https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 283511 times)

Offline Dragontao

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
Last week or so I've watched:

After Earth
OKayish film, certainly nothing great. Bit of a nothing and pointless story really as far as a film goes. Might have been okay if it was a set up for an ongoing TV series. More of a vehicle for Will Smith to show off his precocious brat of a son, who is just irritating. 5/10

The Lone Ranger
I actually really enjoyed it. Silly and a bit mad, but great fun. Johnny Depp very oddball as Tonto, but personally found him very funny in the role. Made for a few laugh real out loud moments. Maybe that's why the critics panned it, because they played it for laughs a bit too much. A solid 7.5/10 for me.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #526 on: October 08, 2013, 08:47:01 PM »
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #527 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »
Lmfao, awesome lololol ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #528 on: October 14, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
Watched two films over the weekend :

Olympus Has Fallen.. reminded me a lot of Die Hard, and other terrorist based hostage scenario films.. however.. to put it in the same league as Die Hard is just wrong.  I'm not a big fan of Gayhard Buttfuck (Gerard Butler).. and afraid he did nothing to persuade me otherwise in this film, he just seems to have no personality whatsoever... you could replace him with any half-decent action movie star and the film would instantly be better.  The plot was ridiculous, generic and totally far-fetched, but it runs smoothly, its fast paced and theres a lot of old school action in it.  Whilst it gains a plus in my books for being a hardened old school action movie.. it loses marks for it's downright silly plot and mr. boring as the hero.

3.5/10

The Sweeney... never watched any of the 70s cop shows.. apart from a gritty cop film, expected nothing more.. I'd say the film delivered on my expectations.. just.  Felt if anything, there was little substance to the film, Ray Winstone is a beast, he's great in it, felt like he needed someone like Statham to play his buddy role though, because Winstone was the star of the film, the other characters didn't really get a look in.  The plot started to get a bit too convoluted towards the end of the film, needlessly so, when all it involved was just tracking down some armed raiders.  It was watchable, but nothing to get too excited over.

4/10

Offline harv

« Reply #529 on: October 15, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »
Why the fuck have you never watched The Sweeney..?!!?!!? :o

Classic British television :o

Rectify that immediately!!!

Have just watched Dredd, not a bad film but they've really fucked up on a couple of things - the Judge's uniform and the Judge's bike. I'm also disappointed that they haven't had Judge Death appear in either of these films, best baddie that the comic book has ever had.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #530 on: October 16, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
Why the fuck have you never watched The Sweeney..?!!?!!? :o

Because I'm not as old and decrepit as most of you  ;)

70s stuff doesn't really interest me in the slightest.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #531 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
Get ITV4 stuck on, Jman. The Sweeney, Minder, The Professionals - classic telly.  ;D

Have recently watched:

Prisoners - Decent dark thriller with a complex but enjoyable plot... too complex for just one viewing IMO. Will have to watch it again when it's released on DVD. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal are excellent. 2 and a half hours long but the time just whizzes by which is usually a good sign for a film. 8/10

Source Code - I can see why some would find this film boring as it includes the same scene redux about 10 times, but it's actually intriguing and has a solid ending which is all-important for thrillers. 7/10

The Conjuring - Not usually a fan of horror as most of it today is cheap and crap, but this was actually OK. Not many "jump" scares, it's more about tension, which I prefer. The plot gets a bit silly in the middle of the film but all in all it's not a bad film. 6/10

Offline harv

« Reply #532 on: October 16, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »
I loved Source Code, it was awesome ;D

If you watch The Sweeney then you would appreciate Life On Mars a great deal more too. 8)

Offline jman

« Reply #533 on: October 21, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
Few more films I watched this weekend :

Despicable Me 2 - high hopes after watching the first one recently, although I knew a sequel would struggle in terms of originality.  The plot is coherent, but doesn't really flow as well as the first one I thought even though its pretty much the same formula... by far the funniest thing about it are the minions, which is good because the film contains more focus on the minions than the first one.  Good.. but not as good as the first one.
6/10

The Call - Crime Thriller.. worth a watch I'd say, it was suspenseful in parts, but lacked any creativity.. I was glued to the screen throughout though.  Just a shame that the ending kinda let it down.. won't spoil anything but I didn't like it one bit.
6/10

Hopefully going to see The Escape Plan on Wednesday (Arnie/Sly)

Offline Late

« Reply #534 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »
I should update more often. Have left it so long I can't remember half the films I've seen recently, and some of those I have seen I can't actually remember all that well!
To be honest, I've not seen a really good film or a really bad one for a while. Everything's been pretty "meh", so you'll probably see a few 5s and 6s here!

Pacific Rim
Big budget blockbuster with giant mechs fighting giant monsters. Should've been great.
It was okay. Definitely nothing special, but watchable.

White House Down
I reviewed "Olympus Has Fallen" a while back, about terrorists taking over the White House. Compared it to Die Hard, but not as good.
In "White House Down" terrorists take over the White House. It's very reminiscent of Die Hard, actually...
This one beats OHF, though. in my opinion - partly because it doesn't have Gerrard Butler (who I don't like), and instead has Channing Tatum (I'm not a big fan, but he's okay. The kids are keen on him, though!), and partly because this one's got a sense of humour and a few laughs scattered here and there. It's not a comedy, but the humour helps it. Lots of big explosions etc, as you'd expect from a Roland Emmerich film.

