https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 201068 times)

Offline Dragontao

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #540 on: December 03, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »

Elysium
Similar style and vibe to District 9 (unsurprising as it's directed by the same feller, and also co-stars the main actor from it)

Most definitely has that district 9 vibe. I'd agree with your score. Watchable film.

Went and saw Gravity. 6/10 for me. Nice effects in 3D, typical disaster movie though, lurching from one bad situation to another. Half expected there to be sharks or pissed off piranah in the water when she came down. Might add on another 0.5 because Sandra Bullock has nice legs.

Finally got round to seeing the Wolverine (bought the blu-ray after downloading it).  Enjoyed it. I like Jackman in the role and there's plenty of action as well as a decent story. Little snippet of X-Men Days of Future Past at the end of the credits. Have not watched the alternate ending on blu-ray yet. 7.5/10

I like the look of 47 Ronin. Will definitely be seeing that over Christmas, as well as the Desolation of Smaug.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #541 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
You are not waiting until Desolation of Smaug comes out on special edition dvd then drags ?  :P

I'm well looking forward to seeing it..  ;D

Started watching xmas films as per every December - we try and watch one a day up until xmas.. started with Home Alone & Jingle all the Way - Elf tonight, Home Alone 2 tomorrow and Die Hard the next  ;D

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #542 on: December 03, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
You are not waiting until Desolation of Smaug comes out on special edition dvd then drags ?  :P

Grrrrrrr

I'm well looking forward to seeing it..  ;D

Started watching xmas films as per every December - we try and watch one a day up until xmas.. started with Home Alone & Jingle all the Way - Elf tonight, Home Alone 2 tomorrow and Die Hard the next  ;D

I hate Christmas and all the commercial crap surrounding it now, but some Christmas films do make things feel more like the old traditional Christmases from back when Christmas actually felt like Christmas and you could sense the atmosphere and anticipation.

Gotta Add Die Hard 2 in there as well.

I might even dig out the Great Escape. Not a Christmas film but they used to put that on Every Christmas without fail (when I were a lad lol).
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #543 on: December 03, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »
Yep Die Hard 2 is most certainly on the list - as is Scrooged... I like to think of Rocky 4 & Lethal Weapon as Christmas films (like the first 2 die hard films) as they are set at Christmas.. the missus doesn't agree though  :(

I also hate Christmas, I had to struggle to stop the tree going up a few weeks back..  :o it went up on sunday eventually..  :-X

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #544 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
I like to think of Rocky 4 & Lethal Weapon as Christmas films (like the first 2 die hard films) as they are set at Christmas.. the missus doesn't agree though  :(

Your missus isdefinitely wrong about Lethal Weapon. I totally agree with you, from the opening scenes (in the uncut version) where Mel Gibson is in the Christmas tree place and the last fight scene with Gary Busey.

Offline harv

« Reply #545 on: December 06, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »
Just watched Olympus Has Fallen and loved it. Complete nonsense of course but it was good fun, the way action films should be. Has to be the first film I've seen where people with military training are decent shots too lol ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #546 on: December 07, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
I've seen a film called Sharknado appearing on Netflix a few times, sounds like a 'so bad it's good' type film so will watch it later on lol ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #547 on: December 12, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
Havent watched many films lately, should be going to watch The Hobbit 2 on Saturday and Anchorman 2 the week after though.

Watched Sinister the other night.. for a horror its pretty tame.. not much gore and not many scares - although it builds tension quite well with sound and darkness... the storyline is pretty good though, not entirely original... but it introduces a super 8 snuff film concept which kind of blends in "found footage" into the main film and I think it works really well - it kept me interested anyway.

I did feel the story lost a lot of pace towards the end though, without trying to ruin it, I would of liked it to of gone a completely different way to what it did..

5/10

Offline harv

« Reply #548 on: December 12, 2013, 05:44:27 PM »
Lmfao, looks like I was right about Sharknado lololol ;D ;D ;D

Acting is terrible, script is terrible, special effects are surprisingly good in comparison to the rest of it (although that's not saying much lol).

This is definitely a 'so bad that it's good' film lololol, some real laugh out loud parts which I don't think are done on purpose ;D

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #549 on: December 14, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »
Sharknado was hilarious in places, so bad it's funny. Along with Sand Sharks and Swamp Sharks, has to be one of the funniest shark films ever.

Watched a Sci-fy channel film called Big Ass Spider the other day. Oh dear is all I can say. So bad it was still bad. It had Parkman from Heroes in it, and he was actually quite funny. Watched another Sci-fy film with him in it too, End of the World. Just as bad. You'd think I;d learn my lessons about bad Scy-fy channel movies. Camel Spiders was one of thw worst though.

Watched Kick Ass II. Enjoyed it, not as good as the first because the shock factor had gone, but still very good.

Offline jman

« Reply #550 on: December 14, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »
The hobbit 2 is great, wish I didn't have to wait another year to see the final installment

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #551 on: December 15, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »
I'll be going to see that at some point over Christmas.

I watched "Man of Tai Chi". As martial arts films go, it wasn't too bad in terms of the action, which was even more amazing considering Keanu Reeves was making his directorial debut. Unfortunately he also acted in it, and his performance had to be his worst since Dracula, seriously cringeworthy in places. I do also have to take issue with some of the supposed Tai Chi in the film, which was very un Tai Chi like, though it did appear to be based around Chen style Tai Chi (the name of which has nothing to do with the lead actor/character). They did try to explain it away at one point with the line "He's doing sofdt style but in a hard way". Some serious factual flaws in that film.

Offline harv

« Reply #552 on: December 21, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
Have just downloaded Tyson: Undisputed Truth and it's pretty good. It's basically him talking about his life and career in front of a live audience. Really funny in places, written by his third and current wife but he must have worked very hard on his delivery. I'm quite surprised at how good he was doing this, his comedy timing is excellent for the most part.

Has a real good go at his first wife and Don King in particular lol.

A real tragedy that Cus D'Amato and Tyson didn't cross paths earlier in D'Amato's life because I don't think he'd have got in anywhere near the sort of mess he was in after he died with drugs, sex, that ridiculous rape conviction and his financial strife. Can't remember who trained him after D'Amato died but they completely changed his natural, unorthodox style that 1) Made him bloody difficult to hit and 2) Lessened his punching power.

He used to come out square to his opponents with his gloves covering his nose and mouth with a weird cobra thing going on with his upper body. Completely fucked up fighters who are used to facing a fighter leading with his left or right hand. I've never seen anyone else fight that way, I'm surprised no other trainer has picked up on it and used it tbh. Also allowed him to drive his punches more from his legs which gave him more punching power.

You should check it out, a very interesting and entertaining film.

Offline harv

« Reply #553 on: December 24, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
Finally got around to watching the first Expendables film, awesome lol ;D

Think I'll watch the second one tomorrow 8)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #554 on: December 24, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
Watched "2 Guns" the other night. Very manic, preposterous and (in my opinion) enjoyable action film with a twisty turny plot that is completely barmy with plenty of humour. Some good banter between the two main characters (Washington and Wahlberg). 7/10.