https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 283514 times)

Offline jman

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #480 on: May 12, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »
Guess I must be the only one to think Iron Man 3 was a bit meh...

...about as good as the 2nd one imo.. I was expecting more.. especially with nearly everyone I know whose seen it saying its great... in general I thought the action scenes were better than IM2.. but the story was pretty terrible, predictable and at times very slow... and it didnt really do anything new.. it was the same old.. dont know what the fuss was about really.. and was it worth staying after the credits to watch the last bit? - no.

4/10

Offline harv

« Reply #481 on: May 18, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
Am watching Rosemary's Baby at the moment, forgot how awesome a film it is. 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #482 on: May 19, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »
Just watched Hansel and Gretel.

Okay film, a watchable romp, nothing special and nowhere as good as something like Van Helsing as a retelling of an old story or revamp of an old idea. A few good kills, average special effects overall. 6/10
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline styles

« Reply #483 on: May 19, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
Watched les miserables last night. Fabulous.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #484 on: May 19, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
Why  on earth would you want to watch a film about sad lesbians..? Bloomin weirdo. More chance of them getting it on if they're happy. :-\ ??? :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »
Saw "Star Trek: Into Darkness" today. (Thanks cokezone.)

Very good film. I'm a bit of a trekkie (though not hardcore) so was aware of a lot of the 'homages' to the original series/films - particularly Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan - and enjoyed them. The 'alternate timeline' established by JJ Abrams' first film works beautifully in allowing new stories but using familiar characters and scenarios. My kids don't like the original and spin off series' of Star Trek but thoroughly enjoyed both of the new films.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
Still have to go and see it, maybe this week some time.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2013, 11:44:24 AM »
Watched Parker last night - Statham, JLo, its alright for an action film.. starts off great, the action scenes are great, but it slows down a lot in the middle of the film,  JLo does get most of her kit off though which was a welcome relief to ease some of the boredom  ;D

4/10

Offline jman

« Reply #488 on: May 24, 2013, 07:54:34 AM »
Watched Alex Cross last night - it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but there was some really shonky acting and some of the dialogue was pretty poor.  The story is quite predictable, no real twists to it.. the characters other than Alex Cross and his nemesis were all poorly written.. as a thriller.. it didnt thrill, there was no suspense... but it was watchable.

3/10

Offline Late

« Reply #489 on: May 24, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Watched Die Hard 5 a few days ago.

Oh dear.
I love the Die Hard series - well I loved the first two, and thought 4 was okay, didn't much like #3 though - but they should've put this to bed after four films.

Contains minor spoilers:
The Die Hard films have never had the most involving of scripts, but this film takes the piss. The action scenes (and there's lots, of course) are more ridiculous than ever - requiring you to drop all pretence of reality and imagine you're in some alternate universe where physics and human endurance are completely alien. At one point your man McClane commandeers a truck and drives it up a ramp and over the roofs of about fifty or sixty cars sat in traffic. Like you do. He's got no solid reason for doing this, other than he senses something fishy is going on - so it's okay for him to cause a couple million pounds of damage to peoples' and public property and probably kill or seriously main around a hundred people by improvising that shortcut. If I'm on the way to my boring job, and there's a big traffic jam I'm having a bad enough day already. I don't need you driving a fucking tank over the roof of my car, breaking my spine while you're at it, just because you want to ask your son if he's okay.  Fuck you, McClane. Fuck you and all of your family.

And then there's the script. I guess they had a script. I think it was scrawled on the back of a fag packet, though. You've got Bruce Willis just shouting "Jesus" over and over throughout the whole film, and the guy who plays his son doesn't much like his dad - as he makes clear every time he opens his mouth (apart from the end of the film, where they're the best of pals, natch...).

Acting wise, it's hard to comment. With a script and plot as bad as this it's impossible to make it much better or much worse with your acting. Somehow they contrive to do so, though - and I don't mean they made it better. I've seen more animated mannequins ffs.

Avoid. 3/10
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #490 on: May 24, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
Cant be any worse than Taken 2 surely ??  ;D

Forgot to add.. I did find some amusement from Alex Cross for two reasons :

1. Never noticed this before but Jean Reno is a double for Rafa Benitez (difference is, one is a popular european whose won many awards.. the other is Rafa Benitez  ;D )

2. Alex Cross character reminded me a lot of Bo Selecta's Craiiigggg Davvviddd lol
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:35:24 PM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #491 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »
Taken 2 beats it hands down. I quite liked it, tbh (especially the use of grenades for determining distance and triangulating position when heard over the phone then in the background - genius!). Was definitely a cash-in, but it was watchable.
DH5 was just utter shite, though.

Offline harv

« Reply #492 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
I thought Taken 2 was good fun, but the bit with his daughter driving like a stunt driver veteran was a fair bit more than tongue-in-cheek lol ;D

Watched Midnight Cowboy the other day, forgot how great the soundtrack was. Awesome. 8)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #493 on: May 25, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
Watched "The Last Stand" today. Wasn't expecting much, but thoroughly enjoyed it. It's quite ridiculous, of course, but so long as you're happy to completely suspend belief (in basic physics, police practice, and common sense) and just sit back and enjoy the ride it's a lot of fun.

Watched it last night. So ridiculous it's funny. But then I think that was the intention in places. Arnie was sending himself up a bit in places with some referenences to age. Plenty of cheesy one liners in true old fashioned Arnie style.

Some quite nice kills, my favourite being the one with the flare gun. Made me chuckle.

Also watched Mama. Pretty much agree with you on that one as well Late. Potential, some nice suspense at times but too much of it was predictable. So many horrors going for that Grudge type spooky thing moving about that you don't really get to see. Saves film makers having to come up with new monsters/demons/ghosts to show the viewer. Then, when you finally see the thing, it's like "is that it" or "seen that before".

Offline styles

« Reply #494 on: May 26, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
"That's my boy" - Adam Sandler.  Very predictable but still some good laughs. Watchable
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.