After Earth
Will Smith wants the world to know he's got a son, and the family's got a lot of industry clout.
Mission accomplished. Watchable. Just about.

The Internship
Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson as a couple of middle-aged fellers in a comedy about getting a job at Google, surrounded by youngsters. You get exactly what you expect, to be honest. It's okay, is amusing and endearing throughout, and is utterly predictable.

R.I.P.D.
Very similar to Men In Black, but with demonic souls hiding on Earth instead of aliens.
Okay, but definitely not outstanding.

Kick Ass 2
I was expecting this to be pretty crap. It's predecessor was a fantastic film, but the shock factor of seeing a little girl swearing and killing with wild abandon has gone - partly because you now expect it, and partly because the actors are a few years older now. They've tried to balance that by being more OTT.
Not a patch on the first film, but still okay. And worth watching just to see "Night Bitch" - who has a bit of a "Harley Quinn" look.

This Is The End
I quite enjoyed it, but a mate didn't - and I think that's at least partly down to the fact he didn't really recognise many of the actors. Lots of "in" references to Hollywood and the actors who mainly play caricatures of themselves, here, trying to survive the apocalypse which kicks off whilst most of them are at a party at James Franco's house.
Found it quite enjoyable (once they got to the apocalypse stuff, anyway. The first 20 mins were a bit slow.)

The Worlds End
Fun film as a bunch of middle-aged guys try to relive their youth on a pub crawl. Nick Frost and Martin Freeman are both great. A few laugh out loud moments - and a few wtf moments.

The Europa Report
A manned mission to one of Jupiter's moons loses contact with Earth. A sort of "found footage" film documenting what happened to the crew. It was okay. Not great, not crap - but a bit bland and slow.

We're The Millers
To be honest, it's not that fresh in my mind, now - but I recall it being a reasonable enough comedy. The "son" was the star, but I was also happy to see Aniston pole-dancing in her underwear.

World War Z
Again, it's a while since I watched it, so not so fresh in my mind. Decent enough flick, with a few good ideas and lots of good action scenes.

I watched The Sweeney film at some point a couple of months back, but my attention wandered because it was boring, and I ended up playing on my tablet whilst keeping half an eye on the telly. Probably scores about 3.5 - 4.5 but I really can't remember enough about it to score it properly.
All in all I've seen quite a few new films there. Unfortunately there wasn't a single great one amongst them - so the best films I've watched in the last month or two would have to be the Dark Knight trilogy which I re-watched last week. :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:05:56 PM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #535 on: October 21, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
Another vote for This Is The End.. as totally crap.. sorry late.. just didn't find it very funny, the comedy was very American, but ultimately the film lacked any kind of substance.. I struggled through it and would of turned it off 30 minutes in had the girlfriend not insisted to carry on.. fool.. never listen to her.. how many times!!!

Offline jman

« Reply #536 on: October 23, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »
Watched Escape Plan at the cinema tonight - I really enjoyed it, more so than I had originally expected.  Arnie is getting back to his best most definitely!

Original storyline - albeit the film being mildly predictable, but the Arnie/Sly chemistry really worked.  The film runs at a decent pace and builds up other supporting actors really well, the villain of the film is great, and Vinnie Jones is the perfect nutter.  Even fiddy cent played the IT geek character really well.  Acting all round is pretty good, a decent old school action thriller - all in all, very impressed and looking forward to the DVD release!

7.5/10

Offline Late

« Reply #537 on: October 25, 2013, 02:52:32 PM »
The Way Way Back
Heart-warming endearing feel-good type of film, this one. So not my cup of tea.
Was okay, though. Unhappy 14 year old lad goes away on holiday with mum, step-dad, and step-sister. When out on one of his daily sulks he makes friends with a fairly cool guy at the local water-slide park, and ends up gaining the confidence to try it on with the girl next door.

2 Guns
Ah, now this is more my scene! :D
Denzel Washington and Marky Mark Wahlberg are two (seemingly) bad guys doing drug deals and robbing banks, but things go wrong when they're double-crossed. Very stylish film, loads of action, and quite a few funny lines/scenes.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #538 on: November 11, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »
Decided to have a blast from the past and watched Wargames yesterday, love that film but it does make me feel a bit old considering I remember using 5 and a quarter inch floppy discs lol :-[ ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #539 on: December 02, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
...Furious 6. Sixth instalment in the Fast & Furious franchise, and there's no great surprises here. If you liked it's predecessors you'll like this one; if you didn't like the first ones then there's nothing in this one to change your opinion. Personally, I like the series (apart from the utterly annoying "F&F3: Tokyo Drift"). They focus heavily on lots of suped up cars driving fast and performing outrageous stunts, while lots of scantily clad young ladies shake their booties. What's not to like?...

RIP Paul Walker.
I'm a big fan of the Fast & Furious films (or rather I liked 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6 - the five films he starred in).

Recently watched:
Alpha Papa.
Don't believe the spin that it's for everyone. Reasonable fun if you like Alan Partridge, boring if you don't like him. (So good news for me, not so much for the missus!)

Elysium
Similar style and vibe to District 9 (unsurprising as it's directed by the same feller, and also co-stars the main actor from it) - which is good news in my opinion. Dystopian future of Earth with an authentic-feel, with the uber-rich living in a utopia in the planet's orbit, and Matt Damon forced into a position of having to redress that imbalance.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:17:44 PM by Late »