Just finished watching it and it was pretty good until Weir gouged his eyes out and went mental. Went downhill from there unfortunately :(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:55:17 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
You should definitely start a masterclass so you can teach all the directors - let them know where they're going wrong.

Couldn't stand Event Horizon. I love sci-fi, but am not a big fan of horror - and I found that film to be a very irritating blend of the two genres.

Offline harv

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
Lol, they don't all get it wrong, I can see why he kept the music to a minimum - to convey the sense of isolation. I just think it would have been better to build tension before the stingers. Still, not a terrible film by any means but could have been better. Would have been better being more psychological thriller rather than horror I think.

Edit: Have just seen that film that you're not supposed to talk about and forgot just how good it was, the writing, casting and direction are all top notch. Great stuff. ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:57:22 AM by harv »

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
Have just seen that film that you're not supposed to talk about and forgot just how good it was, the writing, casting and direction are all top notch. Great stuff. ;D

Which films that then?  ;)  ;D
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.